What can we do?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
charities in the DR

As TonyC mentions, we will need to get a list of schools, orphanages,etc in the DR that are legitimate and will put these machines to efficient use, while of course keeping them safe and well maintained.

There have been a couple already mentioned recently. Any others that you guys/gals know of?

mondongo

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
solar power

Unfortunately, the cost per kilowatt for solar power is extremely high. It makes sense in some situations but not everywhere.

Wind power is a lot cheaper. Lots of info on the web about this..

http://www.homepower.com is a good place to start

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I could teach canning. I sure did lots of it when the kids were young. It would be a great idea for the DR. Does anyone know if this is being done right now? Even pop bottles can be used if you have the new caps and the thing that puts on the caps. If your canning liquid things that is. This is such a good Idea Mondongo. So many are willing to help.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
TonyC....

Bugsy seems the way to go at the moment.
I'll email you with the address of my friend. She may know of more. Unfortunately she'll be in India until the beginning of June so I'll wait a bit before sending it to you. Also there is an organization in JD that's called S.C.O.R.E.
They're a religious group that goes to the batey's to bring "the word or Jesus" but also med supplies, books,clothes etc.
They haven't been there too long but I'll see if I can get a phone Number or email address for them.....they may know of orphanages and schools needing items. I had a phone # for them but forgot my book in JD! Drat.....all my contact's were in it.
I'm not sure about the canning thing......seems that most people prefer fresh and unlike Canada there's almost always everything available.
I think a better idea would be to encourage and train people to grow a garden. I must admit I don't see many of them in the DR and the ones I do see usually belong to extranjero's. Did anyone read my post about our friend that has the finca? He's surrounded by Dominicans who are too lazy to grow their own....they wait until fruit falls off his trees on their side of the fence to gather what they can. This is a MAJOR problem. The poor would be less poor if they would do something to help themselves.
I'll email my son on the weekend.....he's always too busy to answer me during the week.......

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
MommC,

I will be more than happy to look into it but I will warn everyone that I will not assist any organization or School affliated with any type of religous group.

Tony C.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Mondongo

Being an Engineer you might have heard of The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers or SHPE. What do you think of starting a chapter the universities in DR?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Getting the computers is the easy part. My school gets rid of hundreds of old computers each year, many sold off at auction and others donated. Companies are willing to donate as long as they're presented with a well written and strong proposal. I have done it in the past so I know it can be done.

If we can figure out how to get the computers into the country and through customs then I am willing to take care of writing and presenting the proposals.

What do you guys think? any ideas as to how we can get this done?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
my 2 cents

[6) lets examine every facet of everyday DR life and find better and more efficient methods ]

[How 'bout starting at the beginning, birth certificates! Everybody born in the DR needs one. I understand you can't go to school past the 6th grade if you don't have one. And having an accurate one would sure be great for those who play little league... in the states.

How are births recorded at this time? Does the law say how and when a birth should be documented? Is there a procedure for obtaining a "delayed certificate of birth"? How is it viewed legally? Computer wizards, some of those computers would come in handy... Portable - Spanish software, multiple batteries :)

Teaching kids to read and write in Spanish.

Adult education.

Teaching adults to read and write in Spanish.

Vocational training.

Gardening.

Canning is good for dry periods, and selling.

English]

for starters.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
TonyC.......

I was thinking more on the lines of having them help us. As I understand it they have NGO status!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Does anyone know if Joe Louthard sold his buiding across from the Brittania? Maybe he could donate some space in Sosua.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Ok, I am on the computer trail everyone!

Instead of directing you all to Orphanage Outreach seperately, I am going to talk to my contacts there myself and then I will post the results about how we can get all these PCs moving in a southerly direction in an orderly fashion. I think it will be much easier that way. As soon as I know I will post the answer.

I will also ask for some contacts of other schools, orphanages, etc. that they know of that may be able to put these PCs to good (and responsible) use. The director has been working in the DR (Monte Cristi and Esperanza) since '94, spends a lot of time there, and is always being asked by other schools and orphanages for his help. But he has been focusing on the 2 first orphanages in order to do the job right there with improvements, and is thinking of expansion to others in the near future. Therefore, he may know of other places where they can go.

Thanks again everyone, Mondongo, this is great thread! You are so organized!

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
Re: Used PC

Good thread Mondongo (as usual)

I was looking for a reason to buy a new desktop! I have a desktop that I will donate. Just let me know where to send. I may be able to dig up a few more from friends and clients.

DR Techie: I thought there was a SHPE chapter in one of the dominican universities already? I may be confused with NSHMBA.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Another Idea.....

