What is holding back tourism in Puerto Plata?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
PC has hotels that are often 20 years newer than in POP.

POP AI's are not being updated, and it only takes a few bad exp to make the whole area seem run down.

PC has far more marketing for a destination, not just by hotels, but as a destination.

PC has package deals often including air flights that make it cheaper than POP.

PC hotels all have websites and many are franchises to guarantee similar quality and standards.

The city of POP is nasty, noisy and polluted and has very little to offer other than the cable car, which is often not running.

The higher standards of the hotels in PC brings any unaffiliated restaurants up in quality.

So other than price, quality and location...

only thing with the cable car is that most of the Europeans who come to the DR have been in better cable cars than the Teleferrico.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I love the North Coast and Puerto Plata especially....However Kristen is right, here in Canada Punta Cana is marketed pretty much exclusively. When I say I want to go to Puerto Plata the travel agents are shocked. And the flights are very expensive....we usually book an AI simply because it's generally the cheapest way but we are rarely on the resort, most people ( including travel agents) are scared to wander around on their own....they are told repeatedly how dangerous it is. The first thing the reps tell you in the welcome meeting is to stay close to the resort and only book excursions from the hotel reps as it's unsafe to do so with others. At my first stay in the country I was actually told not to even go down to the " market area" at the end of the beach unless I was with a group. I had already been there on my own and made out fine but most people take these tips to heart. I see many people asking if it's safe to walk around within Playa Dorada....

They say all the same crap at the A.I.'s in Punta Cana too. There are two reasons for this. One is that they genuinely do want to avoid ANY kind of problem for the tourists. They are very protective of the tourists, and of their reputation for safety which they've worked hard to improve. Obviously, the second reason is to keep as many of the dollars inside the resort as possible.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you take away the sex tourism out of DR,the economy will collapse!

that is the gospel truth. i told one guy that i do not personally know any young guys who came to the DR for anything besides the girls. let's face it; there is no Big Ben here. no Eiffel Tower. no Pyramids. the food is not anything to speak about, and the music is pretty lame. so, that leaves beaches. every caribbean country has those. ergo, the big draw is the girls. nothing more, nothing less. without Pedro Clisante, Sosua is a wasteland.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You have a point gorgon but most Caribbean island are upmarket, so it is also because DR is affordable (but so is the pussy)

Last edited:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
One of the funniest (not in a funny way) things I discover about this country is how difficult / impossible it is to leverage existing investments through loans or recapitalization to renew what you already have. It's amazing that the government or at least quasi-smart bankers haven't figured out that this will literally "renew" the country in several ways which will always result in more income/taxes/kickbacks/bribes for them.

Instead, they charge 28% interest for mortgages that are virtually impossible to obtain and then change the interest rate on a monthly basis (if they can). Again, the Dominican mentality of focusing on "today" and totally foregoing "tomorrow" is rampant in basic financial dealings with banks. Amazing.

One day I hope to see some bright spark come up with a plan allowing these AI's to refinance their holdings in an affordable manner so they can tear them down, build anew and bring in tourists by the truckload. Alas, I'm afraid those that "have" do not actually want this to occur as it would create a middle class. A middle class (as America has discovered) can be very annoying ;-)

Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath!

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
What you said happen in almost every major american city, in a far richer country. What do you expect? To go to a 3erd world country and expect the citinzery to act like swiss, swedish citizens? They will continue coming to the AI places and the reminder would come to have sex with young girls and to buy cheap beers.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
Tourism accomodation is like buying a new car. If you do not maintain it or replaced it you will then have an old cranker.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Yes the word is out about Puerto Plata. When guys from the States fly to the D.R they tell there friends ,family and colleagues that they are going to Punta Cana , otherwise people look at them with disdain and they are labeled "sex tourist". I can't even tell people in Santiago that I'm going to the beach in Sosua, if I do they give me the evil eye like I'm a low class pervert (when I'm actually just a regular pervert).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One of the funniest (not in a funny way) things I discover about this country is how difficult / impossible it is to leverage existing investments through loans or recapitalization to renew what you already have. It's amazing that the government or at least quasi-smart bankers haven't figured out that this will literally "renew" the country in several ways which will always result in more income/taxes/kickbacks/bribes for them.

