Walking At Night

R

RDKNIGHT

I wouldn't walk there after the sun sets. They find bodies in there every so often.
They also find bodies in Central park ... does that mean you stop living? As my grandma use to say nothing good happens after 10 in the streets.... crime is everywhere just be aware of your surrounding...

A

AlterEgo

Parque Mirador Sur might be safe early in the evening, before 8pm but it’s known as one of the areas where many people have been mugged after these hours.

Agreed. And let’s not forget what happened on February 27th....a large family/friends gathering, having a picnic there to celebrate the day.....attacked by armed men who robbed them all, in broad daylight. It shook up a lot of Dominicans in SD.

T

TropicalPaul

They have done a huge amount of work on the Santo Domingo Malecon and it is now very well lit and very busy with people walking right up until reasonably late in the evening. This is David Collado's pet project and I get the impression the authorities have been told very clearly that this has to work. There is also a good police presence, both in terms of motorbikes and physically, and a lot of seats, including some hammocks, and a kids play area. There is a bicycle lane which is also busy. I think because you are next to a busy road and it is so brightly lit it makes you feel safer as it's hard to see that someone would be so stupid to mug you in front of so many passing cars. Guibia has also had some work done and is always busy, always has police and is a safe-ish place to be any time of the day or night. And Plaza Juan Varon near the roundabout and Crowne Plaza Hotel has also had some work done and now has live music, a funfair (not sure how temporary it is), and go-karts. It's incredibly busy there most evenings especially weekends.

I lived opposite Mirador del Sur for a while and I would agree that it is safe during the early evening / weekends but I didn't feel very safe walking around there at other times and definitely should be avoided after dark. It's fun to hire a bike there and they also have a roller skating area. There are also a few open-air gyms including one where they get a lot of gymnasts and bodybuilders which is fun to watch. I would recommend Mirador del Sur on a Sunday or between 4pm and 7pm, it's a great park.

V

VJS

They also find bodies in Central park ... does that mean you stop living? As my grandma use to say nothing good happens after 10 in the streets.... crime is everywhere just be aware of your surrounding...

Lol, the thread is titled "walking at night" and everyone is piling on how great the park is at *day* time. I would rather walk through any of the worst top 5 DR barrios than in be that park after dark.

C

cobraboy

Where did you order it from ?
Afdter some research I knew which one I wanted, and found the best price on ebay.

This is the model. Other brands have similar devices.

The selling feature for me was the sturdy aluminum construction that allows it to be used like a club, and not just a stun gun. The flashlight was a bonus.

Guard Dog Security Tital Stun baton

[/quote]

chico bill said:
Is this to protect you or your dog ?
Mainly the dog. If I had this my young Great Dane would not have been injured as he was.

But having a mega-volt club is also a personal benefit, although never once in the DR have I felt any need for protection. I'm a large human so that is somewhat of a deterrent in itself.

H

HDR

Afdter some research I knew which one I wanted, and found the best price on ebay.

This is the model. Other brands have similar devices.

The selling feature for me was the sturdy aluminum construction that allows it to be used like a club, and not just a stun gun. The flashlight was a bonus.

Guard Dog Security Tital Stun baton

Hmmm... You sure you can buy it on eBay and bring it here with a courier like Encargo?

S

SantiagueroRD

I think that you are going to be disappointed in the stun guns performance take a look at You Tube. It why no Cops carry them. You have to maintain contact to get compliance it is not a Taser. Every street dog that is loose has had rocks thrown at them. I have walked my dog over a mile every day and the good old "bend over and throw motion" works almost every time. Only about 10 %of the time have I had to actually had to throw on.

C

cobraboy

I think that you are going to be disappointed in the stun guns performance take a look at You Tube. It why no Cops carry them. You have to maintain contact to get compliance it is not a Taser. Every street dog that is loose has had rocks thrown at them. I have walked my dog over a mile every day and the good old "bend over and throw motion" works almost every time. Only about 10 %of the time have I had to actually had to throw on.
I hope you are correct, but in the last week alone, and for the first time, I had two dogs attack, or almost attack my young pup. One was a German Shepherd guard dog that got out. It was a very close call and throwing a rock did not deter him. Fortunately, no harm came to my dog because their two human guards were able to regain control of the GS. Had they not been there things could have gotten really bloody.

Two days later is when my dog got attacked, and I didn't even see it coming. It was not a street dog, but a dog that escaped a fenced yard.

We see street dogs all the time, and they never get close. And you're right: the average street dog will run from a thrown rock, or just a throwing motion. But that is not what happened to us recently, and now with a negative experience, I want to be better prepared.

Between a shock---we aren't talking humans, we are talking animals---and a club, in both situations I stood a better chance of protecting my dog and myself.

Stun guns are handheld items a tad larger than a cell phone. You gotta get really close. The one I bought, and there are many more like it, is 19" long, long enough to not have to be so close to deploy. And if the visual crackling spark doesn't work, if the shock pain poke hard doesn't work, I'll bash the dog with the club. I know that will work.

S

SantiagueroRD

Yarp I am sure that will work. In Schutzhund training for standoffs we were taught to very quickly strike them on the outside of their paw with a slim bamboo type cane. To the dog it is like banging your "funny" bone. Only way to stop some GSD and Malinois . Best of luck.

W

windeguy

We'll see. I use EPS. It's a $50 gamble.

I know of someone who bought something similar and he received it minus the lithium ion batteries. And I don't think he ever found a supplier for them on the north coast.

C

Cdn_Gringo

That makes sense. EPS was a real pain when it came to things with batteries, even a small watch sized battery. Yet, they would happily ship a cellphone.

CB let me know if you have an issue and I'll forward what I used to finally break my included battery deadlock.

B

badpiece33

Are you a mron? Why the **** would you walk around at night?

A

AlterEgo

We’ve veered way off topic here, back to walking at night please.