Treatment as foreigner

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I recall there was a thread about this a while ago, where basically some were bragging on how much do they pay for this and that or tip, as the "going rates" were not appropriate for them as that would be been disrespectful towards the workers. The problem is exactly the above, in my opinion. The market is what it is, one person, foreigner or not, cannot change it. If the going rate for a taxi ride is 150 pesos and you decide to "tip" 500 pesos, that does not exactly give a good impression of you and then the driver will be expecting that the same time as well...

I would say that only those people call others "tacano" who have no idea of working...
I can agree with some of what you wrote, but not all. We have become friends with our barber and I always overtip him. I'm also happy to give the gas station dudes and moto taxis an extra 50 or 100 pesos, depending on what they did and what's in my pocket. Same with the bagger boy. I would normally give them 30 pesos but if I don't have change, 50 is not a big deal.

But no, I would never tip 500 for a 150 moto ride. That's just silly. I do tend to be more generous with people I know.

Reactions: Lucifer

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I disagree with the OP. Everything he said is true, however it does not apply exclusively to gringos, it also applies to " well off " Dominicans.
Ya think? The well-off Dominicans I know avoid these people for this very reason. The tell me - don't associate with Dominicans that are below your economic class.

Reactions: Fulano2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I can agree with some of what you wrote, but not all. We have become friends with our barber and I always overtip him. I'm also happy to give the gas station dudes and moto taxis an extra 50 or 100 pesos, depending on what they did and what's in my pocket. Same with the bagger boy. I would normally give them 30 pesos but if I don't have change, 50 is not a big deal.

But no, I would never tip 500 for a 150 moto ride. That's just silly. I do tend to be more generous with people I know.
Really? You're supposed to tip the gas station guys? Never knew that. Is there anyone here that isn't looking for a tip? I never knew you had to tip the motoconcheros either.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Really? You're supposed to tip the gas station guys? Never knew that. Is there anyone here that isn't looking for a tip? I never knew you had to tip the motoconcheros either.
If the gas station guy cleans the front and back windows I tip him............

Reactions: drstock and cavok

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Just to be clear, all within reason, I agree with you fully... All what you write above is fine in my opinion, I have done that myself as well... Before the pandemic, I used to overpay my barber always with 50-100 pesos... the thing is, he was/is a good and hard-working person... The guys at the supermarket who loaded all our 10 botellones to our SUV, I always gave them 100 pesos each... All these people are humble, do not ask for anything and really do their work well... I was only referring to this "throwing money" part with things that make no sense...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm from the EU, where you DO NOT tip... We had one single gas station in POP that we filled up in and I was also always, without fail, guilty of tipping the guy... The service was simply always reliable and courteous and again, the type of people you see that are not doing what they do and expecting something... The humble type, not the "tiguere" type if you will... I can see from a person's face pretty much what kind of a person they are... if anyone ever would put their hand out for me to give them something, that would end our business relationship...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Want to add that I just tipped the 2 wifi installer guys 200 pesos each. They were nice and wouldn't leave until we were happy with the service. No regrets at all.
Just a tip for you. You did right, but you should have taken a cell number of one. If I have any problem I have one or two I can call and they work in the area so they show up pretty quick for a nice propina. Beats calling the company and having to stay home for someone that can show up or not show up any day of the week...........XMAS they get liquor..........

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I recall there was a thread about this a while ago, where basically some were bragging on how much do they pay for this and that or tip, as the "going rates" were not appropriate for them as that would be been disrespectful towards the workers. The problem is exactly the above, in my opinion. The market is what it is, one person, foreigner or not, cannot change it. If the going rate for a taxi ride is 150 pesos and you decide to "tip" 500 pesos, that does not exactly give a good impression of you and then the driver will be expecting that the same time as well...

I would say that only those people call others "tacano" who have no idea of working...
I pay for service and results, good service and good results. If you choose to stiff the wait staff, taxi driver or other service worker and disguise it as "going rate" that is on you to brag about.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Just to be clear, all within reason, I agree with you fully... All what you write above is fine in my opinion, I have done that myself as well... Before the pandemic, I used to overpay my barber always with 50-100 pesos... the thing is, he was/is a good and hard-working person... The guys at the supermarket who loaded all our 10 botellones to our SUV, I always gave them 100 pesos each... All these people are humble, do not ask for anything and really do their work well... I was only referring to this "throwing money" part with things that make no sense...
you tip your barber less than 1.50 U.S , why dont you just give him the middle finger.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I pay for service and results, good service and good results. If you choose to stiff the wait staff, taxi driver or other service worker and disguise it as "going rate" that is on you to brag about.
So for example paying the public published rates by taxi companies for their drivers are "stiffing the driver"?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
So for example paying the public published rates by taxi companies for their drivers are "stiffing the driver"?
Yes! I can see we are miles apart on this. If I driver circles around the block to keep me out of the rain, yes, double bonus, he will get a tip. Lol, tipping the barber one dollar. I bet he talks about you before you hit the street.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have said before, tipping is a personal decision. I tip for good service and have no problem doing so. This is not only a 'foreigner/expat" thing, I have also seen many Dominicans tip as well. I do not speak about financials, how much I pay for items (cars, clothes, etc..) with anyone. IMO the less people know about you, the better.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Want to add that I just tipped the 2 wifi installer guys 200 pesos each. They were nice and wouldn't leave until we were happy with the service. No regrets at all.
And yet another example for today. Went to the taxi moto stand and asked someone in my broken Spanish to find me a place to make keys, wait for me, and take me back. Dude told me 200 pesos. He did everything I asked for. He got an extra 50. The keymaker was obviously the business owner. He got nothing extra. He was very nice though.

Reactions: Lucifer