Transformer and generator suggestions

G

gary short

Up north the average house was supplied by a 100 amp service. More often than not now it's a 200 amp service. Big places 400 amp. 45KVA transformers are off the shelf..wait that's three phase. Single phase transformers off the shelf 15kva-125amps. 25kva-208amps, 37.5kva-312amps

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
Back on track, for a moment, in between battles.
I would like to mention that a 15K transformer would do all of Rocky's, just fine, and although we do use efficient light bulbs and try to not be wasteful, our consumption is certainly greater than the average house, as we run so many more fans, lights and fridges.

Yes, Rocky! 60 Amps as per normal going into the house - coming off of the street without asking... Fairly new installation.... Hence... to the OP... don't buy a transformer. Check the stuff out first. I think someone is trying to make you do something that sounds really strange to most of us.
The Op wants to install an efficient AC for one room only. The rest is normal usage, including waterpump and pool.

G

gary short

60 AMPS wouldn't cut it for the OP unless he was really power smart and balanced his load......real fine line. And if he needs to change his service go big cause it won't cost a lot more. Go 200 amps. Sorry again Chris apperantly we disagree. I'm sure you've caculated his load demand.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Always willing to learn

gary short said:
60 AMPS wouldn't cut it for the OP unless he was really power smart and balanced his load......real fine line. And if he needs to change his service go big cause it won't cost a lot more. Go 200 amps. Sorry again Chris apperantly we disagree. I'm sure you've caculated his load demand.
If you don't mind, I would like to know why you think 60 amps wouldn't cut it.
I understand that you are a pro and I an amateur in this field, but I would like to explain what I am basing my calculations on.
As we have terrible wiring problems and bad balancing in the neighbourhood with our shared street transformer, I spend a lot of time switching "macheti" type breakers, that change my supply source, from one phase to the other, according to the incoming voltage.
I also spend a lot of time measuring amperage consumption, as some of my neighbours have the nasty habit of hooking into my power lines.
That being said, with everything running, I have never quite managed to hit 60 amps, and that includes the inverter charging the batteries, after power failures.
As we have 7 fridges, 12 overhead fans and 3 floor models, 7 computers, and 6 TVs, a big water pump, a giant washing machine, and one 12,000 btu AC unit, I can't see how the OP would consume more than I do, and I never hit the 60 amp zone.
I have come close, but never made it all the way there.
As the OP needs a bit of leighway, but would consume less than us, I am still convinced the 15k transformer would do the job.
I am however open to learning something new, if I am wrong.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Oy Vey

You guys crack me up. I didn't mean to start a war over what I thought would be a few simple suggestions.

I've been in contact with Marco and it sounds like he's got a grasp of the situation.

Chris, when you were at the house I originally thought that I'd only want the office air conditioned, however after spending 4 nights there we realized that it'd be nice to have the option to have the bedrooms conditioned as well. The house currently has a 6 battery inverter and a pre-wired pad for a generator. It also has solar water heat and no additional major appliances.

I certainly do NOT want to replace the transformer and would love to get by with the most economical generator possible.

That's about it. Any recommendations for local contractors please PM me and Chris if I could run some of the PM'd suggestions by you I'd greatly appriciate it.

Thanks you to you all. Now play nice kids :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this is a big sand box. With all that has been kicked around, I don't think you would need a pad mounted transformer (and they need to be out of the weather), just a check of the wiring circuits, and a professional installation of a medium sized genset (propane or diesel).....

Get on the bus!!

HB :D:D

G

gary short

Rocky said:
If you don't mind, I would like to know why you think 60 amps wouldn't cut it.
I understand that you are a pro and I an amateur in this field, but I would like to explain what I am basing my calculations on.
As we have terrible wiring problems and bad balancing in the neighbourhood with our shared street transformer, I spend a lot of time switching "macheti" type breakers, that change my supply source, from one phase to the other, according to the incoming voltage.
I also spend a lot of time measuring amperage consumption, as some of my neighbours have the nasty habit of hooking into my power lines.
That being said, with everything running, I have never quite managed to hit 60 amps, and that includes the inverter charging the batteries, after power failures.
As we have 7 fridges, 12 overhead fans and 3 floor models, 7 computers, and 6 TVs, a big water pump, a giant washing machine, and one 12,000 btu AC unit, I can't see how the OP would consume more than I do, and I never hit the 60 amp zone.
I have come close, but never made it all the way there.
As the OP needs a bit of leighway, but would consume less than us, I am still convinced the 15k transformer would do the job.
I am however open to learning something new, if I am wrong.

