Tourist completely vanished in Santo Domingo

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Family is desperate and seeking answers. Has been posting the following on social media and wants everyone to share:

"Missing Person / Persona Desaparecida

Magnús Kristinn Magnússon is an Icelandic national born in 1987. He stands at approximately 1.87 meters in height, has very short dark hair, and typically has a beard. His eyes are blue-grey, and he has an athletic body.
He entered the Dominican Republic through Santo Domingo Airport on the 3rd of September. However, we have not received any communication from him since Sunday, the 10th of September, and we also have no record of any credit card usage beyond that date. We are deeply concerned about his safety and are desperately seeking assistance from anyone in the area who may be able to help us locate him.
--
(translated)
Magnús Kristinn Magnússon es un ciudadano islandés nacido en 1987. Tiene aproximadamente 1,87 metros de altura, cabello corto y oscuro, y suele llevar barba. Sus ojos son de color azul grisáceo y tiene un cuerpo atlético.
Ingresó a la República Dominicana a través del Aeropuerto de Santo Domingo el 3 de septiembre. Sin embargo, no hemos recibido ninguna comunicación de él desde el domingo 10 de septiembre, y tampoco tenemos registro de ningún uso de tarjeta de crédito después de esa fecha. Estamos profundamente preocupados por su seguridad y estamos buscando desesperadamente la ayuda de cualquier persona en la zona que pueda ayudarnos a localizarlo.

🙏🙏🙏"

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Family is desperate and seeking answers. Has been posting the following on social media and wants everyone to share:

"Missing Person / Persona Desaparecida

Magnús Kristinn Magnússon is an Icelandic national born in 1987. He stands at approximately 1.87 meters in height, has very short dark hair, and typically has a beard. His eyes are blue-grey, and he has an athletic body.
He entered the Dominican Republic through Santo Domingo Airport on the 3rd of September. However, we have not received any communication from him since Sunday, the 10th of September, and we also have no record of any credit card usage beyond that date. We are deeply concerned about his safety and are desperately seeking assistance from anyone in the area who may be able to help us locate him.
--
(translated)
Magnús Kristinn Magnússon es un ciudadano islandés nacido en 1987. Tiene aproximadamente 1,87 metros de altura, cabello corto y oscuro, y suele llevar barba. Sus ojos son de color azul grisáceo y tiene un cuerpo atlético.
Ingresó a la República Dominicana a través del Aeropuerto de Santo Domingo el 3 de septiembre. Sin embargo, no hemos recibido ninguna comunicación de él desde el domingo 10 de septiembre, y tampoco tenemos registro de ningún uso de tarjeta de crédito después de esa fecha. Estamos profundamente preocupados por su seguridad y estamos buscando desesperadamente la ayuda de cualquier persona en la zona que pueda ayudarnos a localizarlo.

🙏🙏🙏"
Who was he visiting, are the PN involved, did he have a hotel reservation or other destination. Not many folks come alone to visit Dingo. This is quite smelly, as usual

Reactions: jd426

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've seen it posted all over FB. So sad. I do think the police have been notified.

Oh, I always came alone to Santo Domingo.
I said not many or very few. You are not in the majority. Besides, clearly you know what I meant.

Seems like there's alot missing here to even begin. Very weak data to move forward with.

Reactions: cavok and jd426

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I hate to say it, but what's the chance he was met at the airport by his campo long-distance girlfriend, had his phone stolen, and is staying at some resort with her?

Reactions: Seamonkey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I also have seen this all over Facebook (maybe first saw it about a week ago?). Seems there is very limited information on what his plans were while in the DR.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I hate to say it, but what's the chance he was met at the airport by his campo long-distance girlfriend, had his phone stolen, and is staying at some resort with her?
Lol you've been here so long you are making scenarios up that cover tracks of people you don't even know (a classic Dominican trait). His family is looking for him but 20 days go buy without him contacting them. There's glaringly too little data here to even begin. A febu gf makes "some" sense, but I would say if that were the case it was a sting and he's long at the bottom of the river. Either way I doubt this ends well.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Flying all the way from Iceland to DR to meet an online girlfriend? Good lord.
You obviously have no clue. I have known "chicas" here who befriend say a German guy, whom they convince to send them remittances even before meeting them. Do men fly here to meet chicas they've only met on social media. Happens all over the world. Alas, maybe you were being sarcastic.

