Transformer and generator suggestions

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
Seen, not recognized

You have probably seen them, just not recognized them for what they are. Usually green in color, rectangular metal boxes sitting on small concrete pads. They vary in size according to their capacity. Common in commercial areas, housing developements, etc.

G

gary short

gary short ... I've deleted your rude reply. If you want to give advice, be sure you know what you are talking about. In this instance, you don't. And kindly keep your replies from being rude. You will be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gary short

Read the previous reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
GKC said:
You have probably seen them, just not recognized them for what they are. Usually green in color, rectangular metal boxes sitting on small concrete pads. They vary in size according to their capacity. Common in commercial areas, housing developements, etc.

You're right. I've seen them many times. ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
5kw is ample for critical household needs.
Before y'all start to do battle, please let me interject and ask you not to.
This thread is going to be useful to a lot of people in future, kind of like a sticky, as it addresses many electrical issues that newbies need to know about.
So permit me to asnwer the size question from a mathematical point of view.
A 5k transformer for the exclusive usage of one single dwelling, could supply approx 20 amps per 110 volt line.
This could be enough for a small economical type house, with 1 small AC, if it is really well planned and balanced.
You would be on the edge most of the time, if you were using standard devices that are high consumption, like a hot water tank, water pump, washing machine, ACs and fridges.
For example, I have a new 12,000 btu Amana AC unit, which is highly rated for it's efficiency.
If it were to be running at the same time as the washing machine, on the same 110 line, and the waterpump came on, "KAPLOUIE", I would well exceed the maximum potential 20 amps.
Considering that the other 110 line would have to support the hot water tank, the fridge, all the lights, computers, TV's, fans. etc, this would only be feasible if you had a special set up, like a solar powered hot water tank, a "ladrone" water pump, a small 5,000 btu efficient AC, a small efficient fridge, a small twin tub washer, and not run the pump at the same time, low consumption light bulbs, etc.
It can be done, but just barely, and you would probably shorten the life of the transformer.
Any device that functions to maximim capacity over an extended period of time, will burn out quickly.
The OP's question about a 15K transformer, if it is for his exclusive usage, could supply any average house.
If he builds a mansion and has no concern for efficient devices, he would need more.

G

gary short

Thanks to DR1 the OP can get an educated calculated reply from an established electrical contractor once he PM'd........ME.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Gary, with all respect and with great patience I'm going to come back to you one more time. In 600 plus posts you have not made yourself a good reference on electrical issues in the DR. The operative word is in the DR. Also, giving advice without knowing the conditions (in the DR), or the specification, is like trying to shoot at a moving target and does not place you in a position of being knowledgable.

Both Hillbilly and I looked at the situation (and I have actually seen it physically) and said, uh-oh! this is not normal, better check it out. You, with no record of knowing any of this stuff, not living in the DR, as far as I know, not having any experience here, gives numbers and when I suggest that you do not do that, you become rude.

I suggest now that you look at Rocky's reply. He is also not an electrical engineer. Here in the DR, we learn to do a lot of stuff. I asked you earlier 5kW of what? are you talking about a generator? are you talking about a transformer? I'm telling you know that a 5kW generator is not suitable for this purpose. As far as a transformer is concerned, I do not know what capacity is installed .. and how many houses are involved, so I would not even take a wild guess.

Let me follow Rocky's lead and like an adult, address the one issue that newby's certainly need to know about. Use electrical contractors or engineers that understand the conditions in the DR. So, to the op, I would suggest and many with experience would concur that you get an experienced electrician (DR experience) or electrical engineer to check out the issue of the transformer. You are on Edenorte and this is their equipment. Secondly, now that this issue has come up, check out the rest of your house as well, when you have an experienced person there.

So Gary, if you want to establish yourself as a knowledgable person on this board about electrical issues ... be sure that there are lots of people here that know a tremendous amount. I am sure they would welcome you into their ranks. Real practical people that run businesses and houses on a mix of generators, inverters, batteries and other additional power systems, maintain their systems and stay up at a reasonable price with a variable quantity and quality of street power.

