Today i happily turn in my dr residency!!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
When I was in Mexico in low season I asked for a discount in a hotel.
He wanted to charge more, because there were fewer tourists.
He got noting which seemed preferable.
Many of them don't get the concept of saving and planing for the future.
Rip off now what you can get, is the motto!

Big UPS do this guy, in his mind he was thinking take your business elsewhere "wedo" Just because you ask does not mean they have to give you a discount.

BTW Do you really think this guy lost sleep because you did not stay in his hotel? A tourist with a pocket full of money and cards in his pocket wanting a discount. How rich is that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Do The "MATH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA "Green Card" ("Residencia") $450 US for ten years.
DR "Residencia", 2 years, 4 years, who knows???? with a lawyer doing most of the work, $1,500 US.
"Green Card", live in the USA, with most, of the opportunities,health care, educational choices,rights, priveledges, protection of the civil and crimainal courts systems, of an American.
DR "Residencia", what??????
Sounds like a "No Brainer" to me!!!
Don't see millions of people from around the globe, waiting in line for a "Residencia" for the DR!
Biggest reason, no opportunities for a "Better Life" for you, and especially your children, in the DR!!!!!
Only people who want to live here, rather than stay home,are the "Haitianos".
"Oh!", and those of us from "Afar" with some money in our pockets that we earned before we got here!
I think most of you will get an "A+" on this exam!!
If you "fail" we have a course in "Remedial Logic" you can take for FREE!
It's called "Pay Attention To DR1".
They get it right!
Most of the Time!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"BCharles", have a "Personal Agenda" you wish to voice here?????????
Just a friendly reminder, to a "Newbee".
This is "DR1", not, "USA Bashing1.com"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you think that "Civil Liberties" are are respected in the DR, Move Here"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Dominican Efficacy- An Oxymoron

I have recently completed the renewal of my Permanent Residency, the total cost was $(US)1,667.00 using the offices of Guzman Ariza, a well known subscriber to this board.

The process took from 30th October to 18th December to complete. It involved 3 separate trips to the Capital - I live in Santiago.

It is NOT a cheap process and this was my fourth renewal and on this occasion it is for 4 years.

The difficulties I encountered from Migracion only confirmed to me just how difficult it would have been to attempt renewal without an attorney though I suspect one could find a cheaper attorney than Guzman Ariza.

No one ever accused the DR Government of efficacy.
If there would be intelligent organization, there would be offices in SDQ, STI AND POP.
This coupled with a streamlined system of one stop medical exams and paperwork.

To quote eastcoastmike post #14
"The money is only half of it.Im not running around this city getting letters,notarizations,police reports etc.I did this and they have everything on record.If they want to jack up the price dont aggravate me as well!"

I also find certification of certificates, notarizations,translations and the seemingly endless stream of paperwork
most annoying. At least let us pay and be done with it!
Seems the choice is ccccccccc? ...... do nothing be a tourist, that's what the sage Dominican would do!:ermm:

Oct 11, 2010
I'm all against the new law. But I find it funny how people compare the PR card with the US green card, and even say the green card is easier to get. They simply forget that in the DR you just get off the plane as a tourist and go to inmigraci?n and apply for your residency. You can't apply for a US green card like that. There are much tougher prerequisites. Also, I don't think everybody wants a green card. And those who do it's just because they watched too much TV. Most of us who post here must agree with that in one way or another, even if we say otherwise.

You CAN NOT apply for Dominican residency like that either. You CAN NOT "get off the plane as a tourist and go to immigration and apply for your residency." Perhaps you simply forgot or never new that the process to aquire permanent residency HERE in the Dominican Republic has to be initiated in your HOME COUNTRY.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You CAN NOT apply for Dominican residency like that either. You CAN NOT "get off the plane as a tourist and go to immigration and apply for your residency." Perhaps you simply forgot or never new that the process to aquire permanent residency HERE in the Dominican Republic has to be initiated in your HOME COUNTRY.

God...you all seem to be missing my point. My point is, ANYONE can do it and will be issued a resident card. Of course you need to have all the paper work with you and go through the process. No matter how much paper work you bring to the US, unless you're family related to a US citizen, or are sponsored by a company or meet some rare and exceptional requirements, you won't get a green card. So in that sense, it is easier (and cheaper) to get a resident in PR.

Geez...

And, as I said in my original post, I'm also affected by the new requirements. A 12 year resident shouldn't need to take a medical or have a "garante", so I reject this new law as much as the next guy.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
No Bull

Same thing in The US or any other country I know of...