Reactions: jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Lol you've been here so long you are making scenarios up that cover tracks of people you don't even know (a classic Dominican trait). His family is looking for him but 20 days go buy without him contacting them. There's glaringly too little data here to even begin. A febu gf makes "some" sense, but I would say if that were the case it was a sting and he's long at the bottom of the river. Either way I doubt this ends well.
Almost all People now a days have an Online Presence .. and for those who Post and keep that going when they travel, there is as a pattern , it takes almost ZERO Effort for a Good investigator to look at all his Logins and see if there was any activity .. If everything when dark when he landed or before, then there is a very big Possibility he has met with Bad Luck of some kind.. OR does not want to be found .. Either they are not releasing the info they already have, or there is none . but People dont just go Poof into thin Air , when they land in the DR . He would have to be very very unlucky to have met a complete stranger at the Airport.
And most people have PLANS, like at least what HOTEL to check into
The biggest questions are , Did this guy have a Novia in Santo Domingo ?( and this could easily be found out ).. and was he a Seasoned Traveler or a Newbie? .
Like you said, Newbies have no business just landing in Santo Domingo on their own . with no Hotel ? makes zero sense . Unless they have done it before with known People.
No credit card usage also means nothing by iteself . Some people who are seasoned travelers come with cash, convert to Local Currency and never exceed their Budget for the Trip.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Flying all the way from Iceland to DR to meet an online girlfriend? Good lord.
It is actually THE MOST LIKELY Scenario... 90 % probability.. imo, nothing else even comes close .
This is what Single Men do now ... and it would explain the " no plans" and lack of Hotel Reservations .
Hopefully he was not Cat Phished by some Male(s) ,using fake Photos etc ..

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Almost all People now a days have an Online Presence .. and for those who Post and keep that going when they travel, there is as a pattern , it takes almost ZERO Effort for a Good investigator to look at all his Logins and see if there was any activity .. If everything when dark when he landed or before, then there is a very big Possibility he has met with Bad Luck of some kind.. OR does not want to be found .. Either they are not releasing the info they already have, or there is none . but People dont just go Poof into thin Air , when they land in the DR . He would have to be very very unlucky to have met a complete stranger at the Airport.
And most people have PLANS, like at least what HOTEL to check into
The biggest questions are , Did this guy have a Novia in Santo Domingo ?( and this could easily be found out ).. and was he a Seasoned Traveler or a Newbie? .
Like you said, Newbies have no business just landing in Santo Domingo on their own . with no Hotel ? makes zero sense . Unless they have done it before with known People.
No credit card usage also means nothing by iteself . Some people who are seasoned travelers come with cash, convert to Local Currency and never exceed their Budget for the Trip.
Remember Daryll Fornicova up here in Cab? Another horse hockey tale

Reactions: USA DOC and jd426

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
There have been times in my life when I have fantasized about simply disappearing.
Dropping off the face of the earth...so to speak.
Starting all over in a new place where nobody knows who I am...anonymous.
Free to be whatever I want.
For some strange reason this situation gives me those vibes.
Wherever he is and whatever he is doing...
I wish him well.
I hope for him the best.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If it is found that this Young Man had PROBLEMS back home , which seemed Hopeless to him... that would actually be a Good thing in this Scenario.
And perhaps he just needed a Month or 2 to completely decompress ..
Perhaps not fair to his Family, but a heck of a lot better than like Suicide.

Reactions: aarhus

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If it is found that this Young Man had PROBLEMS back home , which seemed Hopeless to him... that would actually be a Good thing in this Scenario.
And perhaps he just needed a Month or 2 to completely decompress ..
Perhaps not fair to his Family, but a heck of a lot better than like Suicide.
Somehow this doesn't fit a suicide profile.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I always thought that you had to put your "destination" on your immigration forms, such as hotel, etc... His family/friends did not seem to know where he was staying, etc...
That's what I'm saying, maybe they didn't know, but it also doesn't indicate whether they knew or not. Who makes a missing persons report with such little data