G

gary short

Rocky given his load requirements he needs a 45kva transformer as suggested. If he pad mounts it on his property great( aluminum wound, half the price of copper). Check loading of each incoming hot line with a clampon ampmeter after turning everything on and calculate the size of transformer + aprox 20%. Make sure both hots have aprox same amps if not balance loads by moving circuits in panel. Make sure the wire size is correct for your size of service next invite some really really really knowledgable person to make sure you're on track.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So Gary, how many establishments have you done specifications for, or electrical contracting for in the DR? Houses? Businesses? How large and how small, and how well are they running?

G

gary short

Chris said:
Gary, with all respect and with great patience I'm going to come back to you one more time. In 600 plus posts you have not made yourself a good reference on electrical issues in the DR. The operative word is in the DR. Also, giving advice without knowing the conditions (in the DR), or the specification, is like trying to shoot at a moving target and does not place you in a position of being knowledgable.

Both Hillbilly and I looked at the situation (and I have actually seen it physically) and said, uh-oh! this is not normal, better check it out. You, with no record of knowing any of this stuff, not living in the DR, as far as I know, not having any experience here, gives numbers and when I suggest that you do not do that, you become rude.

I suggest now that you look at Rocky's reply. He is also not an electrical engineer. Here in the DR, we learn to do a lot of stuff. I asked you earlier 5kW of what? are you talking about a generator? are you talking about a transformer? I'm telling you know that a 5kW generator is not suitable for this purpose. As far as a transformer is concerned, I do not know what capacity is installed .. and how many houses are involved, so I would not even take a wild guess.

Let me follow Rocky's lead and like an adult, address the one issue that newby's certainly need to know about. Use electrical contractors or engineers that understand the conditions in the DR. So, to the op, I would suggest and many with experience would concur that you get an experienced electrician (DR experience) or electrical engineer to check out the issue of the transformer. You are on Edenorte and this is their equipment. Secondly, now that this issue has come up, check out the rest of your house as well, when you have an experienced person there.

So Gary, if you want to establish yourself as a knowledgable person on this board about electrical issues ... be sure that there are lots of people here that know a tremendous amount. I am sure they would welcome you into their ranks. Real practical people that run businesses and houses on a mix of generators, inverters, batteries and other additional power systems, maintain their systems and stay up at a reasonable price with a variable quantity and quality of street power.

Again Chris and I'm being as patient as possible. The OP is getting advice for a contractor that has wired and designed systems for pulp mills to breweries and the occasional house. But be assured your input is valued none the less......

G

gary short

Chris said:
So Gary, how many establishments have you done specifications for, or electrical contracting for in the DR? Houses? Businesses? How large and how small, and how well are they running?
Why,do electrons flow faster in the DR............probably slower.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
gary short said:
Why,do electrons flow faster in the DR............probably slower.
That answers my question - and for all of the old timers, it would answer the question as well. I have now asked you two or three questions. You have not answered one. Here is one more. In the DR, what is the building code and common practice regarding the grounding system in a building?

Apologies, I see you attempted to answer one. Let me give you an idea .. the issue goes to local experience. And not giving this issue space and time, you make it very clear that you have none.

Last edited:
G

gary short

I've posted here regarding grounding add nauseam.......if your so interested do a search.......don't dis me....you're not even remotely qualified.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Gary, where have you done any work in the DR? How well does your installation work, and how have you overcome local customs? Simple, before I can take you seriously, surely you can answer a simple question. And yes, I am totally qualified to ask this question and the assess the answer.

G

gary short

Chris said:
That answers my question - and for all of the old timers, it would answer the question as well. I have now asked you two or three questions. You have not answered one. Here is one more. In the DR, what is the building code and common practice regarding the grounding system in a building?

