US to DR, carrying more than 10,000 us dollars

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I would never recommend bringing 10k in cash, etc...IMO just not worth the risk, and I am speaking from experience. I know that the credit card situation that Tee posted about was discussed on another thread. I am not aware of any credit card (not debit card, pre-paid credit card) where you can deposit money on to the card to have a credit balance. I am speaking of credit cards in the USA, not sure about other areas.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I would never recommend bringing 10k in cash, etc...IMO just not worth the risk, and I am speaking from experience. I know that the credit card situation that Tee posted about was discussed on another thread. I am not aware of any credit card (not debit card, pre-paid credit card) where you can deposit money on to the card to have a credit balance. I am speaking of credit cards in the USA, not sure about other areas.
Exactly. If they accept money, then it becomes a savings or checking account with a host of other regulations. It just doesn't make sense.

If this were me, I would bring maybe 5000 or 6000 and keep the rest of the cash in my USA bank. Then, have at least one credit card with a zero balance and as you charge stuff, pay it off early so your balance to charge is always available. Plus you have your 5k or whatever to use when needed. Then of course there is the debit card.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm not so sure I would say credit cards can be used just about anywhere. Yes, it's prevalent, but there are many cash only places. I just had my car fixed and it was cash only. Big PITA. Plus, I don't think the police accept credit cards for bribes.
I deal with a large amount of small business people and almost all of them accept and even prefer transfers to their accounts.

I have over 200 of them as beneficiaries on my BPD account.

Have you ever asked one?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
What credit card do you have? Citi won't let me do that with my credit card. As far as I know, that only works with debit cards.
I have both Banca Santa Cruz Visa card and a Scotiabank Mastercard. I can put credit on both. I have been doing this for 25 years and all banks have allowed me to do this so I am very surprised to hear that you can't, I thought that this was possible everywhere.

Reactions: slowmo

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I'm not so sure I would say credit cards can be used just about anywhere. Yes, it's prevalent, but there are many cash only places. I just had my car fixed and it was cash only. Big PITA. Plus, I don't think the police accept credit cards for bribes.
I rarely use cash anymore here in the DR. Of course if you go to smaller businesses such as colmados etc. then you are limited but the OP is talking about purchasing furniture, and unless he is buying furniture from the guys that sell on the side of the streets then there is a high chance that wherever he buys will accept credit cards. I have lived in Cabarete for 20 years and most stores and restaurants take credit cards....would not be surprised if some of lovely ladies of the night have their own credit card machine, haha. Actually, when I was in the UK last year I was shocked to see that street buskers and even some homeless people on the street had tap to pay systems in front of them! I was thinking OMG, the women of Sosua would love this, cashless system meaning their clients didn't have to go to a cashpoint that they don't know how to use with the lady friend next to them waiting to get paid! The amount of times I have been in a queue at the cashpoint waiting for a weekend warrior to try and take out cash to pay the lady standing waiting to get paid for 'services rendered' is ridiculous. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JD Jones

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I deal with a large amount of small business people and almost all of them accept and even prefer transfers to their accounts.

Have you ever asked one?
I do transfer money to people this way, but haven't done it in a business sense. Your method does save them the fees they incur when customers use credit cards, and debit cards too I think, That's why so many offer a cash discount. How do you handle the time delay in them receiving the funds you transfer (generally a few hours with BPD, I know) or the small charge you incur for an "instant" transfer?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I do transfer money to people this way, but haven't done it in a business sense. Your method does save them the fees they incur when customers use credit cards, and debit cards too I think, That's why so many offer a cash discount. How do you handle the time delay in them receiving the funds you transfer (generally a few hours with BPD, I know) or the small charge you incur for an "instant" transfer?
Never had a complaint. BPD to BPD is instant, other banks can take a few hours longer.

