What is holding back tourism in Puerto Plata?

May 29, 2006
When you do see promotion, it's by the AI's... I've seen some ad space in the NYC for POP/Sosua by travel agencies but nothing compared to PC. Part of it is simply that many tourists want the sterile AI exp. A couple bachata lessons and maybe some over-priced lobster is all they want for "local" flavor. The Dominican owned POP places can't compete with the slick ad campaigns even if they did have as good facilities and many don't even have independent web pages. When you can't keep pace as an AI with Blackbeards for online content, you may be in trouble.

What I've been seeing more than anything else is ads for Jamaica and the Bahamas. The Turks doesn't advertise in the US, but much of their market is higher end.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When you do see promotion, it's by the AI's... I've seen some ad space in the NYC for POP/Sosua by travel agencies but nothing compared to PC. Part of it is simply that many tourists want the sterile AI exp. A couple bachata lessons and maybe some over-priced lobster is all they want for "local" flavor. The Dominican owned POP places can't compete with the slick ad campaigns even if they did have as good facilities and many don't even have independent web pages. When you can't keep pace as an AI with Blackbeards for online content, you may be in trouble.

What I've been seeing more than anything else is ads for Jamaica and the Bahamas. The Turks doesn't advertise in the US, but much of their market is higher end.

show some love for Blackbeard's. that place is well run. the owner there could give most Dominican hoteliers several lessons in how to run a business.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Ministry of Tourism should give Playa Dorado a make over. The beach, yes they should invest in a raking system. In Lt they have people who clean up the beaches every morning. If this is not being done in Puerta Plata than the Hotels are missing the boat by sending Tourists home with a bad taste in their mouths. There is so much competition for tourists $$$$$ inside of the DR, the Caribbean and other areas, such as Fla. Perhaps Puerta Plata needs something more to make it a tourist destination , such as, a theme park to attract families. The problem is that it is difficult to get outside investment in something like this. The Gov. needs to partner up. How about the real "Pirates of the Caribbean"

LTSteve

May 29, 2006
show some love for Blackbeard's. that place is well run. the owner there could give most Dominican hoteliers several lessons in how to run a business.

That's the thing. They DO run a better run business than most AIs around POP. Even in Sosua, if you don't put money into your place(and take care of your employees), someone is going to take your client base. Once upon a time, Europa was the hot spot in Sosua and New Garden has swooped up their base. There are a few places that you have to book ahead and the rest of the hotels pretty much rely on overflows. I remember when New Garden was Garden Keti and it wasn't that busy. A new owner and some hard work and the place is booming. Hotels can't survive if they simply rely on single visit guests. It's repeat customers and word of mouth that keeps a place going.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If the DR Gov truly wants to improve the POP area they need to be innovative in there thinking. Punta Cana is where they are putting their resources. POP can't compete with Punta Cana but it could carve it's own niche. People have to want to create a better product.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Ministry of Tourism should give Playa Dorado a make over. The beach, yes they should invest in a raking system. In Lt they have people who clean up the beaches every morning. If this is not being done in Puerta Plata than the Hotels are missing the boat by sending Tourists home with a bad taste in their mouths. There is so much competition for tourists $$$$$ inside of the DR, the Caribbean and other areas, such as Fla. Perhaps Puerta Plata needs something more to make it a tourist destination , such as, a theme park to attract families. The problem is that it is difficult to get outside investment in something like this. The Gov. needs to partner up. How about the real "Pirates of the Caribbean"

LTSteve

well, someone invested gazillions in bringing sand from either Cabarete or Sosua to make the beach along the POP malecon. only thing is, it is now a pigsty. besides, you can rule out that part of POP, since too many tourists get robbed along the malecon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's the thing. They DO run a better run business than most AIs around POP. Even in Sosua, if you don't put money into your place(and take care of your employees), someone is going to take your client base. Once upon a time, Europa was the hot spot in Sosua and New Garden has swooped up their base. There are a few places that you have to book ahead and the rest of the hotels pretty much rely on overflows. I remember when New Garden was Garden Keti and it wasn't that busy. A new owner and some hard work and the place is booming. Hotels can't survive if they simply rely on single visit guests. It's repeat customers and word of mouth that keeps a place going.

absolutely!!! Blackbeards has its regulars who have been going there for years. during the lowest of low season, it still stays well booked. the guy knows his $hit! look at Samana; one of the most beautiful pieces of real estate in the world. tourism return rate? 16%. that is no way to run a railroad. return visitors are the best advertisement you can get. besides, it is free.

