vet in POP needed URGENTLY

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
short update:
pichi is getting a bit better, very slowly. receiving her meds plus one more jarabe - complejo b.
eats and drinks with lots of appetite.
still blind, we think, but she can now somewhow notice our arrivals better.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pricesmart in santiago, expensive but worth it. bigger cat does his business outside but we have a box of fresh step in case of emergencies or temporary adoption of street kittens (i found home for few kittehs over the years).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We had a kitten that went through what sounds like similar experiences, we were puzzled as it happened a couple of times, and the vet could only suggest possibilities. In the end we found she had taken a liking to the hornets that buzzed around the creeping plants on the balcony and enjoyed playing with them. It turns out she had an allergy to the sting and her level of fit depended on the amount of venom the hornet had hit it with, her fits or illness lasted from anything from an afternoon to a few days . Just a thought if she is at that curious age.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We had a kitten that went through what sounds like similar experiences, we were puzzled as it happened a couple of times, and the vet could only suggest possibilities. In the end we found she had taken a liking to the hornets that buzzed around the creeping plants on the balcony and enjoyed playing with them. It turns out she had an allergy to the sting and her level of fit depended on the amount of venom the hornet had hit it with, her fits or illness lasted from anything from an afternoon to a few days . Just a thought if she is at that curious age.
Very interesting. We had one of our kittehs eat a wasp and went totally lethargic for 4 days. We had a dog try eating one, got stung, and her face swelled up like a grapefruit until the vet gave her some (I think) epinephrine...took 2 days for the swelling to go down.

Dorota, we're sending good thought to your kitteh...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not exclude insect bite. but we have a bigger cat too and he kills whatever comes inside. also, pichi has been locked up since monday so she has very limited contact with an outside world.
she is eating and drinking nicely, seems to like her meds. i let her out few times a day so she can stretch her legs, she walks in circles, clearly blind. i put her inside her litter box after every food, she is not quite sure what to make of it :) it worries me that she didn't pee since monday, not that i can see anyway. but today she did a small number two so that's a good sign.
tomorrow i will make her nice greasy chicken broth.
gee, i sound crazy, right? :)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
My daughter, a "wanna be" vet, says for upset stomach you feed them only rice and boiled eggs. Dr. Bob seems to concur. After that you give them chicken soup (some starchy stuff like noodles or rice in it but lots of broth). When are you returning to the vet about the lack of urination? That is a pretty serious problem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tomorrow i am set for a call with dr bob. pichi's diet is based on his advice, she basically needs protein and vitamins as seizing is really exhausting for the body.
i think lack of urination may be caused by neurological issues (her brain is pretty much scrumbbled). she might have peed somewhere inside her box: she has some newspapers inside plus a towel but there is nothing in-your-face. today when i put her in her box she squated to do her business but nothing came out.
i have plenty of diuretics at work if dr bob sees it fit to give it to her.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the gastric problem has more than solved itslef, now pichi has diarrea :(
i tried to wash her and she did not like it one bit. so she bit me.
dr bob says it will be a long time before i die of rabia :) in case pichi is infected.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am not going to intervene with Dr. Bobs suggestions as he is the vet and I am not but I know from experience that yoghourt is very good diureticum.

I couldn't agree more - yogurt.

We eat pints of it before goinmg to mexico, RD or any other place.... it is , itself , bacteria..... no tummy issues if you prepare with yogurt.
Wild strawberry was my grandmothr's cure for the Hershey Squirts

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I couldn't agree more - yogurt.

We eat pints of it before goinmg to mexico, RD or any other place.... it is , itself , bacteria..... no tummy issues if you prepare with yogurt.
Wild strawberry was my grandmothr's cure for the Hershey Squirts

~Or if you are calorie conscience you can pop these before you go as well : Lactobacillus Acidophilus helps regulate yeast as well as bacteria in the intestines....;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
~Or if you are calorie conscience you can pop these before you go as well : Lactobacillus Acidophilus helps regulate yeast as well as bacteria in the intestines....;)

But you miss on all the other good stuff bacteria who are in yogurt not to mention the calcium for the ladies over certain age :D

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
the gastric problem has more than solved itslef, now pichi has diarrea :(
i tried to wash her and she did not like it one bit. so she bit me.
dr bob says it will be a long time before i die of rabia :) in case pichi is infected.

Suits you, no decent cat likes a bath. Give us an update on pichi please!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
But you miss on all the other good stuff bacteria who are in yogurt not to mention the calcium for the ladies over certain age :D

~Fully understood and much tastier then popping pills, however there is another low calorie option....I eat yogurt every morning...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good for you dv8.

You had a problem... in the middle of the night but some came forth to help. I don't know why others were up and I'm not telling why I was. It also shows that we have alot of people here that try to help and do what they/we can.

Not everything works out how we want, hope or wish. But I give you a lot of credit/Kudos to you for doing everything you can. Same to all those that jumped in to help.

You do what you can... but at least do something.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pichi would not be here if it was not for dr1 team. everyone who chimed in and everyone who sent us wishes deserves the credit for pichi's life and her recovery.
so far she is doing way better and i dare to hope she will survive.
i am very grateful to have a bunch of gringos help us :)
i know people have worse problems but what counts is that we do try to help each other in the time of need.