Walking At Night

C

Chirimoya

I've never felt unsafe in Punta Cana and most parts of Bavaro. Dominicus is fine and Bayahibe as well. Las Galeras too although I've heard of several muggings over the last 20+ years I've been visiting there. The Zona Colonial is fine as long as you keep to the busier streets.

R

RDKNIGHT

where every you go in this world just beware of your surroundings ..be on point......

J

Jaime809

Hmmm... You sure you can buy it on eBay and bring it here with a courier like Encargo?

You'll probably get the "dangerous item" surcharge. I ordered hatch struts for my Murano and they hit me with that, and te woman at the shipping depot called them and told them what it was.

W

william webster

Hatch struts

you need the old Dominican fix...

they slide a piece of PVC tubing over it...
eliminating the hydraulic function.... never breaks again

My hood struts/supports are fixed this way.... a dream

A

ando1991

I stay mostly in Cabarete but venture into Sosua and Puerto Plata. I usually feel safe and i am sometimes out until 2 or 3 in the morning. But i use common sense. I don't flash things and I try to blend it. I use common sense and street smarts. I keep my eyes open and i am always aware of my surroundings. I stay where the lights are bright and where the people are around.
Even with these precautions, it can happen. But one cannot live in fear...
If you do, hide under your bed...
Dominican Republic is beautiful.

That walk on Cabarete Beach at night is beautiful. But stay where the action is at... use your head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

D

Dr_Taylor

I have walked around Gazcue, no later than 9:00 P.M., to get a snack, but I do not travel anywhere in the country after that. Moreover, I especially avoid driving on the highways after dark.

E

ElVenao

As reported in today's, 24 April 2019 DR1 News.....

DR ranks low in safe walking at night

According to research carried out by the Global Peace Index (GPI), the Dominican Republic is third on the list for people who do not feel safe walking outside at night. The country with the highest percentage of insecurity for walking at night was Venezuela, with 88 %; followed by El Salvador, with 72 % In the Dominican Republic, some 67 % of Dominicans do not feel safe walking in their neighborhoods at night.

In the same list, the DR is followed by Liberia (65 %), Brazil (64 %), Afghanistan (64 %), South Africa (63 %), Botswana (62 %) and Mauritania (61 %).
Looking at other indicators of the GPI, the highest increases registered in the country where the rate of homicides with a 4.7-point increase, perception of crime with a 4-point increase and domestic violence increase by three points.
http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uplo...dex-2018-2.pdf
https://www.cdn.com.do/2019/04/23/re...or-las-noches/

I myself, as a Dominican national do not feel comfortable driving at night in the RD, not to mention walking. As a national, resident, or tourist do you feel comfortable walking around the RD at night?

None of the links posted here in the OP are working... 5 days after they were posted here.

Anyone know what's up? Where can I get a glance of that ranking?

Thanks

E

etolw

Do not know why the above links do not work, but you can find other references to this study

Percentage of people who do not feel safe walking alone at night where they live:
????????????Venezuela 88%
????????????El Salvador 72%
????????????Dominican Republic 67%
????????????Gabon 67%
????????????Liberia 65%
????????????Brazil 64%
????????????Afghanistan 64%
????????????South Africa 63%
????????????Botswana 62%
????????????Mauritania 61%

https://www.cdn.com.do/2019/04/23/r...o-de-los-paises-mas-inseguros-por-las-noches/

E

ElVenao

Do not know why the above links do not work, but you can find other references to this study

Percentage of people who do not feel safe walking alone at night where they live:
������������Venezuela 88%
������������El Salvador 72%
������������Dominican Republic 67%
������������Gabon 67%
������������Liberia 65%
������������Brazil 64%
������������Afghanistan 64%
������������South Africa 63%
������������Botswana 62%
������������Mauritania 61%

https://www.cdn.com.do/2019/04/23/r...o-de-los-paises-mas-inseguros-por-las-noches/

any way to find out about which countries are the top 20 safest? looking to see where I take my a** to next LOL!

Guessing is going to be the nordics plus swiss, luxembourg, australia, japan, canada and maybe one of the asian tigers.... but just speculating, want to see what is the actual surveyed statistic.

Cheers.

B

Big

They also find bodies in Central park ... does that mean you stop living? As my grandma use to say nothing good happens after 10 in the streets.... crime is everywhere just be aware of your surrounding...

So true, I don't walk until the sun goes down

B

bob saunders

Smart experienced wise expats would NEVER leave the house after 7 !!! Looking for trouble. Only matter of time.
That depends entirely where you live. I feel perfectly safe walking the two minutes to the nearest colmado to buy a beer at any time that it's open. I know most of the clients and they are not a danger to me.

F

Fulano2

Yes we go to Margarita’s in Magante every other night. The problem is finding my way back.

B

BPL888

I recently arrived at SDQ at 3AM and took a cab through Santo Domingo to San Cristobal via Haina. I was very surprised how absolutely deserted the streets were the whole way. Apparently anyone with any sense knows to stay indoors at 4AM.
The cab driver has been doing it for 20 years and said he never had a serious problem. He was armed and has a good street sense though even he was very cautious going through Haina. He got a nice tip from me.
Avis is open 24 hours at the airport but if I was going to drive that route I would wait until the sun came up.