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Everyone knows political power has alot to do with tourism, and I definetly agree with "today vs "tommorrow" lol. One thing I did not mention is I also own a home in Puerto Plata. When I do visit I go buy way of AI instead of straight out flights as it is cheaper. I have never been able to understand this one.
The guy who looks after my house also has the today vs tommorrow outlook. It has taken me 2 years to convince him to leave my pool pump running (he tries to save me electricity costs) but instead I have replaced pump seals numerous times, chlorine and chemicals are costing alot more(numerous pool shocking,lol) and recently replaced the pump as it seized up. Even though he had nothing but good intentions he doesn't think that leaving things sitting causes problems,lol. He has agreed to keep the new pump running though.
The prostitute situations is everywhere in the world, difference being POP is much less discreet. I am sure some of these girls are readily available as they have children to feed and because of the lack of $$ this is a sure thing. The definitely are not thinking about tomorrow! Its the worlds oldest profession and will always be around.
Some of the individuals who have commented on this post have really great points and should attend the upcoming meeting and voice your opinions. If it was my first time in Pop at an AI some of the things I would want to see are clean rooms (I wouldn't care how dated the resort was if it was maintained) nice, clean beach so yes raking would need to be done regularly. I don't care what colour the damn sand is (i'm not eating it,lol) Presence of security would also help, and not security that constantly wants you to fetch them drinks while they hold guns in their hands,lol. Good food, combination of both Dominican and Canadian. There will always be ppl you can not satisfy but that is what Pizza Hut, Burger King and the Roadway are for,lol
I personally like to venture of the resort no matter where i am and that is where common sense comes in. At the meet and greet instead of scaring ppl they should be encouraging tourists to venture off whether its a paid excursion or not. Tell them what places are more safe the others. Tell them not to go alone as they wouldn't venture into the unknown in their own countries. COMMON SENSE! The Malecon has very beautiful scenery with Long Beach, have a beer and a bite to eat. Let them know about Sunday parties and bbques.Its a great experience,lol. I also think that added security there would help.
As a first time tourists I would be appalled at the amount of garbage. Clean it up especially before dumpsters are overflowing and cows are eating it,lol. Central Park is absolutely gorgeous, I personally like the local fruit and vegetable markets. Local shopping is great, cable car, the fort. I am only naming a few. POP is beautiful and can make a Comeback. I am rambling so thats it.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
In reading this thread it occurred to me that many Canadians may not be aware of El Catey (AZS) airport on the north coast. I've been informed that WestJet flies in there and the cost is very affordable. While it isn't the best airport for visiting Puerto Plata, of course, virtually anything from Cabarete to Las Terrenas is only an hour away. Just sayin...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Everyone knows political power has alot to do with tourism, and I definetly agree with "today vs "tommorrow" lol. One thing I did not mention is I also own a home in Puerto Plata. When I do visit I go buy way of AI instead of straight out flights as it is cheaper. I have never been able to understand this one.
The guy who looks after my house also has the today vs tommorrow outlook. It has taken me 2 years to convince him to leave my pool pump running (he tries to save me electricity costs) but instead I have replaced pump seals numerous times, chlorine and chemicals are costing alot more(numerous pool shocking,lol) and recently replaced the pump as it seized up. Even though he had nothing but good intentions he doesn't think that leaving things sitting causes problems,lol. He has agreed to keep the new pump running though.
The prostitute situations is everywhere in the world, difference being POP is much less discreet. I am sure some of these girls are readily available as they have children to feed and because of the lack of $$ this is a sure thing. The definitely are not thinking about tomorrow! Its the worlds oldest profession and will always be around.
Some of the individuals who have commented on this post have really great points and should attend the upcoming meeting and voice your opinions. If it was my first time in Pop at an AI some of the things I would want to see are clean rooms (I wouldn't care how dated the resort was if it was maintained) nice, clean beach so yes raking would need to be done regularly. I don't care what colour the damn sand is (i'm not eating it,lol) Presence of security would also help, and not security that constantly wants you to fetch them drinks while they hold guns in their hands,lol. Good food, combination of both Dominican and Canadian. There will always be ppl you can not satisfy but that is what Pizza Hut, Burger King and the Roadway are for,lol
I personally like to venture of the resort no matter where i am and that is where common sense comes in. At the meet and greet instead of scaring ppl they should be encouraging tourists to venture off whether its a paid excursion or not. Tell them what places are more safe the others. Tell them not to go alone as they wouldn't venture into the unknown in their own countries. COMMON SENSE! The Malecon has very beautiful scenery with Long Beach, have a beer and a bite to eat. Let them know about Sunday parties and bbques.Its a great experience,lol. I also think that added security there would help.
As a first time tourists I would be appalled at the amount of garbage. Clean it up especially before dumpsters are overflowing and cows are eating it,lol. Central Park is absolutely gorgeous, I personally like the local fruit and vegetable markets. Local shopping is great, cable car, the fort. I am only naming a few. POP is beautiful and can make a Comeback. I am rambling so thats it.

