Topless sunbathing

D

Diane

Re: Rape To Diane

Bob, I am a psychologist and have studied and researched all over the world about rape and crime. First of, like any other crimes, rape does not pop up for no reasons. One who want something comes from the lack of having it. Why people steal? For the same reason, they don't have what they want. Some can control it, some can't. Same with rape. If you are deprived from sex, you will seek it even more. Why do everyone try not to pay taxes? Are we all criminals? Of course not, same reason as above. The more people are deprived from something, the more they will do it.

I have a very hard time to believe that your kid was offended by a topples women. Perhaps you have thought him that topples is indecent?

I have known several people (guys) from the USA while I resided in Florida, who always went to strip bars, almost everyday. For years. They had a job in Paris and left to Europe for a year. After they came back, they rarely went to strip bars, only for a drink. They got used to see topples girls, sex etc. It didn't bother them at all, and no longer had the urge to see flesh. That's because while in Europe, they were not deprived of sex, but in the USA, they were. That's the difference, and it makes all the difference.

Survey all the countries and you'll see. The more sex is legal, the less rapes. USA has the highest rape in the world, but 15 years ago, when strip bars were totally naked, they were 5th. Now that strip bars are bikini only, they are 1st. You call this coincidence? no it isn't, it's a fact.

Lets face it, what is so indecent about our naked bodies??? Why should we cover it???
Now let me explain this and hope that no one will be offended. But it's the pure truth...

Jealousies is the reason. YES it is. You see, if your wife see a naked man, and he has a bigger pecker than you, or has a much better looking behind, you're scared to loss your wife over another man. Same goes for man, if you see a woman with much nicer breast and behind, she will be scared that you'll go with her instead. That's where the "cover up" came about. It's the human nature to select only the very best. So hiding the very best will insure you that you will keep what you have, until you find the very best.

Needless to say, it is no ones right to dictate that nudity is bad, when in fact, nudity causes no harm, whereas rape does. Muchless to say, it's no ones right to dictate the purity of nature. What's next? Are we going to put clothes on animals and trees? But yet, TV shows animals making up! of course no one will be jealous of an animal, will they?

Lastly, restriction is not the solution, education is.

D

Diane

Re: Rape To Diane

Suzanne,

I agree with you for the most part, but rape comes from the lack of sexuality at childhood. But of course, their is always exceptions to the rules. Rapist themselves have no ideas as to why they rape. They think they do, but they don't. That's where my studies comes from. Some rape to get back at girls, because they've been hurt so badly. Read my post to Bob.

As for the helmet, I agree with you, but my point was, now that the kids wear safety helmet, they don't pay attention where they go, or if they get hit by a car. For example, in Canada, it's the law that you yield to pedestrians. Believe it or not, but the pedestrians doesn't look when crossing the road anymore. They use to. What I'm trying to say is, restrictions makes stupid.

As for restricting your children from watching sex on TV, why? they know it exist and need to learn. Even if not exposed to it, the brain makes it happen, and they will find a partner to try things out. And if they've been told that sex is bad, they'll do it without you knowing about it. But if they know it's allright, they'll talk to you about it and ask questions as to how it works, how do you do it, when etc. Now that would be the time to educate them, and this would be a nice relationship between the parents and the children. But nowaday, the parents are the enemy and the children are on their own, and do things without your involvement.

Children must see bad to know what's good, they must be hurt (so to speak) themselves to know what Love is. Without bad, how can we know what's not bad? Again, that's what restrictions does. It covers what we thinks is bad, and our children no longer knows the difference between good and bad. That's why kids nowadays uses guns and do more harmful things than ever before.

If you don't see your loveone for a long period of time, you realize how much you love them. Why? because you were hurt by their absence. Now that you've been hurt, you can tell the difference between Love and Hate.

BTW, I'm not trying to change the culture of DR and I accept the way they are, but I don't agree with those who are a DR guest and complain about topples in DR. If they don't like topples, they should go to Florida for vacation.

