Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Leaving Toronto on jan 23 with west jet for 2 weeks ill keep you updated as then

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
When it comes to travelling abroad right now, the Government of Canada is doubling down on its advice.
In a new tweet, an official federal page has warned that taking an international vacation during the COVID-19 pandemic could be a mistake for “your health and your wallet.”
The notice, shared on January 17, warns travellers to “Expect significant delays for mandatory #COVID19 testing.”
“You could be stuck at your destination,” it concludes.
The message comes around 10 days after Canada’s travel rules got an update.
All incoming air passengers are now required to show a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, in addition to the country’s mandatory 14-day quarantine period upon arrival.
Transport Canada has warned on multiple occasions that taking a trip abroad during the pandemic could result in difficulty returning to Canada.
Canadians have even been told they could get stuck overseas if they’re unable to obtain the necessary documentation to return.
While there’s no outright travel ban in place, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has told travellers that it’s time to “take this seriously,” and said, “no one should be vacationing abroad right now.”

Reactions: thompstr

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
My son is scheduled to fly from POP to Toronto this Saturday Jan 23 with Westjet, and he tried to book a Covid Test at Bournigal, but the only available appointments are for Friday morning or afternoon, the day before his flight. Any suggestions? Are the test results really taking 3 to 4 days?

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

Every single passenger on board 2 international flights to Canada informed that they were potentially exposed to COVID-19

Two Air Transat flights had so many people on board infected with COVID-19 that all the passengers are now deemed to be at risk of catching the virus.
Flights TS663 AND TS665 - both taking passengers from Haiti to Montreal - were identified by Health Canada as flights with several confirmed coronavirus cases, the paper said.
Now, passengers seated in "all rows" have been notified that they have potentially been exposed to the virus.
  • The Canadian government announced on January 7 that a negative coronavirus test is required to fly. Haiti, where these passengers were traveling from, is one of the two territories exempt from this rule.

• Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
Air Transat just cancelled our return to YYZ from POP for Apr.26. First available flight May 7.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Air Transat just cancelled our return to YYZ from POP for Apr.26. First available flight May 7.
Was trying to go to dr end of jan 25th, ya they canceled my flight and said they're not going to dr until June
Booked a flight with westjet jan 23 until Feb 6th
And I think they said feb 8th was theyre last flight until may

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

Evidently there is going to be an announcement today by David Collado regarding PCR tests for tourists. Listin Diario reported yesterday that 96 Canadians had been denied boarding because they didn't have the right test or didn't have the results for their test, which caused complete chaos. The above article mentions that Dominicans have been struggling to get tests for the last few weeks, so the demand for tourists to have tests is adding pressure to a broken system.

I honestly think this testing requirement is going to be the final nail in the coffin for tourism this season, I can't see much coming back now before November.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Was trying to go to dr end of jan 25th, ya they canceled my flight and said they're not going to dr until June
Booked a flight with westjet jan 23 until Feb 6th
And I think they said feb 8th was theyre last flight until may
Friend just texted me from Toronto airport. Heading to POP this morning on Air Transat. Only ten people waiting to board one hour before departure. If that is the total number of passengers, that A321 is operating at a loss. She had to rebook her return mid April due to flight cancellations. May have to return through Punta Cana. This is Monday morning, the start of the business week, and she said Toronto airport was very quiet. Probably a sign that the government hard line on domestic and international travel is taking effect.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Every single passenger on board 2 international flights to Canada informed that they were potentially exposed to COVID-19

Two Air Transat flights had so many people on board infected with COVID-19 that all the passengers are now deemed to be at risk of catching the virus.
Flights TS663 AND TS665 - both taking passengers from Haiti to Montreal - were identified by Health Canada as flights with several confirmed coronavirus cases, the paper said.
Now, passengers seated in "all rows" have been notified that they have potentially been exposed to the virus.
  • The Canadian government announced on January 7 that a negative coronavirus test is required to fly. Haiti, where these passengers were traveling from, is one of the two territories exempt from this rule.
Why would Haiti be exempt? 🤦‍♀️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Evidently there is going to be an announcement today by David Collado regarding PCR tests for tourists. Listin Diario reported yesterday that 96 Canadians had been denied boarding because they didn't have the right test or didn't have the results for their test, which caused complete chaos. The above article mentions that Dominicans have been struggling to get tests for the last few weeks, so the demand for tourists to have tests is adding pressure to a broken system.

I honestly think this testing requirement is going to be the final nail in the coffin for tourism this season, I can't see much coming back now before November.
The Canadian testing requirements are certainly much harder to get done in a timely manner than the USA requirements. Both make things even less convenient.

After (or if) herd immunity is reached in 2023 things can get back to the new normal (or not).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would Haiti be exempt? 🤦‍♀️
Can you even imagine the possibility that test results would be available in Haiti?
(Actually I think it has something to do with their speaking something people call French that Canada lets them come anyway, but it isn't really French just like Quebecois is not French either).

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I

Believe Haiti can't do test
Correct. Haiti does not have the testing capability to meet the Canadian government Covid testing requirements. Anyone travelling to Canada from Haiti will be required to undergo testing when they arrive at Toronto or Montreal (large Haitian community). Regardless of the results they have to isolate for two weeks. Privately arranged or government arranged. Only other exemption is St. Pierre-Miquelon. Two small islands owned by France 12 miles off the Newfoundland coast.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Can you even imagine the possibility that test results would be available in Haiti?
(Actually I think it has something to do with their speaking something people call French that Canada lets them come anyway, but it isn't really French just like Quebecois is not French either).
Haiti’s language is a blend of colloquial French, educated French, and Creole, a patois. Quebec is much the same, a blend of educated and colloquial French, English, Irish, Scottish, and aboriginal languages. It’s a big province with many culturally diverse areas. The Canadian government and provincial government have allowed large numbers of Haitians to migrate to Quebec over to the years, especially during the Papa Doc and Baby Doc dictatorships.

Reactions: Caonabo

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Correct. Haiti does not have the testing capability to meet the Canadian government Covid testing requirements. Anyone travelling to Canada from Haiti will be required to undergo testing when they arrive at Toronto or Montreal (large Haitian community). Regardless of the results they have to isolate for two weeks. Privately arranged or government arranged. Only other exemption is St. Pierre-Miquelon. Two small islands owned by France 12 miles off the Newfoundland coast.
Looks like RD also has scarcity of PCR tests. how they going to cope with the extra demand ?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
A

Few mins ago I looked at a Canadian web site
Haiti still exempt, but last flights out of Haiti had 26 people test positive in Canada

One flight from Haita evidently had so many positive people that the whole flight is likely to have caught it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
One flight from Haita evidently had so many positive people that the whole flight is likely to have caught it.

You pay your money, you take your chances on the Covid roulette wheel. Expect the same thing on DR to Canada and the US flights. Jamaica is also struggling with the same problems despite their strict entry requirements. Stuffed in a pressurized can for four to five hours seated shoulder to shoulder with god knows who, is not wise right now, especially with the ever increasing number of variants. Testing or no testing.

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
My son is scheduled to depart for Canada from POP to Toronto on Westjet this Saturday afternoon (Jan 23), however he is unable to get a Covid test appointment in time. The lab in Bournigal is closed on Thursday due to national holiday. They have appointments on Wednesday morning, but that is outside of the required 72 hours window and Friday morning is too late, since results take 3 days. What are all the other 200 passengers on that flight doing? This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
A

Few mins ago I looked at a Canadian web site
Haiti still exempt, but last flights out of Haiti had 26 people test positive in Canada

I'm surprised the Canadian community is not a bit more up in arms over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.