Wave of Expat Murders

Feb 15, 2005
You know this is really sad. Everyone tends to blame the Dominicans for EVERYTHING. Drugs, prostitution, etc, etc. But please. How many tourist go there just for that same reason. To get laid, to smoke and get high and drunk and party all night long. We in the U.S. glorify Spring Break (MTV) where hundreds of our college kids go away just to have an excuse to "go off" and get crazy on sex and drugs.
Let's be real. Hundreds if not thousands of tourists go to DR go there for the same reasons many Dominicans are driven to Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata. We you add this together you are going to find serious problems. Many guys I know gloriously call DR the "Little Rio De Janero" in terms of sex and drugs and look what Brazil is today.
Just like the US is the 2nd largest consumer of drugs in the world and then we crucify Columbia for producing it. Dahhhh. Where lies the problem?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No, not another one!!

I was speaking to a Coronel from San Jose de Ocoa who told me that Ocoa is the last place where they have been able to draw the line in the sand. He wrote off the rest of the island as drug infested.

Just wanted O&C to know that the line drawn in the sand appears to have become blurred. They found a marijuana plantation of 1480 plants in San Jose de Ocoa. They also dismantled a punto. So if O&C and his Colonel were correct last November when this was posted, then it has changed inside 4-5 months. Sadly.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=120546&guid=7FEF2ED2538A4395812B3186ED5D65B3&Seccion=63

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Coming back to the initial subject:
I believe one of the reasons ex pats may succumb to a higher percentage of murders is that, since most fail to have known connections with powerful nationals, there are no aftermaths to fear after killing them, except the police (maybe).
How many upper class and also really rich Dominicans do show off their wealth? Even thou many of them are not Drug Barons or otherwise crime related... thieves will think more than twice about touching them (yeah, yeah... I heard of the gentleman shot in Casa de Campo... I'm talking in general terms). Why? Because thieves would have to fear for their life for ever because it won't be worth a chele anymore once the family would find out who it was... not even the police would be able to help them...
On the other hand, who is going to revenge the death of some ex pat? An ex pat murderer in most cases only has to keep clear of the police for a while and then... fogitaboutit.

... J-D.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
This link doesn't work - unless you just wanted us to see some Dominican construction worker ad ! LOL

Just wanted O&C to know that the line drawn in the sand appears to have become blurred. They found a marijuana plantation of 1480 plants in San Jose de Ocoa. They also dismantled a punto. So if O&C and his Colonel were correct last November when this was posted, then it has changed inside 4-5 months. Sadly.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_...5B3&Seccion=63

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This link doesn't work - unless you just wanted us to see some Dominican construction worker ad ! LOL Marlie

It isn't an ad. for a Dominican construction worker. It's the sign that they are loading the new news pages........:rolleyes: (as in 'under construction!). LOL

Try now
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=120546&guid=7FEF2ED2538A4395812B3186ED5D65B3&Seccion=63

If you get the construction worker in future at any stage just wait 10 mins & try again. :)

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
This to J D Saucer:
Sadly, I have to agree with you that ex-pats make much more easier marks than wealthy locals. Take the case of the gentleman shot in Casa de Campo. His agressors are as good as dead and they know it. They know that sooner or later they are going to get what is due to them...a looong prison sentence, maybe a knife to their throats while they are inmates, or maybe a few bullets in the back while "trying to escape." On the other hand, the case of an ex-patriot who is killed in a hold-up or home invasion may be soon forgotten because no one is going to follow up on it. Unless the deceased's family has mucho dinero and can make multiple trips to SD and put pressure on local authorities little will be done. Like you say, the criminals need only to lay low for a while and then it's business as usual.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I think what mrgood100 meant to say is that for every 70 people murdered in DR, 99,930 are NOT murdered and that is good....

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
thugs

One thing that nobody has said is the amount of Dominicans that are deported each year from the U.S. most of these are for drugs and therefore drug gang related. I remember during Fernadez first term he went into the gettos and rounded up the gangs deported and thru them all in jail. It used to be if you commited a crime they would put your mother,father,members of your family in jail until you turned yourself in bring back the good old days.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It used to be if you commited a crime they would put your mother,father,members of your family in jail until you turned yourself in bring back the good old days.

That was a horrendous practice which, while it occasionally worked, also meant heaps of innocent people were rounded up & detained. As far as I'm aware the new Penal Code put a stop to that practice.

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
the government better do something quickly though! i mean whats the foriegn tourism income worth......millions and millions. This crime is going to threaten that

whats the amount of money derived from foriegn investment worth in the DR for ; (ie house construction, investment in DR financial houses, money for usual expenses; electricity/food etc)

Maybe there will always be people that will want to come and live in the DR despite the problems of crime but i think the government better get onto this problem

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Crime

You people cry and cry foul play. In this country it's FRENCH LAW you are guilty until proven innocent. And it does work where are they going to go except to another families member home. They have no money,no food,and no where to stay. It is an island for gods sake. Quit your complaning and enforce the laws !!!!