I was actually thinking about a plan, that I could use my fundraising money for and since we are on the topic I thought I would bring it up.
It is a travelling vehicle, pretty large, that would travel from batey to batey, as well as some campos and barrios. It would have inside books, computers (internet), games, movies, it would kind of act as a travelling community centre. Popular education would also be done here, on health care, education, sanitation, etc. That is my dream.
What do you think? I believe that it could be possible. Any suggestions on how this could be done? Funding? Supplies?
Thanks!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Great Idea Meredith.....

Especially the popular education part.......it is so badly need in most areas.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Trivalent

I am not aware of any SHPE chapters in DR. What are some of the good engineering schools in the country?

My reason for wanting to start a SHPE chapter is to give engineering students the opportunity to interact with industry leaders and develop their networking skills. SHPE profesionally develops students by teaching leadership skills and generally helps them to become well rounded individuals. It also gives them a competetive advantage and levels the playing field giving DR Engineers a fair chance at landing better jobs with outside companies.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Forgive my adding a note of scepticism here. About 3 months ago we had someone on ln the board offering 20-30 computers if there was a reliable outlet for these. I offered to take 10 to distribute around the schools I KNOW could use them, but as to this date I have received no further communication - has anyone else heard from the would be donators??
Similarly we have had medical supplies offered - I believe that Hillbilly might have received some but my shipment went astray in the postal system & the replacements have not arrived!!
On the positive side, Tom D' always brings clothes down with him some of which we distribute for him & last week I took one of the board's contributors to a local Bario where they personally handed the clothes, perfume, pencils etc out. A bit of an eye opener for them that bario BUT they had fun doing it!!!

I have heard of a service out of Miami called Air Pony. It does not sound to big an operation yet & might be prepared to take some "Freebies" if/when they do not have a full load! I can get e-mail/website address if anyone feels like chasing them up.

With regard to customs, I am sure that if we approached the Aduana via the Minister of Education (or Health if that is to be included in the deliveries) we would be able to get the exemption to paying taxes needed to make this a viable proposition. I will undertake that issue IF/WHEN we have guaranteed shipments available. NO promises but I now someone who knows someone who knows ........ The President's wife. I would start with that approach, then go on to the Ministers concerned afterwards if necessary.
Golo, Don't YOU have better contacts than me?? Can't your 3rd cousin or someone speak directly to Hippo himself?? I am more than happy to relinquish the "contacts" element to anyone who feels they can handle it and then help in a distribution mode!!

Good luck to all who want to help - AND THANKS - Grahame.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
summary:
1. we have the following posters expressing an interest in donating an old PC: mondongo, MommC, Trivalent, AZB..... TonyC has access to some refurbished PC's and DRtechie might be able to get his college to donate some. This is a great start.

2. BushBaby might be able to help with transportation and customs. Those of us in the USA will find a way to get them over to Miami.

Still needed:

1) People in the DR to locate institutions that need these computers and are able to take care of and make good use of them.

2) Also, we could use lots of Spanish software. MommC is looking into part of this.

Thanks everyone. Who knows, maybe we can actually pull this off!

PS DRtechie: I do not belong to SHPE,mainly out of ignorance of who they are and what they do. At some point , that might be something to look into expanding into DR.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Re: solar power

shadley000 said:
Unfortunately, the cost per kilowatt for solar power is extremely high. It makes sense in some situations but not everywhere.

Wind power is a lot cheaper. Lots of info on the web about this..

The DR should also be a good candidate for wind power in some areas. You also are correct in saying that the cost of solar power is rather prohibitively high. In my earlier post regarding solar energy, I was thinking of single unit installations i.e. small installations for one house or one business and not an entire neighborhood or city. My opinion, at least for us city dwellers, is that solar would be a better option since we cannot or will not put up towers for wind turbines. For solar to be useful in supplementing electricity for a house or business, it is clear to me that units must be developed that are low maintenance, high efficiency, and having a significantly lower initial investment than units currently available. Be it known, however, that I am a Baptist missionary and not an engineer. My interest here is in helping people- not starting a business!

azul

Apr 17, 2002
computer in D-R

HELLO FROM QU?BEC CITY I AM GOING TO ASK AND PHONE ABOUT HOW TO GET THE COMPUTERS OVER R-D....

ANY DEMANDS I USE TO BE TRAVEL AGENT FOR 3 YEARS AND I KNOW A LOT OF THINGS ABOUT TRAVEL AND FOREINGS AFFAIRS...

OF COURSE I AM INTO IT FOR HELPING

LET ME KNOW
AZUL