Reactions: JLSawmam

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have both Banca Santa Cruz Visa card and a Scotiabank Mastercard. I can put credit on both. I have been doing this for 25 years and all banks have allowed me to do this so I am very surprised to hear that you can't, I thought that this was possible everywhere.
When you say you put credit on your cards, are you talking about increasing your credit limit?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Have you ever asked one?
This assumes that I have a DR bank account, which I don't. In fact, that's exactly what the guy offered at my car repair. But it would have required an international transfer and I don't want to do that. To expensive and cumbersome.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I rarely use cash anymore here in the DR. Of course if you go to smaller businesses such as colmados etc. then you are limited but the OP is talking about purchasing furniture, and unless he is buying furniture from the guys that sell on the side of the streets then there is a high chance that wherever he buys will accept credit cards. I have lived in Cabarete for 20 years and most stores and restaurants take credit cards....would not be surprised if some of lovely ladies of the night have their own credit card machine, haha. Actually, when I was in the UK last year I was shocked to see that street buskers and even some homeless people on the street had tap to pay systems in front of them! I was thinking OMG, the women of Sosua would love this, cashless system meaning their clients didn't have to go to a cashpoint that they don't know how to use with the lady friend next to them waiting to get paid! The amount of times I have been in a queue at the cashpoint waiting for a weekend warrior to try and take out cash to pay the lady standing waiting to get paid for 'services rendered' is ridiculous. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hello (simps) Cash App 😅

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
When you say you put credit on your cards, are you talking about increasing your credit limit?
So the credit limit on one of my cards is 100,000 pesos. If I go away and I know that I am going to be spending more than 100,000 then I simply make a payment to my credit card which brings you amount available to over your credit limit. As I said in my earlier post, I have been doing this for years and it is so easy. Look at the image, you can see my limit is 100,000 pesos but you can see that the credit available to me is 105,188 pesos. I do the same with my US account on my credit card when I go abroad, top it up over your limit and you can enjoy your trip knowing that you have more than enough funds without exceeding your credit limit. Now someone could say, why not just use your debit card? But as I have free points on my credit card then I use it all time instead of my debit cards..at the end of the year I usually have about 50,000 pesos in points which I then tell them to credit my credit card!!!
1706033606683.png

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If it is a large amount, it can take 24 hours or so. Just did this several weeks ago, transferred 2 million pesos from my acct at BHD to an account in Bank Reservas.
Did you check mark "instant transfer"? When transferring from one BHD account to another, it is automatically an instant transfer.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
So the credit limit on one of my cards is 100,000 pesos. If I go away and I know that I am going to be spending more than 100,000 then I simply make a payment to my credit card which brings you amount available to over your credit limit. As I said in my earlier post, I have been doing this for years and it is so easy. Look at the image, you can see my limit is 100,000 pesos but you can see that the credit available to me is 105,188 pesos. I do the same with my US account on my credit card when I go abroad, top it up over your limit and you can enjoy your trip knowing that you have more than enough funds without exceeding your credit limit. Now someone could say, why not just use your debit card? But as I have free points on my credit card then I use it all time instead of my debit cards..at the end of the year I usually have about 50,000 pesos in points which I then tell them to credit my credit card!!!
View attachment 8658

Is your US credit card tied to your bank account (checking, savings)? Because neither Chase or Citi card will allow me to pay any extra on my credit card to have a credit balance.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Is your US credit card tied to your bank account (checking, savings)? Because neither Chase or Citi card will allow me to pay any extra on my credit card to have a credit balance.
I can't either, other than adding a small amount when I pay off my balance each month.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I can't either, other than adding a small amount when I pay off my balance each month.
The only time I have been able to have a credit balance is when I paid off my card and then returned an item which gave me a credit balance. I just went on to my Citi and Chase accounts. There is no balance due, but I tried to pay $500.00 on either card and they would not let me. I just wanted to see again if this was possible but for me it clearly is not possible.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
My cards are with Dominican banks....but I could do the same 25 years ago with my Canadian visa card, guess you can't do it in the USA...they want to make money from your debts!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Did you check mark "instant transfer"? When transferring from one BHD account to another, it is automatically an instant transfer.
not when it is over 500,000 pesos, my transfer was to a different BHD acct , it was to a Banco Reservas acct.