UN Report: How Florida is Fueling Haiti's Arms Trafficking Crisis

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...eling-haitis-arms-trafficking-crisis/2987676/

UN Report: How Florida is Fueling Haiti's Arms Trafficking Crisis
The U.S Department of Homeland Security’s investigations unit reported “a surge in firearms trafficking from Florida to Haiti between 2021 and 2022.”
By Edith M. Lederer • Published March 4, 2023

Increasingly sophisticated weapons are being trafficked into Haiti mainly from the United States and especially from Florida amid worsening lawlessness in the impoverished Caribbean nation, according to a U.N. report released Friday.

The report by the Vienna-based Office on Drugs and Crime said a network of criminal actors including members of the Haitian diaspora “often source firearms from across the U.S.” and smuggle them into Haiti illegally by land from the neighboring Dominican Republic, by air including to clandestine airstrips, but most frequently by sea.
“Popular handguns selling for $400-$500 at federally licensed firearms outlets or private gun shows in the U.S. can be resold for as much as $10,000 in Haiti,” the report said. “Higher-powered rifles such as AK47s, AR15s and Galils are typically in higher demand from gangs, commanding correspondingly higher prices.”

The U.S Department of Homeland Security’s investigations unit reported “a surge in firearms trafficking from Florida to Haiti between 2021 and 2022” and a spokesman described the recovery of increasingly sophisticated weapons destined for Haitian ports “including .50 caliber sniper rifles, .308 rifles, and even belt-fed machine guns,” according to the report.
“Weapons are frequently procured through straw man purchases in U.S. states with looser gun laws and fewer purchasing restrictions” and then transported to Florida where they are concealed inside consumer products, electronic equipment, garment linings, frozen food items and even the hull of freighters, it said. “On arrival in Haiti, including major hubs such as Port-de-Paix and Port-au-Prince, cargo is offloaded and passed on to end-users via a host of intermediaries.”

The 47-page report, entitled “Haiti’s Criminal Markets: Mapping Trends in Firearms and Drug Trafficking,” cites the challenges of patrolling 1,771 kilometers (1,100 miles) of Haiti's coastline and a 392-kilometer (243-mile) border with the Dominican Republic with national police, border and coast guard operations that are severely under-staffed, under-resourced and “increasingly targeted by gangs.”

The heavily-armed gangs are also targeting ports, highways, critical infrastructure, customs offices, police stations, court houses, prisons, businesses and neighborhoods, the report said. And throughout 2022 and early 2023 they have expanded their control over key access points to cities including the capital Port-au-Prince.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Florida aint to blame for the sh*thole's problems. They are to blame..
These reports are biased. The people reporting them are biased.
Unlike the U.N. we LOVE our guns and our gun laws in my home state of Florida and it really pisses of the "other side" as they are far out numbered up there and can't muster up enough support to make any significate changes, lol.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I keep up a pretty steady drumbeat on #Haiti twitter with all the upscale multilingual keyboard warriors who keep complaining about this - about how the US should STOP it - and I point out that all the guns are being SMUGGLED - and arriving at what are most likely private ports in Haiti - so it would be a lot easier for them to find out WHO is importing them and turn them in from the Haitian side... The US government has plenty of secure tip lines.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I keep up a pretty steady drumbeat on #Haiti twitter with all the upscale multilingual keyboard warriors who keep complaining about this - about how the US should STOP it - and I point out that all the guns are being SMUGGLED - and arriving at what are most likely private ports in Haiti - so it would be a lot easier for them to find out WHO is importing them and turn them in from the Haitian side... The US government has plenty of secure tip lines.
Perhaps it's time for the Haitian's to start taking full responsibility for their actions along with the problems they cause, step up and police their own?
Correct me if I am wrong but they are adults are they not?
How much longer are we supposed to hold their hands?
At what point do these people start acting like civilized human beings?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Unlike the U.N. we LOVE our guns and our gun laws in my home state of Florida and it really pisses of the "other side" as they are far out numbered up there and can't muster up enough support to make any significate changes, lol.
It's terrible journalism to suggest that "Florida" is responsible. The insinuation is that the State government is responsible. It's individual or criminal gangs that are responsible and they smuggle out of Florida due to proximity and existing shipping ports etc.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's terrible journalism to suggest that "Florida" is responsible. The insinuation is that the State government is responsible. It's individual or criminal gangs that are responsible and they smuggle out of Florida due to proximity and existing shipping ports etc.
Almost makes ya feel like they have some sort of hidden agenda.
Weird eh?

Reactions: Big and KyleMackey

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I did not read anything in the article to suggest that the UN holds responsible for the supply of guns to the gangs in Haiti .it said that guns were purchased in states with fewer gun controls and shipped by Florida which is the closest state to Haiti. But the report does not say who is financing the purchases of the weapons. many times we are told that these gangs have more weapons that the Haiti police so what can the people of Haiti do. They can march in the streets and be mown down by semi automatic gun fire or they can do their best to stay in safe places. Who is financing the gangs and who is going to take their arms away?? ..it seems that everyone just wants to talk . The poor country has been raped by the French and by Dictators and the poor people are at the mercy of the gangs just like the Dominicans were at the mercy of the Trujillo gangs When will a country or countries have the courage to go in and get rid of these violent gangs .it is a tragedy .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How are the people making the money to pay $10,000 US for a gun?

