Walking At Night

C

Caonabo

I recently arrived at SDQ at 3AM and took a cab through Santo Domingo to San Cristobal via Haina. I was very surprised how absolutely deserted the streets were the whole way. Apparently anyone with any sense knows to stay indoors at 4AM.
The cab driver has been doing it for 20 years and said he never had a serious problem. He was armed and has a good street sense though even he was very cautious going through Haina. He got a nice tip from me.
Avis is open 24 hours at the airport but if I was going to drive that route I would wait until the sun came up.

Is it common for you to have much street activity at 3am from where you originate from?

B

BPL888

Yes. In the Boston area there are at least some cars on the road and 24 hour convenience stores with activity at all hours. When we went through Santo Domingo at 4 AM we didn't see another person or car (except PN) for close to a half hour.

E

ElVenao

Yes. In the Boston area there are at least some cars on the road and 24 hour convenience stores with activity at all hours. When we went through Santo Domingo at 4 AM we didn't see another person or car (except PN) for close to a half hour.

LMAO!

In Boston everything is closed after 11pm! Nothing to do around that time here. Everything is literally deserted by 2:00 A.M. let alone in the Greater B Area by 4am.

R

rafael

One of those stun clubs I ordered might be a decent idea.

My neighborhood is decent and I walk at night from time to time. Always cautious and aware.
Had a beer in a bar in a pretty bad neighborhood and uber was not working. Decided to walk to another bar.
Both bars are mellow with older crowd and no tigres, but neighborhood is “caliente”. I ordered another grande at first
bar and while still half was left paid bill and left to walk to the other bar 1.5 blocks away. Took the half full grande with me.
I was holding it in break over someones face position at my side, and not let me take a sip position. I get to corner and all eyes are on the big gringo. I walk like I run the barrio. Tigre on the corner said “mira ese gringo es un tigeraso” laughing.
I turned around smiled and said “ya tu sabes”.

D

dv8

what does it mean "walking at night"? back in my hometown in poland and later on in london i often walked back home at all hours, often between midnight and dawn. never thought twice about it. here i walk our doggies after dark every day, occasionally after 10-11 pm. never been out and about after midnight but then i'm a boring old bat and my regular bedtime is around 10:30 pm...

C

cobraboy

My neighborhood is decent and I walk at night from time to time. Always cautious and aware.
Had a beer in a bar in a pretty bad neighborhood and uber was not working. Decided to walk to another bar.
Both bars are mellow with older crowd and no tigres, but neighborhood is “caliente”. I ordered another grande at first
bar and while still half was left paid bill and left to walk to the other bar 1.5 blocks away. Took the half full grande with me.
I was holding it in break over someones face position at my side, and not let me take a sip position. I get to corner and all eyes are on the big gringo. I walk like I run the barrio. Tigre on the corner said “mira ese gringo es un tigeraso” laughing.
I turned around smiled and said “ya tu sabes”.
Being a large human has some advantages, for sure, especially with natural swagger...

C

cobraboy

I will walk at night in our neighborhood where there are streetlights, usually with a dog ot two or four.

No problems until the two recent doggie issues. I'll be better prepared next time.

C

Caonabo

what does it mean "walking at night"? back in my hometown in poland and later on in london i often walked back home at all hours, often between midnight and dawn. never thought twice about it. here i walk our doggies after dark every day, occasionally after 10-11 pm. never been out and about after midnight but then i'm a boring old bat and my regular bedtime is around 10:30 pm...

Walking at night is meant as simple as such as once the sun goes down....until it comes up again. Depending wherein RD one seems to be at a point in time, it takes on different results.

R

RDKNIGHT

it's called matured......and I enjoy waking up watching the sunrise.

D

DieselFuel

If you believe that I've got a bridge I want to sell you.

Doesn't matter what I believe or not. This is what people have stated 1000's of times on this forum.

Are you saying these people are liars and it is safe to walk around freely at night?

J

JDJones

Doesn't matter what I believe or not. This is what people have stated 1000's of times on this forum.

Are you saying these people are liars and it is safe to walk around freely at night?

There are areas where you can walk around at night, and there's areas where you can't.

Last time I looked, there are both types of areas in just about every part of the world.

And I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate.

B

bob saunders

There are areas where you can walk around at night, and there's areas where you can't.

Last time I looked, there are both types of areas in just about every part of the world.

And I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate.

After midnight anywhere in the world it is less safe than when it is light out. Where I grew up bears and cougars were and still are a bigger danger at night than humans. Here in the DR the human rats are more dangerous after midnight and before first light.

W

william webster

Good news ---

the shortest night of the year is upon us !!!

C

Cortez

.. yes exactly in the area I live.... walking after dark no problem(Santiago)...nobody out late except P.N....the bad guys here do their robbing in the early afternoon, thats after someone has watched you to learn your movements...I do avoid the Monument late at night say when carnival is going...years and no problem.......Cortez.........