B

bob saunders

Re: DIANE:learn to read

Diane, you need to learn to read, what i said was my son wished that the two beautiful young British girls he had met were as open as the German girls he met in the DR. He is a normal sixteen year old male and his thought processes towards sex and women are typical for his generation. He has a healthy appetite for sex and enjoys looking at good looking women.

There are not more rape in the USA than any other country. Where do you get your facts? Maybe there are more people CHARGED or procecuted for rape.
Anyone who teachs their children that they need to do certain thing because they are safer also usually tells them the reason behind the rules. My job is safety, I'm a flight Safety Investigator and preach safety in everything I do.

I think that my wife and I have raised our children to respect all people, regardless of color, sex, race, country....etc. You may be a Psycologist but you really are out to lunch in some of your thought processes. Your choice of language when offended by TOMAS showed a lack of maturity. You show intense emotion, anger inappropiate for the situation. The tension you feel probably could be relieve by long intense sex. Hope you get it.

I also think your anti-American ravings are misplaced. The states, as an American you well know, are made up all people of all different stripes, just like every country. Certainly some area have repress sexual laws but my experience is most Americans live and let live unless their own personal values are threatened.

P

pablo

our history goes back only 200 years? my algonquin mother begs to differ, as most people would. the history of the americas did not begin with the arrival of europeans and the history of the united states did not begin with the pilgrims. is that what your history books teach?

T

tgf

Re: Well stated Bob S.

I question the broad statements made by Ms. Diane about rape in the United States and early exposure to sexuality thwarting sex crimes later in life. If these are facts, as she says they are, then she needs to please provide statistics and citations supporting her argument. I do know what is required for an intellectual argument and these supporting documents are necessary. Furthermore, I need to question the intellectual maturity of the poster. Diane you are a self-proclaimed psychologist and yet you make such statements as "all Americans are," etc. Broad generalizations encompassing a population of 270 million people composed of many ethnic groups hardly lends itself to scientific objectivity. Professional psychologists live for statistics and all studies utilize statistics to support the conclusions. You should provide some of your statistics if you really want to sway your readers.

Furthermore, I question your stance from another level. Either you are not a native English speaker, and in that case ignore my next comment, or you are quite young and have yet to attend college (a requirement for certified psychologists in the USA and, I assume, in Canada as well). In your posts your grammar and syntax structure reflect the abilities of someone who has not yet mastered the basics of English composition. Again, if you are not a native English speaker my apologies. However, if you are a native English speaker, your composition skills are not at a level required to be a professional psychologist or someone who attended a graduate studies program. I am not trying to be snotty but I have read all your posts and found too many consistent errors in simple sentences to believe the veracity of your claim that you are a professional psychologist - unless English is not your native language. Most readers know that I do not normally comment on issues of grammar, spelling, or syntax. Everyone, including myself, will make mistakes when commenting on message boards. However, the number of mistakes made in your comments only lends itself to someone who is not a native English
speaker (in that case your command of the English language is commendable) or someone at the high school level (this comes from twenty years experience teaching college students).

A final point. This whole thread is not about the issue of whether or not U.S. citizens are sexually uptight but about respect for Dominicans and their views. Yes, many foreign women choose to go topless while vacationing in the DR. However, you will rarely, if ever, see a Dominican woman go topless on the beach in the DR. This is viewed as something contrary to the norm. It is their country and they have the right to dictate what is acceptable. They tolerate foreigners going topless on their beaches because of the revenue tourism brings into their economy. However, they do not condone it and think it is a desirable attribute for all Dominicans to adopt. Nude beaches have yet to become acceptable for Dominicans. They do not view it as "normal" and "natural." We foreigners should respect their views on the subject even if we think differently.