i would never waste a perfectly good afternoon in one of those get-togethers with the same guys whose lame ideas are partly to blame for the mess in the first place. many of these guys live on a planet far, far, away. nonsense ideas about building amusement parks! yes, to attract some guy who lives a half mile away from Great Adventure, or Disneyworld. these are guys who are reactive, not proactive. they have no idea about how to build something, only how to try and patch up something that is broken. they need to bite the bullet, suck up their pride, and put some caribbean tourism genius like Butch Stewart from Sandals on a contract to see what could be done, instead of all these licenciados and licenciadas who have zero clue

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The outdated crappy 3 star hotels in Playa Dorada, together with the noisy and dirty town, have given Puerto Plata a bad name and have dragged down tourism. First, the bad hotels need to shut down (either via economics or by gov.) and either be converted to fancy condos (which is happening), or new ones built - which will improve the overall image of PD and the beach. Rebuilding can only come with major tax breaks from ITBS and import taxes, e.g. Confutur but on much bigger scale.

In town, you need to get rid of the moto conchos and have busses or trams, like the rest of the world. This will improve noise pollution and crazy traffic, not to mention accidents and other negative side effects. Putting those drivers to work in other jobs, will not be easy, but often a new econcomic structure is needed, for example, a lot of horse businesses were put out of business by the railroad, but the railroad ended up being a boom for many towns. Some towns refused the railroads, well, what do you think happened to them?

There are many other things that need to be done, but dont have the time right now.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
i would never waste a perfectly good afternoon in one of those get-togethers with the same guys whose lame ideas are partly to blame for the mess in the first place. many of these guys live on a planet far, far, away. nonsense ideas about building amusement parks! yes, to attract some guy who lives a half mile away from Great Adventure, or Disneyworld. these are guys who are reactive, not proactive. they have no idea about how to build something, only how to try and patch up something that is broken. they need to bite the bullet, suck up their pride, and put some caribbean tourism genius like Butch Stewart from Sandals on a contract to see what could be done, instead of all these licenciados and licenciadas who have zero clue

I agree they're "head in the sand" idiots, only interested in short term lining their pockets, but by going to the meeting and at least trying to make them see sense might just have a small impact. If they hear the same message from enough people, maybe some sense might finally sink in. If nobody says anything, there is no chance!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What is the driving time from El Catey to POP?

About 2.5 hrs.... to POP, less, of course to Sos/Cab.

From NoAmerica..... Air Canada and WestJet (Cdn) and Jet Blue

I just priced it today Apr 20-24 for my daughter.
JetBlue = $401.50 R/T.......... POP was over $700

Not to mention the least congested, most polite and freshest airport in the country...... very welcoming and pleasant.

JB is NYC only to AZS (Samana)

The outdated crappy 3 star hotels in Playa Dorada, together with the noisy and dirty town, have given Puerto Plata a bad name and have dragged down tourism. First, the bad hotels need to shut down (either via economics or by gov.) and either be converted to fancy condos (which is happening), or new ones built - which will improve the overall image of PD and the beach. Rebuilding can only come with major tax breaks from ITBS and import taxes, e.g. Confutur but on much bigger scale.

I totally agree with conchman......

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Greedy, corrupt Dominican politicians making high landing rates for airlines and a greedy greedy visitors fee and they need to lower the crime rates so it is completely safe to walk day and night. Also, some sketchy people who scam tourists and give the location a bad name.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Get some real law enforcement. (all is against tourists). They ignore moto conchos, cars driven by locals, burgulary pimps,robbers, drug dealers, etc

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
the question is not headcount. it is expenditure. who spends more? the guy who stays in the hotel, and sits at the pool drinking till he pukes, or the guy who picks up a chica, spends money on her, buys her drinks, pays her for the service, and sends her a c-note by western union every month?

The question is also who gets whose money. I quess often the money spent in AI's don't stay in DR. When I spend a night with a local girl dancing in El Cabaillon or La Canita, changing the places with motoconcho, the locals get 100% my $, (or the haitianas :)