Instead, they charge 28% interest for mortgages that are virtually impossible to obtain and then change the interest rate on a monthly basis (if they can). Again, the Dominican mentality of focusing on "today" and totally foregoing "tomorrow" is rampant in basic financial dealings with banks. Amazing.

One day I hope to see some bright spark come up with a plan allowing these AI's to refinance their holdings in an affordable manner so they can tear them down, build anew and bring in tourists by the truckload. Alas, I'm afraid those that "have" do not actually want this to occur as it would create a middle class. A middle class (as America has discovered) can be very annoying ;-)

Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath!

it is partly because of short sightedness that the DR suffers the problems that it does. they do not believe in a concept known as "tomorrow". actually, that is not necessarily so, because tomorrow is the day when they promise to get things done, not today. they are the past masters of bragging rights, so they are as happy as pigs in $hit as long as the numbers tell them that they are number 1. their aim is to get the headcount up, not the quality. they sell all these cheap packages that barely make a few cents on the dollar. the infrastructure carrying capacity cannot sustain the numbers they already have, but they plan to get more. that is why they have the lowest return rate in the caribbean. more is not normally better, but you cannot tell them that. they do not want to hear it.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
there is no Big Ben here. no Eiffel Tower. no Pyramids. the food is not anything to speak about, and the music is pretty lame.

If this law passes, you won't have to dis the DR's culture anymore because you'll be able to move to Paris and have your Eiffel Tower along with your prostitutes and croissants:

"If a proposal to repeal a 10-year-old solicitation law passes the French Senate later this month, public prostitution could become legal in Paris"

Public Prostitution Could Become Legal In Paris If Proposal To Repeal Solicitation Law Passes

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If this law passes, you won't have to dis the DR's culture anymore because you'll be able to move to Paris and have your Eiffel Tower along with your prostitutes and croissants:

"If a proposal to repeal a 10-year-old solicitation law passes the French Senate later this month, public prostitution could become legal in Paris"

Public Prostitution Could Become Legal In Paris If Proposal To Repeal Solicitation Law Passes

first of all, you do not know me, so you are not in a position to speculate about me and 'my prostitutes". secondly, it appears that the truth hurts. Dominican food is not exactly setting the world on fire, just in case it escaped you. people talk about Italian food. they talk about Chinese food. they talk about French and German cuisine. just like nobody talks about British food, nobody talks about Dominican food. as far as music is concerned, the DR music scene is not anything like a place like Jamaica, with the big international reggae concerts. so, what have i said that offends you so mightily, that is not the truth?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
you take away the sex tourism out of DR,the economy will collapse!

That is simply a myth.

Everytime I get on a plane to fly to the DR, there are more AI'ers then sex tourists. Plain and simple. Usually about 75/25. It's easy to tell them apart.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is simply a myth.

Everytime I get on a plane to fly to the DR, there are more AI'ers then sex tourists. Plain and simple. Usually about 75/25. It's easy to tell them apart.

the question is not headcount. it is expenditure. who spends more? the guy who stays in the hotel, and sits at the pool drinking till he pukes, or the guy who picks up a chica, spends money on her, buys her drinks, pays her for the service, and sends her a c-note by western union every month?

Jan 22, 2010
Puerto Plata died because local politicians do not want to promote tourism nor create jobs...they prefer filling their own walletts with money. Thanks Walter Musa!!!
T.E.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Puerto Plata died because local politicians do not want to promote tourism nor create jobs...they prefer filling their own walletts with money. Thanks Walter Musa!!!
T.E.

that is par for the course in the DR. i have heard so often about all this money that is spent on promotion and advertising. where is it spent, and how? i have not seen a tv spot on the DR in years. at least, not on English speaking tv.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
the DR goverment forgot about this side of the island yrs. ago when PC came into the picture , no different then in mexico when they built Cancun.