Tropical Storm Ivan

SaltyDawg

May 10, 2004
www.caribbetech.com
Ivan passing at his closest

As of 12:15pm Ivan was about 200 miles south of the most southern point of the DR and passing ... - Isla Beata.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409_sat.html

The outer bands are still affecting the South Coast and, as newuser in Sto Dgo mentioned, they were seeing 15 ft surf on the Malecon this morning.

More with the 2:00pm advisories although Ivan's tune is almost a swan song for the DR.

Is anybody in Barahona that could give us a local report?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tourists on other islands in the hurricane's path are being flown to Puerto Plata, according to the BBC:

A MyTravel spokesman said they were chartering aircraft to transfer holidaymakers from Jamaica to Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic.

news.bbc.co.uk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This evening's news said that

2000 tourists had been flown into Puerto Plata. Should be lots of fun and games up ther tonight.

But waht a beast this hurricane is.

I sort of stopped following it when I could see that it was not coming here as shown in the earlier storm tracks. But my God! what a huge event. You can see on the Intellicast.com IR Loop just why we are getting the wind, waves and rain.

Robert's photos are awesome stuff...

Feel sorry for Jamaica, Cuba and the Florida panhandle....

HB

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Would like to post some pictures of Ivan damage in Romana

Hello All...how can I post some pictures of Ivan's damage here in La Romana? Storm surge was about 10' high and I took some great pictures at the house which is right on the ocean in Casa de Campo. Please advise...

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Awesome photo Robert

That was sick.

I'll never forget the storm I saw hitting the south coast (Aug/Sept '03), sending explosions of waves 100 feet into the air as the swells hit the ramp of coral that lead to the 30 ft. walls (near the monument of May 30th). They shook the entire neighborhood. So intense.

And that was just a low grade tropical storm.

I wish I could see this.

My surfer buddies told me that the police were not allowing anyone into the water, go figure.

Sorry to read about the deaths, I hope everyone stays safe.

Send pictures!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
LynnCox said:
Hello All...how can I post some pictures of Ivan's damage here in La Romana? Storm surge was about 10' high and I took some great pictures at the house which is right on the ocean in Casa de Campo. Please advise...

Please email them to me. robert@dr1.com

The higher the resolution, the better.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pto.Pta

Very dark with lots of heavy rain this morning Friday 7:00 Am.( And how far away is Pto.Pto. from all the action?) The 2000 Tourists that got into Puerto Plata last eveining are going to be pissed off big time!

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Gringo said:
Very dark with lots of heavy rain this morning Friday 7:00 Am.( And how far away is Pto.Pto. from all the action?) The 2000 Tourists that got into Puerto Plata last eveining are going to be pissed off big time!

It's sunny here!

Santo Domingo, 7:30 am.

Thor_Denmark

Sep 10, 2004
Since my father and half sister (her mother is Dominican) is in DR right now I have been following the track of Ivan closely. I'm really glad it didn't hit you the way that early forecasts anticipated. Poor Jamaica, Cuba and possibly Florida (again)...not forgetting Grenada who have already felt Ivan the Terrible.

These two sites are really good for following the track and staying updated on the latest forecasts:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409.html
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Ivan&partner=

They also have recent satellite pictures although not in very high resolution.

How has the weather been on the Island for the last 24 hours? Although you are in safe distance from the centre of Ivan I guess you must have felt it's presence somehow, at least on the south coast?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
8:00am in Sto. Dgo.

After a pretty much sleepless night due to an everlasting thunderstorm (felt that way), we woke up this morning to find the sky very overcast. Some of the streets are flooded and pretty much everyone's arriving late for work today. But all in all I think we got off pretty lucky...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Makes you more smrter

This is a neat graphic explaining the basic elements of the formation of hurricanes.

It may be a bit too basic for some, but it's well done and I figured someone here may take something from it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Ivan turned back into a cat. 5 storm before smashing into Jamaica with wind gusts up to 195 mph. I pray for all the people on Jamaica who will be going through hell for the next 24-36hrs, with those winds, not even concrete buildings are safe (not speaking of the ones living in shacks who refused to evacuate). I think this is gonna be a catastrophe of immense proportions, hopefully not as bad as Galveston 1900.

chuckg

Sep 11, 2004
IVAN AND Flight Schedules from Dominican Republic

Help !

My daughter was scheduled to fly out of DR Punta Cana yesterday at 10:30 AM USA3000 flt 919 to pittsburgh, pa -> then on to Spain. I can not determine if the flight took place and have not heard from her in (2) days. ANy help with flight information or weather yesterday; cancelled fiights etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank You!

Chuckg :nervous: :nervous:

email chauqg@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am waiting to hear from my friend in Jamaica, who visited the DR a couple of years ago, met several DR1ers and posted a trip report here as 'Clarita'. She lives in Kingston.