US to DR, carrying more than 10,000 us dollars

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Do NOT do it. Once you declare it on leaving the US you will have nothing but problems. One of them is you will be flagged in US Customs permanently whenever you arrive in the US.............Take a check and get it cashed in the DR..............Not to mention your arrival in the DR will not be very pleasant for sure.................
Excellent advice.
I was going to say the exact same thing.
DO NOT ATTEMPT to carry that much cash thru an airport regardless of what the law says.

Reactions: JimW and JD Jones

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
The x rays will catch it and your money will be stolen or just taken by the authorities. They will find a reason to take it. Then you have to prove the money is legitimate.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
Have a CC with what ever limit you need, I use a miles card and a cash back card, one has 50k the other is 40k. Most appliance stores take credit cards. I agree with the above posts do not do more than 10k cash you do not want to have to declare it. You can also deposit money in your US checking account and use your Debit card at the ATM, the bank I use will let me get 40k pesos a day.

Reactions: JimW

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
Any thoughts or words of wisdom on coming into the DR from USA with over 10,000 dollars? I am buying some appliances this trip besides staying 50 days so I feel i might need it.
Do it all the time, always report it- U.S. fill out the form, declare it on your e-ticket, always have paperwork showing the account it came from. Never been asked to show anything unless I have over $50k and then they just wanted to see some paperwork. Not really a big deal.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Do NOT do it. Once you declare it on leaving the US you will have nothing but problems. One of them is you will be flagged in US Customs permanently whenever you arrive in the US.............Take a check and get it cashed in the DR..............Not to mention your arrival in the DR will not be very pleasant for sure.................
So true....

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
You could even loose it before aduanas if you are stupid enough. My wife once found several thousands of euro’s under a seat while collecting her stuff in an almost empty airplane. Didn’t ask who’s money it was because she already knew the answer.
I guess it was her's ..... nice find

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
Begs the question why do so many do it … ?
18 years never a problem. We wire some, but they limit large sums with personal accounts. Opening a commercial account, but it's been years in process- you know the drill- typical nobody knowing what exactly is needed blaming everyone else..... They say it is done (yesterday) will see if it works.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I stay under the 10k limit ---- more or less 😆--- never had a problem, fingers crossed.

In the other thread about covid, the consensus seems to be that the LizardMen, aka the government, wants to control your mind and not let you own anything. Your minds will blow when you learn that they can block your cards at the touch of a button. 😲😲.

On a more serious note, as pointed out, I would be wary on my way out of the airport. Best option is having somebody pick you up and ask him to bring your pointy-stick along.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I stay under the 10k limit ---- more or less 😆--- never had a problem, fingers crossed.

In the other thread about covid, the consensus seems to be that the LizardMen, aka the government, wants to control your mind and not let you own anything. Your minds will blow when you learn that they can block your cards at the touch of a button. 😲😲.

On a more serious note, as pointed out, I would be wary on my way out of the airport. Best option is having somebody pick you up and ask him to bring your pointy-stick along.
Still a lot of money to carry with you in DR.

I Will be panic on my way of STI at night.

JJ

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Still a lot of money to carry with you in DR.

I Will be panic on my way of STI at night.

JJ

Nowadays as card machines make their way across the whole of the DR, I bring less and less cash. I can also get it delivered to my house ( but I have to stay under the monthly limit).

For years, I brought over 10k per trip, arriving in STI, and thankfully never had a problem. Nor did I feel unsafe. Sure, I was wary, and always had my wife to pick me up at the airport.

Going off topic here, but over the last decade I have the feeling stuff had gotten much better security-wise. It may be just a feeling though.
10+ years ago we wouldn't go anywhere w/o a weapon, nowadays we hardly ever bother with one anymore, even at night.

Reactions: CristoRey

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Just take the 10K and deposit it on to your credit card account. You can use your credit card just about everywhere here in the DR and then you won't be wandering around with huge amounts of cash. Whenever I go on vacation I just transfer a few thousand to my credit card so I don't have to think about going over my limit. Easiest way to travel! I went to Australia for a year and did the same and when I did actually need some cash I took some out at the cashpoint.

Reactions: slowmo and JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just take the 10K and deposit it on to your credit card account. You can use your credit card just about everywhere here in the DR and then you won't be wandering around with huge amounts of cash. Whenever I go on vacation I just transfer a few thousand to my credit card so I don't have to think about going over my limit. Easiest way to travel! I went to Australia for a year and did the same and when I did actually need some cash I took some out at the cashpoint.
What credit card do you have? Citi won't let me do that with my credit card. As far as I know, that only works with debit cards.

Reactions: tee

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm not so sure I would say credit cards can be used just about anywhere. Yes, it's prevalent, but there are many cash only places. I just had my car fixed and it was cash only. Big PITA. Plus, I don't think the police accept credit cards for bribes.