Reactions: PCMike and aarhus

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I did not read anything in the article to suggest that the UN holds responsible for the supply of guns to the gangs in Haiti .it said that guns were purchased in states with fewer gun controls and shipped by Florida which is the closest state to Haiti. But the report does not say who is financing the purchases of the weapons. many times we are told that these gangs have more weapons that the Haiti police so what can the people of Haiti do. They can march in the streets and be mown down by semi automatic gun fire or they can do their best to stay in safe places. Who is financing the gangs and who is going to take their arms away?? ..it seems that everyone just wants to talk . The poor country has been raped by the French and by Dictators and the poor people are at the mercy of the gangs just like the Dominicans were at the mercy of the Trujillo gangs When will a country or countries have the courage to go in and get rid of these violent gangs .it is a tragedy .
When comes to the folks next door as I've said before, I believe the only shot they have at ever becoming a functioning coutry again is if they are first re-colonized.

When I say re-colonized most of you are probably thinking I mean by a western nation but you are wrong. Why not an African country with the rest of the world backing them? I think a country like Ghana would be a good candidate.

Short of this they will continue to suffer indefinitely as they have repeatedly shown the rest of the world they are incapable of governing themselves. Indeed the truth hurts but it would be a small price to pay for future generations in my opinion.

Either way, to suggest their import controls or lack thereof are somehow Florida's fault is nothing more than an attempt to shift the blame.

Feb 16, 2016
-
Many have it wrong.
It is not guns that kill people.
Bullets do.
Now don't get me wrong, the guns make the bullets go real fast and provide accuracy.
But guns don't transport themselves or pull their own triggers.
People do that.
Those doing the smuggling have a responsibility.
As do the people who are pulling the trigger.
As do the people financing the operation.

As for the keyboard warriors in this thread (with strong opinions) I wonder how many of them have stood with a gun to oppose evil against someone else who also has a gun.
Really easy to type from behind your screen in air conditioned comfort.

Florida is geographic location‼️

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Not being American, I find the concept of loving a thing whose sole purpose is killing to be rather strange, but then we're all different.

I believe it is easy for anyone to buy guns without checks at gun shows etc in several states. Then, to transport them via Florida, the nearest point of the United States to Haiti and the DR makes sense to me, if you happen to be a gun smuggler.

Feb 16, 2016
-
I find the concept of loving a thing whose sole purpose is killing to be rather strange, but then we're all different.
Guns provide deterrence.
Against aggression.
Violence is universal throughout the world.
Men and women who are willing to carry a gun and confront evil are the ones that make the life others are living typing in front of their computer screens in air conditioned comfort possible.
A society where EVERYONE carried would be a very polite one. ;)

The only gun control I believe in is being able to hit your target consistently.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not being American, I find the concept of loving a thing whose sole purpose is killing to be rather strange, but then we're all different.

I believe it is easy for anyone to buy guns without checks at gun shows etc in several states. Then, to transport them via Florida, the nearest point of the United States to Haiti and the DR makes sense to me, if you happen to be a gun smuggler.
As an American who has been in a gun fight that ended with the loser in a wheelchair, I'd rather be called "strange" than handicapped or dead.
Team C.Rey 1 - Team Innerboyz 0.

Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. Trust me when I tell ya if it weren't for the legal gun owners in the state of Florida the crime rate would be a lot higher.

The UK has a problem with stabbings.
Should we take away their knives or should we do more to eliminate the threat?

Jan 9, 2004

Being American, I can state that without those guns we might still be saluting the Union Jack.

And for a little historical primer, gun confiscation was instrumental for many 20th century dictators being able to commit mass genocide of millions of people in China, Cambodia, Russia, Germany, Turkey, Uganda.

Our founding fathers recognized that guns in the wrong hands, whether they be evil governments or criminal gangs, need to be offset by guns in the right hands as a deterrence.

As to Haiti and the illegal gun trade coming from the US, those responsible should be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Near as I can tell, none of those criminal gangs has as their ultimate goal the establishment of any democratic systems of governance.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You all very funny lol.

Guns are run from the US to Haiti. Haiti's problem.
Drugs are run from Mexico to the US. Mexico' s fault.
Double standards much ? 😆😆😆😆
??? A gun legally manufactured and sold in the U.S is not contraband until it falls into the hand of a criminal or an illegal transfer takes place. Drugs are illegal the moment they are manufactured.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
??? A gun legally manufactured and sold in the U.S is not contraband until it falls into the hand of a criminal or an illegal transfer takes place. Drugs are illegal the moment they are manufactured.

??? Times change..... too fast for some maybe.
Cannabis is legal in a bunch of places nowadays..... doesnt mean you can export it to the Dominican Republic.

Feb 16, 2016
-
You all very funny lol.

Guns are run from the US to Haiti. Haiti's problem.
Drugs are run from Mexico to the US. Mexico' s fault.
Double standards much ? 😆😆😆😆
Guns are a major export of 🇺🇲 on the North American continent.
Is it really any surprise that a short boat ride and they arrive in 🇭🇹❓
A gun legally manufactured and sold in the U.S is not contraband until it falls into the hand of a criminal or an illegal transfer takes place.

I'm available to provide additional education to anyone who thinks they are educated but cannot understand what I write.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Guns are a major export of 🇺🇲 on the North American continent.
Is it really any surprise that a short boat ride and they arrive in 🇭🇹❓

I'm available to provide additional education to anyone who thinks they are educated but cannot understand what I write.
please do not send me anymore profanity laced videos via PM, thank you.