P.S. There are numerous nude beaches in the United States. Come to Cape Cod, Maui, California, etc., and you can show off what God gave you in all its glory. I lived in Florida for many years and I never found it to be a sexually repressed part of the USA. There has always been an interesting duality in the US - what is permissible in the public eye and that what is permissible in the privacy of one's own home. That's the nature of the beast.

W

WBDominicana

Re: Topless. . . Guns

CES...that's interesting! My husband carried off-duty for almost 30 yrs here in the states and would go to great lengths to make sure that concealed WAS concealed. I've also noticed that some of these fellas are doing some pretty hard drinking while packing; is that the norm, also?
Thanks for your info!!
WBD

E

El Rubio

Re: Diane's award for stupidity

Well said Bob. I totally agree.

EL RUBIO

E

Ed Liebfried

US rape rates are largeley connected to the fact that Americans now have begun to report these incidents more than before. It's got nothing to do with sex, it's a power/abuse thing. BUT, having said that, I agree that most of my U.S. neighbors are very uptight about things that have virtually no effect on them, such as what someone else wears to the beach. Many of us go to the Carribean just to enjoy the same beaches as European and South American travelers. I've stopped for a beer with my taxi driver in Jamaica, and nobody got killed. Same goes for the beach. Nobody wants to offend local custom, and on public beaches we should take care not to do so. However, at resorts which cater to travelers from around the world, success depends greatly on making them all happy. Here, the staff should be trained in the customs of their clientele. I don't mean they need to change their values, only that they should understand that a topless Canadian, German, or Brazilian woman is NOT a cheap s*ut, and in time the staff will become comfortable dealing with these folks as regular people. The all-inclusives in Punta Cana surely fall into that category. Just my opinion.

H

hlywud

Not an American tradition most of the topless people in the DR are Europeans

E

Ello

Re: "Americans?, yep big country to the South,

who said that 12 years old are stupid? oh, I forgot, 12 years
in the USA are stupid, yes, every other kids in the world knows
maths at 6 years old.

and all others countries knows how to elect a president :eek:)

Americans = Money, sue, screw etc.

Everyone else = Art, Culture, Living, Loving, Helping etc.

S

Susanne

Yep - you got it. Couldn't say it better myself.

Regards,
Susanne - European;-)

T

Tom

Next time a vicious "dictator" decides to conquer the World, or a natural disater threatens millions, call the europeeans; they surely have the artistic and other resources to help

If it were not for the fact that I feel emphathy for people of natural disasters, humans rights abuse I would like to say 'Hey were the United States, we have every thing we need, we are staying home and you can just suffer"

E

Ello

Is that so? Here's what the Americans got to say about the
volcano eruption in Mexico, which threaten many lives...

"It is quite beautiful, if you want to call it that," Sergio Alcocer, director of the National Center for Disaster Prevention, told CNN.

Now if the Europeans would say the same thing when the floods killed many in the USA, it be a different story huh!

...and I bet you're proud to be an American "Tom"!

I would be ashame, and never will I have an American friend, and when I'll be back in DR, I'll do everything in my power to drag the Americans out of there. Nobody needs Americans, and DR sure don't need Americans to make it. DR people have hearts, and they succeed without Americans.

~Ello~

E

Ello

and here's another "trick" the USA is going to pull on DR very soon. Lets talk about the "big country to the South"...

European and many other citizens have it a little easier than US passport holders (citizens) in that their own country may fairly differentiate between being a citizen and being a resident. That is to say, RESIDENCY refers to where you legally live. Therefore, you may hold a Swiss passport (Swiss Citizenship), but you may be a legal resident of say the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, or somewhere else. Therefore, Switzerland may say, since you are not living full time as a resident of Switzerland, you are not obligated to pay tax to Switzerland. The logic is, you are not using the things you would normally pay tax for, so why should you pay? Things like salaries and costs for police, fire, road maintenance, schools, etc., etc. If you have no tax liabilities in the Dominican Republic, or a local tax rate that is a fraction of what it is in Europe (say 15% in the Dominican Republic vs. 60% in Europe), then you have effectively cut your taxes very legally by simply moving someplace else. This of course only applies if you are a citizen or passport holder of such a very fair country in Europe or somewhere other than the United States, that is.

