What’s next for a crackdown on Haitian migrants as the Dominican Republic leader enters a new term?

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
No, because as Haitians without legally being in the Dominican Republic they are using resource paid for intended for Dominicans. The more Haitians, or Venezuelans if you want to include others that take advantage of free services, the less that is available to poor Dominicans. With 30 percent of births being to Haitian women this is a high cost to a poor nation. Are you a supporter of open borders?

No doubt there is a financial cost to the Dominican citizenry regarding resources utilized by illegal immigrants. But where Haitians and Venezuelans, there are valid personal economic and safety issues involved... And the DR shares a historical relationship and physical border with Haiti, and Venezuela has helped the DR with fuel needs... Meaning, it's not just a matter of some Haitians and Venezuelans turning up at your door one morning asking for your money... There's more to it than that.

What services that illegal Haitians are using are not available to Dominicans?

Are Dominicans getting less services because resources are being reduced by illegal immigrants... I'm asking because I haven't come across any reports regarding this... And, as I said in another comment... Could the DR government not seek international community aid for the illegal immigrants that are in the DR because of the oppression being experienced in Haiti and Venezuela? Are there not international institutions whose mission is to support such matters?

And is the Dominican Republic a "...poor nation..."?

According to recent reports, the Dominican Republic is now considered an upper-middle-income developing country. But yes... One that still has 30% of its population suffering in poverty.

Why is that though... Why is 30% of the population of this now-considered upper-middle-income developing country, Dominican Republic, still suffering in poverty?

Is it because the illegal immigrants "...are using resources...." intended for them (the 30% DR population in poverty)?

Or is it because of other reasons?

And no, I don't support "...open borders..."... Unless it is in a particular context that clearly supports the proper, profitable development of participating countries.

Yet I also think that where there is an obvious humanitarian need, special circumstances/regulations can be put in place to deal with this need.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No doubt there is a financial cost to the Dominican citizenry regarding resources utilized by illegal immigrants. But where Haitians and Venezuelans, there are valid personal economic and safety issues involved... And the DR shares a historical relationship and physical border with Haiti, and Venezuela has helped the DR with fuel needs... Meaning, it's not just a matter of some Haitians and Venezuelans turning up at your door one morning asking for your money... There's more to it than that.

What services that illegal Haitians are using are not available to Dominicans?

Are Dominicans getting less services because resources are being reduced by illegal immigrants... I'm asking because I haven't come across any reports regarding this... And, as I said in another comment... Could the DR government not seek international community aid for the illegal immigrants that are in the DR because of the oppression being experienced in Haiti and Venezuela? Are there not international institutions whose mission is to support such matters?

And is the Dominican Republic a "...poor nation..."?

According to recent reports, the Dominican Republic is now considered an upper-middle-income developing country. But yes... One that still has 30% of its population suffering in poverty.

Why is that though... Why is 30% of the population of this now-considered upper-middle-income developing country, Dominican Republic, still suffering in poverty?

Is it because the illegal immigrants "...are using resources...." intended for them (the 30% DR population in poverty)?

Or is it because of other reasons?

And no, I don't support "...open borders..."... Unless it is in a particular context that clearly supports the proper, profitable development of participating countries.

Yet I also think that where there is an obvious humanitarian need, special circumstances/regulations can be put in place to deal with this need.
The historical relationship is not a good one between Haiti and the DR. In regards to a few of your questions , if you would visit the DR some of those questions would be answered.

Reactions: Notengo and jd426

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I would say from the discussions I have had and heard that the attitudes displayed in this article are the norm for most Dominicans.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I would say from the discussions I have had and heard that the attitudes displayed in this article are the norm for most Dominicans.
Maybe the norm for educated middle class dominicans as they look to be. They have some thoughtful answers. However I don’t think it is necessarily the opinion of the majority.. Many Dominicans have a simple one-sided opinion and it is not positive towards Haitians.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

These replies sound all scripted, edited, and rewritten by the same person.
These are the kind of answers my MIL, with her grade six education would say. She had a lot of both sympathy and empathy for Haitians. She thought they should be legal and that there were too many in the DR, but she felt for the women and children, and realized what was happening in Haiti. All the Haitian women stopped to talk with her. She was a teenager in the 1960s and remember the years of El Jefe very well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
The historical relationship is not a good one between Haiti and the DR. In regards to a few of your questions , if you would visit the DR some of those questions would be answered.
I know what the historical relationship is between Haiti and the DR... My point was simply that there was a historical relationship. Whether good or bad, it's there, and both governments will always need to figure out how to make it work. At the moment there is the Codevi Free Zone that shows a relationship between the DR and Haiti can be achieved. And the president of DR was in talks with the president of Haiti a few years ago, before he was killed, regarding better relations between the two countries.

Visiting the DR is on our (my wife and I) to-do list... And my wife has family in the DR, who have been there for almost fifty years... Also, my wife visited the DR back in 2014. So we're not completely in the dark. And both of us were born and lived in the Caribbean, so we know similar environments.

My questions were not really for my gaining knowledge... They were to understand how you look at the matters I brought up, as you reference them in your speaking without presenting any related details... My questions were asked so that details, instead of superficiality, could be identified for further discussion.

And FYI... I don't debate (something you mentioned in another comment)... I dropped all thought of that over twenty years ago... I have conversations to discuss matters that interest me... And in these discussions, I present my thoughts for discussion... As a kid, my family would gather around a table in the kitchen while my mother was cooking, and we'd have discussions about all sorts of things. I pretty much see online forums in the same way.