I'm surprised that a 60 amp service would run all of you gear. Is there a 60 amp main breaker or fusing ahead of your panel. What is the incoming wire size? It's possible that you do not have a main brkr and that the primary on the pole is fused high. It's amazing how many amps can be pushed down small wire given a free air enviroment.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jackieboo said:
You guys crack me up. I didn't mean to start a war over what I thought would be a few simple suggestions.

I've been in contact with Marco and it sounds like he's got a grasp of the situation.

War? You should have seen what I deleted.... ! You saw the tame stuff!

Yes, Marco would have a grasp, so would Hillbilly, so would a few others, but Gary comes a little 'short'.

My job today was to make sure that he does not talk you into a quick install of another transformer.... You'll get the hang of how we work here... Today I played the bad cop! But, we are generally good to the newbys ;) Sorry Gary :laugh::laugh::laugh: You're outclassed ... wanna talk about running according to real DR requirements? I'll give you a hint... Ask some questions first buddy....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry, I cannot help this ... I cannot help myself. If you guys saw what this fellow called me today, you'll let me run at the mouth a further minute or so here.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Standard Dominican Household Installation Gary! Not a US Installation. Ask a question ... Ask someone what is the standard here! :tired::tired:

gary short said:
I'm surprised that a 60 amp service would run all of you gear. Is there a 60 amp main breaker or fusing ahead of your panel. What is the incoming wire size? It's possible that you do not have a main brkr and that the primary on the pole is fused high. It's amazing how many amps can be pushed down small wire given a free air enviroment.

G

gary short

Wow Hillbilly was that comment directed towards me? . Lets get this straight right now, there's only one way to wire things, the right way, period. The argument that since you're in the DR electrical installations should be different is bogus. Electrical engineering is exactly the same all over the world. The math doesn't change........ got it.

G

gary short

Gee sorry Chris I didn't call you anything worse than an idiot why don't you bring back those posts that you deleted.......ummmmm.......because you look like a fool.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
gary short said:
Wow Hillbilly was that comment directed towards me? . Lets get this straight right now, there's only one way to wire things, the right way, period. The argument that since you're in the DR electrical installations should be different is bogus. Electrical engineering is exactly the same all over the world. The math doesn't change........ got it.

Oh man... I'm getting tired of my own voice (fingers) here. Gary, there is NO ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION IN THE DR THAT IS CORRECTLY DONE! AS FAR AS WHAT YOU WOULD CALL CORRECT. IT IS NOT A BOGUS ARGUMENT, IT IS THE FACT! WE DEAL WITH IT DAILY!

Even in our home home, we do a cheat ... we have some wall plugs earthed and others not. We had a bad lightening strike up the road just a week ago. Even in our house, that has a whole mess of protections as we have a lot of computer and satellite equipment, the strike came up through the ground plane and because the wiring is so **** poor, we lost of whole mess of stuff. And we are better wired, protected and looked after than most! The transformer outside on the pole (we don't have individual line transformers per house here.....) looked a little skewed after the strike. It took EdeNorte 4 days to fix the stuff. There was a whole lot of damage here. GET IT GARY! THINGS ARE NOT DONE ACCORDING TO CODE HERE!

There is no right way here. Get it now ... please please.....

G

gary short

Hey Chris I know what the wiring is like there I'm not diputing that it's dodgey........what the hell is your point. I'm trying to offer up some free educated advise ...you on the other hand have not a clue as to what you're talking about and yet want to be argumentative .....why? And you're wondering why my back is up????

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting arguments. My wife's cousin is an electrician in Jarabacoa and in my discussions with him, it is obvious that he knows how to correctly wire a house, how to install a proper ground...etc. Does he do it when he wires a house, beats me. I think Chris and Gary are both wrong. There are different ways of correctly doing the proper job, and I believe there are electricians in the DR are do things correctly.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Anyhow, if it will put this whole thing to rest, I'll be going over to the OP's house and will measure the consumption with everything on that we can put on, then add on whatever extras, such as the AC's he intends to add, and it is nothing more than simple mathematics, at that point.
I will give you all news of the results in a few days.

G

gary short

Ad a boy Bob there are electricians in the DR that do the job properly....why I've seen it myself. There are no different ways of wiring something.........no Bob.......only one way...... Maybe I'll head down and wire up some factories or a mine or two.......then I'll ask advise from the local DR1 members. I can't wait.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
Ad a boy Bob there are electricians in the DR that do the job properly....why I've seen it myself. There are no different ways of wiring something.........no Bob.......only one way...... Maybe I'll head down and wire up some factories or a mine or two.......then I'll ask advise from the local DR1 members. I can't wait.
Stay tuned for a couple of days.
I will post the results.