Wander Franco searched for at homes by Dominican authorities amid disturbing allegations

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
you must be talking about cricket. MLB is basically a freak show. There are only a few thousand men in the entire world that can do what they do. Even with all the training, coaching, skill and practice there is another integral component. Genetics. Hitting a MLB fast ball is one of the hardest things to do in pro sports. ..Hey why do cricket players wear those white leather leg pads? They are interesting.
The same reason baseball players wear ankle, shin, and elbow protection pads. Believe me, better to take a bullet in the knee, verses a cricket ball without those leg pads.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
you must be talking about cricket. MLB is basically a freak show. There are only a few thousand men in the entire world that can do what they do. Even with all the training, coaching, skill and practice there is another integral component. Genetics. Hitting a MLB fast ball is one of the hardest things to do in pro sports. ..Hey why do cricket players wear those white leather leg pads? They are interesting.
Don't know much 'bout cricket or the French I took. But what I do know is that a true baseball fan would know who Yogi Berra was:

"Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical."

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
well Franco has mad athletic skills. MLB does not contract players with that much money unless they see team changing potential. Whatever league he plays in he will not starve. I will however be very surprised if this does not play out before spring training next month.
IMO I think the MLB has already made their decision on him. They are just waiting for the issues to be resolved in the DR, makes them look better. But I do not think he will play in the MLB next season or maybe not at all. If for example he is suspended by the MLB he cannot play in another league while under suspension. He would need to be released in order to play in another league. Under the MLB Domestic Violence/Sexual Abuse/Child Abuse policy if he is found guilty of having relations with someone who is under 18 yrs then he violated the MLB policy (per MLB). Even once the issues are somewhat resolved in the DR, the issues with the MLB are a whole other issue/problem regardless of his baseball skills. As a side note Franco was benched in June (I think it was June) for a couple of games for "not being the best teammate" per Rays.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
you must be talking about cricket. MLB is basically a freak show. There are only a few thousand men in the entire world that can do what they do. Even with all the training, coaching, skill and practice there is another integral component. Genetics. Hitting a MLB fast ball is one of the hardest things to do in pro sports. ..Hey why do cricket players wear those white leather leg pads? They are

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not so sure about what MLB has in store for this guy.............

Wander Franco earns $700,000 bonus from MLB pool despite ongoing investigation​

NEW YORK (AP) — Wander Franco will receive a bonus from Major League Baseball of more than $700,000 despite being placed on administrative leave in August while under investigation for an alleged relationship with a minor.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The same reason baseball players wear ankle, shin, and elbow protection pads. Believe me, better to take a bullet in the knee, verses a cricket ball without those leg pads.
I think my point was there is no comparison in the talent and competition level between the two. Baseball scouts can find busloads of players in the minors and training camps that can throw a baseball consistently in the 90s. Few can make the ball move and dance.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011

NEW YORK (AP) — Wander Franco will receive a bonus from Major League Baseball of more than $700,000 despite being placed on administrative leave in August while under investigation for an alleged relationship with a minor.

Thats the thing about "administrative leave vs suspension", they still have to pay him. Financially this situation has not affected him as far as getting paid, at the moment.

Jan 9, 2004
Thats the thing about "administrative leave vs suspension", they still have to pay him. Financially this situation has not affected him as far as getting paid, at the moment.
Any money he is paid now will likely go to pay his legal bills, both here and in the US.

Continuing further and not mentioned yet here on the board is the amount of endorsement deals that he has lost or will likely lose. While it may be hard to believe, many of today's athletes will make far more in endorsements than they are paid in salary............and for Wander...........that was likely a 3x multiplier of his salary if he played out his full contract.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Any money he is paid now will likely go to pay his legal bills, both here and in the US.

Continuing further and not mentioned yet here on the board is the amount of endorsement deals that he has lost or will likely lose. While it may be hard to believe, many of today's athletes will make far more in endorsements than they are paid in salary............and for Wander...........that was likely a 3x multiplier of his salary if he played out his full contract.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
After the incident became public and he was placed on administrative leave, all images of him were removed from advertising, marketing, commercials, etc...by the Rays. Agreed that while he may be getting paid (at the moment), there is probably a large amount of it going to his legal bills, etc...

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
After the incident became public and he was placed on administrative leave, all images of him were removed from advertising, marketing, commercials, etc...by the Rays. Agreed that while he may be getting paid (at the moment), there is probably a large amount of it going to his legal bills, etc...
Sounds like he will soon be indebted.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
And he is probably not surrounded by those with his best interests at heart.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Unfortunately, this happens a lot with players. Those around them are more like "yes" people as they want to keep their position in the circle. I have seen this firsthand with one of my spouses' cousins. Though not on the level as Franco, I believe because of the stupid things the cousin did off the field, he did not go as far or for as long as he could have. It comes down to money/being a part of the fame. Everyone wants to be a part of it, family, friends, etc... While these players have agents, and for the most part the agent has no problem telling the player what the consequences of their actions can/will be, the player prefers to listen to their "so called" friends versus the voice of reason/logic.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Unfortunately, this happens a lot with players. Those around them are more like "yes" people as they want to keep their position in the circle. I have seen this firsthand with one of my spouses' cousins. Though not on the level as Franco, I believe because of the stupid things the cousin did off the field, he did not go as far or for as long as he could have. It comes down to money/being a part of the fame. Everyone wants to be a part of it, family, friends, etc... While these players have agents, and for the most part the agent has no problem telling the player what the consequences of their actions can/will be, the player prefers to listen to their "so called" friends versus the voice of reason/logic.
A baseball career really sounds like an all or nothing thing. It’s the MLB or nothing. It’s only played in a few countries and there is only one league that is really attractive to play in. And the players are very well paid in the MLB on the other hand.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
A baseball career really sounds like an all or nothing thing. It’s the MLB or nothing. It’s only played in a few countries and there is only one league that is really attractive to play in. And the players are very well paid in the MLB on the other hand.
Basball is a huge money maker in other countries as well. Of course not MLB levels but big. Japan, Korea, Mexico $$$$

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Basball is a huge money maker in other countries as well. Of course not MLB levels but big. Japan, Korea, Mexico $$$$
Player wise, Japan yes (pays well), as long as you are not assigned to play in their minor leagues. Korea pay is ok but Mexico no. Mexico does not pay as much as Japan or Korea. The biggest issue with those leagues is that if you don't hit/pitch well from the start, they will release you. They have no tolerance for batting/pitching slumps. However, there have been some Dominican players that have been successful there. Fans wise all of them have very good game attendance/following. The leagues in Japan, Korea and Mexico do good and have been around for a while. Funny, on my spouses' (mothers' side) side there is a history of players, managers/coaches. Not hard in the Dominican since many families have somebody in the family with a connection to baseball. On my side (mothers' side also) there is a history of front office personnel.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

bad time for this news to break now the family is going to want more money

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
is surrounded by blood sucking friends family and people who really don't care about his welfare just care about the dollar .par for the course when you have an IQ equal to a fly but it's not his fault because the baseball trainers and so-called friends and parents had him in baseball camp since he's been 8 years old and never gave him a proper education so once again my friend comes back to the education

Reactions: NanSanPedro