For US citizens, it is important to note that while the US passport does permit extensive visa free travel, it is also the worst passport in the world to own with regards to taxation matters. The US government does feel it has the right to tax both US citizens and legal residents alike (holders of Non US passports & US residency or Green Cards take note) on worldwide income. This is regardless of where the person is living. Ironically, the US recognizes dual citizenship, despite what rumors you may have heard to the contrary. If they did not, they would force the surrender of passports and notify the related countries in cases of foreign persons becoming new US citizens (which is what Germany does, as Germany strictly prohibits dual citizenship). It is interesting to also note that the US truly does not care about whatever other passports new citizens formally held, providing they pay up. That is to say, providing they pay into the US tax system, and continue paying. In this regard, they are truly democratic and without prejudice (taking tax money from all equally).

T

Tom

Poor Ellio,

Ello

I'm sorry that the US won't grant you citizenship, but happy to know "you never had an American friend, will do everything in your "power" to drag the US out of the DR etc.. I wonder what really happened to you? Did your Mother drop you on your head once too often/

Do me a favor and follow someone elses posts for a while, or...what an idea...CONTRIBUTE something?????

S

Susanne

I was being sarcastic, Tom. Of course you can't put it like that. You really ought to know that I don't feel that Americans are worse or better than Europeans. I don't believe in stereotypes.

Regards,
Susanne

C

CES

Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana:)

>>> "Respectable (and less-than respectable) Dominican females do not go topless; in fact, young girls there frequently wear a t-shirt OVER a swimsuit when on the beach. . ." <<<

~ Estimada WBDominicana,

I guess I'm just a little LATE with this response, as is my habit- not enough time in a day to attend to all the important things going on in the cyber world. lol

Ms. Dominicana, your response is exactly as what I would expect from a proper Dominican lady of good upbringing. Nudity on public beaches (not resort controlled areas) in the context of a "Dominican family" outing just isn't proper, period. As you've stated "when in Roma" particularly applies when children or grandparents are present. On the beach areas directly controlled by a resort an entirely different situation occurs, the attendance of large numbers of Europeans and Canadians. What to do? The resort is in business to make money and the preponderance of guests are non Dominican. How can the resort reasonably require the offending guests (nude) to cover up? The all mighty dollar\/peso rules in this case, much to my consternation. Lest any of the good readers here think that I'm just an old prude, let me assure you that I can be just as much the "leach" as need be, in my own mind. I guess one answer would to post the beach with a warning, something about the presence of topless sun loving 'uro dollars' and 'loonies' (be spent:).

Regards,

. . . CES

ps . . . "una Dominicana", mi esposito, has just returned from holiday in the DR and commented on the 'toplessness' of "Casa del Mar", it didn't bother her one bit (I was here, California and she was there, if you catch my drift . . . :)

Click on for link to original message:

W

WBDominicana

Re: ANY sunbathing; to CES

Dear CES...Happy Holidays & thank you for your thoughtful (as always) response! So as to not start another war of words on the ol' board (esp. at this season!) let me just say that once again I'm happy to hear your voice of reason and sanity on another touchy subject.
I can't think of a place I'd rather be tonight than a beach in the RD, with OR sans my shirt. Here in the upper midwest, it's 3.0 (three) degrees F. with God-only-knows-what wind chill reading!
Have a warm and wonderful New Year's!!!
Fondly,
-WBD

S

Sue

Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana:)

I agree with everything you said, except for the part about Canadians. Canadians rarely go topless, or at least the ones I know, as your message seems to imply. You have mistaken us for the Europeans. I've often wished for that overall tan but try as I might I just can't bear to bare it all ;-).