What can we do?

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Mondongo's Thread re: computer usage

We would like to suggest something in addition to all that has been posted thus far.

Please consider using LINUX operating systems, since you will be teaching kids how to use computers... there is no copyright B.S.
attached to it, and it is available in so many languages around the world. It is superior to Microsoft... in our humble opinion!
So much stuff related to Linux can be downloaded from the Internet. Or someone who already has the program CD's could burn (copy) the entire set and send it to someone there in DR. It is different, it takes a bit of getting used to, but if someone is starting from scratch anyway, it is one way to subdue the monopoly giant and be free of all the invasive tracking that MS has incorporated into their software.

This is in no way meant to step on anyone's toes if they are "into" Microsoft. I don't flame anyone. I am just stating an opinion.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who wants to help others.

Bye for now!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
am no particular fan of MSFT

But, perhaps here is not the best place to fight the battle.

People need immediately employable skills..

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I'm interested in the Linux system, too, Corona, and nor am I a big Microsoft fan, but I tend to agree with Shadley. Believe me because I know these kids... they need something that they can use, hopefully ASAP after school. So I think we will need to stick with the MS systems. But thanks for your input!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My first recommendation would be to support what is working.

Note that it is not easy to donate things to the Dominican Republic, especially if you have to pass these through customs. Thus, my suggestion would be to get in touch with institutions that already have developed the donation channels.

For instance, in Santo Domingo, the Muchachos y Muchachas con Don Bosco program at http://www.mdb.org.do/

In Puerto Plata, the Integracion Juvenil program at http://www.puertoplataguide.com/ij_en.html

If there is a big interest, we can detect other worthy institutions that are already reaching out to Dominicans in order to channel these donations.

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
Sorry mondongo but I'm in the U.S. I do hope that you guys and gals do pull this off. When I first read your post I thought it was another conversation topic that would eventually wear out into nothingness but (so far) you've proven me wrong...

buena suerte a todos

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Help!

Hi Everyone! I hope you all haven't forgotten about this thread!!

I finally got the info on the PCs. Basically the director of Orphanage Outreach is saying that he ideally wants new PCs from the DR, to avoid all the potential hassles of shipping, fixing, software glitches, etc. etc. I see his point, but at the same time what we have on our hands here is people who have PCs they want to donate. So he more or less said that if I can pull it off he will help me along the way.

I'm assuming that PCs to be donated are not complete dinosaurs, and we would need to make sure with each one that it has his requirements:

Windows 95 or 98
CD
audio capability

Here's the list of other stuff I/we need to do, from the director:

1) Getting the donations
2) Upgrading the machines to a minimal acceptable level (I would think Windows
95 or 98, with a CD player and audio capability (multimedia)
3) Documenting the hardware and software on each machine
4) Storing the computers
5) Coordinating with volunteers to get them to the D.R. I think it's best if
they all come down at one time, perhaps coordinated with a group from Middlebury
next spring?
6) Getting approval from the director of customs (I've got his name and fax)
7) Having someone install and network the computers in the D.R., and train the
person responsible for them there.

I know it seems like a lot, but hey, every project has a to do list. And don't worry about number 7, that I can take care of. I would say the hardest one would be getting the customs approval. Does anyone have an idea of how hard that might actually be??

Let me know what you guys think, and don't leave me hanging here! How great would it be if we could say that the boys in the orphanage were learning computer skills because we helped them????!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Talked to my son.......

He says Microsoft has a whole dept.that does nothing but make donations.........:D
He's going to find out who to contact and let me know. He also says that we need a charitable organization to make the request for the software but there's all kinds of Spanish stuff so they'll be able to ask for specific needs like OS and Print stuff and "educational" stuff (English,math etc,).
So I'll need to know who to give the info to when I get it????????

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
MommC - that sounds great!! OK, anything that actually needs to be done from the charitable organization can be done from Tom, director of Orphanage Outreach. They are a non-profit (501-C-something or whatever the tax code is) I will email him and let him know that this Microsoft thing is a possibility and he will most likely tell me to have you email him the info. We will cross that bridge when we come to it, but I will let him know now.

TonyC - The orphanage where the computers would end up is the Hogar Buen Samaritano Orphanage in Esperanza, Valverde. It is only for boys, and there are over 20 living there now, I dont know the exact number. There is a pastor who runs it, along with an administrator that does the nitty-gritty stuff and usually a small team of others. The pastor is Pentecostal, and it is run in that tradition but he is not very strict about it. I can't think of any other info... you can ask me specific questions...

Orphanage Outreach is involved there in that it sends down groups of volunteers in the spring as a spring break trip to teach English, do activities with the kids, etc. Mostly college kids go and they also do maintenence and rebuilding on the grounds. OO also runs a summer camp for the kids with volunteers as well during June and July. And I have just been told they are beginning a sort of 'study abroad' program in which college kids could go there for a semester.

There are pictures of the kids at Hogar Buen Samaritano and other info at: www.orphanage-outreach.org

Hope this answers everything, I will let you guys know and keep the posts coming!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Bugsey,

What you are doing is quite admirable and I wish you all the best on your endevour. Unfortunately I can not assist you on this one. I don't want to get political here but due to personl convictions I cannot be a part of any religious organization.

Best of luck

Tony C.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bugsey

Getting the computers and then getting them there are the two key challenges. I think that getting them there is probably the most important aspect. Assuring that the PC's will get used according to the donator's wish is paramount. Once the logistics are worked out then more people would be willing to donate, i think.

Also, if we could get another show of hands of those who are willing to help....there is enough interest to keep this little flame alit..MommC: good news from you son!

mondongo

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Come on, folks, as Mondongo asked before can we get a new show of hands for those that were interested in donating computers (or even those that can ask around to see if they know anyone willing)????

If I ain't got the PCs I ain't got nothing!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I am still willing but we still have to figure out how to get the computers in the country.

As for network & training personnel, I volunteer for that too. I spoke to a couple of my Dominican frat brothers and they are only more than happy to help. One of them would do the network since he has experience working in that and I have myself and another person who can conduct the training.

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
If anyone is going to the DR they can write a letter to the airline they are travelling on for complementary weight allowance. The airlines will donate "space" on the aircraft if they do not bulk out on their total weight. If anyone is travelling on a Canadian charter airline out of Toronto, i can volunteer my services as far as helpling you out with excess weight allowances. Email me personally.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
OK Michelle, thanks for that, I will let you know, since we hopefully will have PCs from Canada, and I know that not many Orpahange Outreach volunteers come from there.

DRTechie, that would be great! I already know that a couple friends of mine that live near the orpahange will be able to help out too. And they can help with long term care of the PCs, should a problem come up in the future.

As for transportation, what will happen is that I will have a list of where the PCs are in the US and Canada that are ready to be donated (the step I am still on now!!!!). We will have to document the hardware and software that is on the PCs.
I will also have a list of the volunteers that are coming to the DR for the summer program (or the fall if it takes us that long). We will inform those volunteers that instead of taking a second suitcase full of donations (as they normally do) that they will be taking a computer instead.
Through contacts OO has at American Airlines and Dominican customs, we will notify them about the PCs that are going down there, what flights, with which volunteers etc., etc. From there, the PCs will hopefully be in the DR, and transported with the arriving volunteers on the buses to the orpahange and can be set up whenever possible.