As a permanent resident in Canada you are just that!
One goes through the process once and can apply for citizenship if desired after three years, or remain a permanent citizen for ever with the original citizenship retained.
That's the difference with a professional government.
NO BULL**** as here!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is sad that the DR government sees another money grab by making this process even more complicated. However, this does not surprise me at all. Ex-pats bring money into the country and into the DR economy. Maybe there should be some incentive for people to come to the DR and live rather than make it extremely difficult process. Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone in the government gives a s__t about foreign residents. Another strike against the DR Gov. for foreigners to consider staying at home or going to another country to live.

LTSteve

Feb 20, 2011
The discussion of the tourist visa penalties indicated that people who overstay tourist visas will be flagged and denied re-entry. If they are so far along in the overhaul of the residency process I thing it's safe to conclude they will overhaul the tourist visa process as they've indicated.

The revolving door in and out tourist visa system is coming to an end. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was said in previous discussions that legitimate tourists can come here twice or maybe three times a year for a specified period of two or three months or so.

I would find this hard to believe...after all, tourist dinero is what keeps the DR going and ****ing of tourists certainly would have no benefit to the DR; and how would that work anyways?
The guy checking your passport upon entry counting the stamps/weeks and/or times you entered in a particular year, computing in his head (what I think in itself would be impossible, lol) if you reached " the limit" and then telling you to sleep at the airport until you get a flight back as they don't want you to spend your dollars in their country?
Or would it be once you leave and they tell you never to come back and next time spend your money in Jamaica instead?
I guess I won't lose any sleep over this and cross that bridge when I get there...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Big UPS do this guy, in his mind he was thinking take your business elsewhere "wedo" Just because you ask does not mean they have to give you a discount.

BTW Do you really think this guy lost sleep because you did not stay in his hotel? A tourist with a pocket full of money and cards in his pocket wanting a discount. How rich is that.

Thank you,
For emphasizing my point on Latin thinking:glasses:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would find this hard to believe...after all, tourist dinero is what keeps the DR going and ****ing of tourists certainly would have no benefit to the DR; and how would that work anyways?
The guy checking your passport upon entry counting the stamps/weeks and/or times you entered in a particular year, computing in his head (what I think in itself would be impossible, lol) if you reached " the limit" and then telling you to sleep at the airport until you get a flight back as they don't want you to spend your dollars in their country?
Or would it be once you leave and they tell you never to come back and next time spend your money in Jamaica instead?
I guess I won't lose any sleep over this and cross that bridge when I get there...

Maybe if they stamped the passports w/ any organization they could see your patterns.

Once they tried to charge me for overstay (my resdiency was in for renewal)... I said no, just 30 dyas here.
They handed me back my passport, saying"Here- you find the stamp"

Which I did and got the RD shrug for it

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Slightly off topic but did they extend the length of the tourist visa from 30 to 60 days as I remember reading at some point?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Once again these Dominicans just push one too far until us foreigners simply say Ill keep my money in my own pocket.Now you get nothing from me.After 12 years as a DR resident I go to renew today.Never a pleasant process.I walk into the usual confusion,lack of order,no fans,cups on top of the water cooler etc.BUT in past years about $100 bucks and 3 hours later I was outta there.But today....OH NO!!!!!Immigration basically has everyone starting the process from day 1.Today I was informed that one must take a medical,cost 4500 pesos,100 pesos for the form to fill out,400 pesos for every month one is late renewing ones residency,VIP one day service 1000 pesos,4 year renewal 8000 pesos.But it gets better.One also has to go to the National Police to get a good conduct letters at what price I dont know,nothing is free).Then one must get a letter of solvency notarized,again, at what cost.Next is 3 frontal,3 profile pics,3 copies of your cedula ,residency,passport.
So lets do the math,upwards of 15,000 pesos or more depending on what these documents(letters) and pictures cost.Remember YOU are the one that needs to run around getting the papers in order.So include gas $ now maybe pushing 16,000 pesos to renew.Well thats 400 bucks US.This passed the abuse limit for me.I dont own a business here.Ill give the shotgun to the father in law(and avoid another tax by the way).For $400 dollars and days of aggravation that lie ahead you,the Dominican government, can keep my residency card and the zero dollar amount that goes with it.For the same $400 dollars I could enter the country 40 times in the next 4 years.One reaches a point where simple math sets in and the day comes to tell those setting these prices "go phuck yourself"! Ill happily spend that 400 bucks on myself!