Apologies, I see you attempted to answer one. Let me give you an idea .. the issue goes to local experience. And not giving this issue space and time, you make it very clear that you have none.

Hey this is fun.............Hey Chris why don't you tell me the rules and give me some data that you've calculated and I'll correct it ....READY.....GO!!!!

G

gary short

Just wait I have to run out and get a sixpack and some chips.

Jan 5, 2006
To the OP, I would suggest that you get a qualified local electrician to deal with your situation. From personal experience, I can tell you that things get too complicated for any foreigner, even those with above average knowledge of household electrical circuits, when it comes to more advanced electrical wiring in DR, which is obviously your case. There are way too many variables involved for someone to adecuately assist you without the chance to have a first hand look at your particular setup.

In my house, we have a setup involving the power company, an inverter with battery bank, and a 12Kw LPG fueled generator. I have very good knowledge of residential wiring practices and code in the US, and I wouldn't even attempt to touch it, especially when labor from someone who is qualified and familiar with it, is really dirt cheap. If someone needs to read the instructions, they're not qualified! ;)

As for buying the generator, I went to the big "ferreterias" in Santiago (Ochoa, Hache, Bellon) and to Ferreteria Americana in SD and found the prices way too high. I bought the generator in the US and paid $600 USD to ship it door to door, including duties, and came out ahead of the game.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
gary short said:
Hey this is fun.............Hey Chris why don't you tell me the rules and give me some data that you've calculated and I'll correct it ....READY.....GO!!!!
Because we need a Dominican savvy electrician or electrical engineer as I think someone wants to charge the op an undocumented 'gringo' tax. Get it? I think he does not need a transformer OK. I think we don't need to calculate anything OK... and I never said I could calculate this, but you did!

Now you want to sit on your perch somewhere up North and tell us down here how to install a transformer. Gary, go eat your chips, drink your beer and keep quiet about this issue. You will make a fool of yourself. I cannot be clearer than this. Eat Chip! Drink Beer! Watch TV! Be Quiet! Repeat six times.... I think I know, but I don't!

Btw, I just did a search ... I find a lots of grounding of chicas perhaps but nothing about grounding in terms of this discussion. Give it up Gary.. if you want to come down here and learn how they do it... do that. But don't try and teach granma to suck eggs, OK. Thanks Hipocrito Meijia! <!-- v3 Arcade -->

G

gary short

Chris said:
Because we need a Dominican savvy electrician or electrical engineer as I think someone wants to charge the op an undocumented 'gringo' tax. Get it? I think he does not need a transformer OK. I think we don't need to calculate anything OK... and I never said I could calculate this, but you did!

Now you want to sit on your perch somewhere up North and tell us down here how to install a transformer. Gary, go eat your chips, drink your beer and keep quiet about this issue. You will make a fool of yourself. I cannot be clearer than this. Eat Chip! Drink Beer! Watch TV! Be Quiet! Repeat six times.... I think I know, but I don't!

Btw, I just did a search ... I find a lots of grounding of chicas perhaps but nothing about grounding in terms of this discussion. Give it up Gary.. if you want to come down here and learn how they do it... do that. But don't try and teach granma to suck eggs, OK. Thanks Hipocrito Meijia! <!-- v3 Arcade -->

Hey come on what about your calculations I've got to correct.....you're not playing anymore? Well anyway thanks again for your input.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Peace, Love & Happiness...

Back on track, for a moment, in between battles.
I would like to mention that a 15K transformer would do all of Rocky's, just fine, and although we do use efficient light bulbs and try to not be wasteful, our consumption is certainly greater than the average house, as we run so many more fans, lights and fridges.
So the question comes back to the beginning, (and we have yet to find out if the OP has exclusive usage of said transformer) is someone trying to scam him by telling him he needs a 50k transfo?
A total of some odd 130 amps at 110 volts from the 15k tranformer, is more than ample for any standard house.
So we'll have to wait to hear from the OP, with regards to it being shared or not, with neighbours.