I have the perfect solution

since i am now the vocal for the haitian immigrants in las terrenas

for those of you who wish to perhaps become a registered haitian immigrant
you get a photo id
with a number
and on the back is written in spanish that you are a haitian living here in accordance with the laws and that in case of arrest or death or illness, please call this number

we are trying to get all the thousands of haitian immigrants here registered with the haitian government
which is going to then issue them birth certificates and passports
all for 1500 pesos

which is about half a months wages for most of these guys

so if you wanted to help.. by being haitian in solidarity
that might help

i never got my cedula since they kept adding just one more layer of administrative work.. spent about 2k and then said to hell with it...

take me to haiti
they do better funerals anyway

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Once again these Dominicans just push one too far until us foreigners simply say Ill keep my money in my own pocket.Now you get nothing from me.After 12 years as a DR resident I go to renew today.Never a pleasant process.I walk into the usual confusion,lack of order,no fans,cups on top of the water cooler etc.BUT in past years about $100 bucks and 3 hours later I was outta there.But today....OH NO!!!!!Immigration basically has everyone starting the process from day 1.Today I was informed that one must take a medical,cost 4500 pesos,100 pesos for the form to fill out,400 pesos for every month one is late renewing ones residency,VIP one day service 1000 pesos,4 year renewal 8000 pesos.But it gets better.One also has to go to the National Police to get a good conduct letters at what price I dont know,nothing is free).Then one must get a letter of solvency notarized,again, at what cost.Next is 3 frontal,3 profile pics,3 copies of your cedula ,residency,passport.
So lets do the math,upwards of 15,000 pesos or more depending on what these documents(letters) and pictures cost.Remember YOU are the one that needs to run around getting the papers in order.So include gas $ now maybe pushing 16,000 pesos to renew.Well thats 400 bucks US.This passed the abuse limit for me.I dont own a business here.Ill give the shotgun to the father in law(and avoid another tax by the way).For $400 dollars and days of aggravation that lie ahead you,the Dominican government, can keep my residency card and the zero dollar amount that goes with it.For the same $400 dollars I could enter the country 40 times in the next 4 years.One reaches a point where simple math sets in and the day comes to tell those setting these prices "go phuck yourself"! Ill happily spend that 400 bucks on myself!

The Dominican Immigration Office is one of the biggest scams. Way back in 1980, my parents, who were born in DR but were naturalized Americans, were required to get Dominican Residency when they retired and went to live there. Can you believe that horsesh*t? They did it because their names were different in the US due to marriage(in my mom's case) or naming system(my dad's case, dropping the second last name) and it meant to get their Dominican cedulas from when they were young with different names(and maybe thats what they should have done, as many did precisely that, but my dad didnt like that kind of game).

WHAT A NIGHTMARE THAT WAS! NOBODY int the govt knew what the hell they were doing. I was born in the US and was probably the only one who should have had to do it.
Thankfully, in the 90s, the Leonel govt granted automatic dual residency to Dominicans with US citizenship.
WHY? TO KEEP THE DOLLARS COMING IN!!!

TO THIS DAY, I HATE GOING TO SANTO DOMINGO(used to live in Santiago), BECAUSE OF ALL THE TRIPS WE MADE FOR THIS, DUE TO THIS DR GOVT SCAM AND/OR IGNORANCE!!!

Last time I was there renewing( all I saw was actual foreigners(from Spain, Brazil, Russia,Haiti, USA, England and Canada) for the first time, at the cedula office, I said, to hell with this, this is my last time here! too expensive and too ridiculous)

I have kept the DR residency up to date even though I live in Miami now, just to keep my dominican resident cedula and drivers license up to date and because it was relatively inexpensive and really easy to renew( and excuse to go to DR more often!)....but they expire this month...I say no more!!! I'll become a Dominican citizen(more running around and getting some docs in NYC) thru my dominican parents if I need to live there again and just pay the 10 dollar fee at this airport when I visit.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The "permanent residency" in the DR is really just an extended visitors visa so you can spend more time there. Either you become a citizen or you are a permanent "tourist".

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The "permanent residency" in the DR is really just an extended visitors visa so you can spend more time there. Either you become a citizen or you are a permanent "tourist".

are they giving passports? I have a French friend who has been waiting for his for three years. Plus you have to go through all the residency stuff before the passport, right?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Passport

are they giving passports? I have a French friend who has been waiting for his for three years. Plus you have to go through all the residency stuff before the passport, right?

Yes I think you would have to be a permanent resident first. I think if your goal is to become a Dominican Citizen then it makes sense to get permanent residency. If it is just to spend time here than I see no need for it unless the rules here means you have to have it to be here more than 6 months. For business and buying property you can use your passport and I think that is recommendable anyway.