What is the biggest difference between here and where you came from!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
You guys don't have any real flo!!! That is why you get walked on in DR! You have to be VIP in order to get what you want!!!

jmb773 is correct, relax and enjoy the mamajuana next to your lady and stop feeling bad for yourself. But I would blast some tipico until my speakers burst!!!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Also, as for the person that took the casheirs money should look in the mirror. What kind of person does this? You do not know if she was a single mother and that will get deducted from her paycheck. Bad move

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Move

... that will get deducted from her paycheck.

Well, that's the idea.
Probably the only way to teach some kind of people customer service manners and be responsible for what they do.

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Also, as for the person that took the casheirs money should look in the mirror. What kind of person does this? You do not know if she was a single mother and that will get deducted from her paycheck. Bad move

yes, indeed.. that WAS the point.To have the money deducted from her pay check. So that she might JUST might be able to reflect back on WHEN she might have lost that 1000 pesos? Could it have been that Americana who kept telling her to PAY ATTENTION TO HER WORK?

The scene was just this. At the pharmacy when you buy medicine, the girl brings over the medicine to the cashier and tells her how much it is. So there they were the two girls talking. Talking. Talking. That was their most important event.

I interrupted to ask how much I owed?
Oh.. she said.. 320 pesos.. I handed her 500 pesos.. She went back to talking.. talking ... talking.. I said MIRA...

tu tienes que terminar con migo. Dame, por favor, mi cambio. Despues de estas tu puedes hablar con tu amiga.

And she LOOKED at me with SUCH contempt... As if I had NO right to speak to her like that. DESPITE the fact that I am old enough to be her abuela!!!

So, when she made the mistake.. and handed me out that extra 1000 pesos note, I checked my normal instincts to return it .. because it was her own anger, her own arrogance, which had caused her mistake.

I do not believe that ever before in my life have I kept change that was handed back to me in error. If I find money on the street or something, I pick it up and give it to an old beggar lady (there but for fortune go I or my mother)....

But I had given this young woman a lesson. the sort of lesson that her EMPLOYERS should have given her. In something called TRAINING. Which they clearly do NOT give here.

I do not know why they do not give it,

I do not know why they allow clerks and salespeople to be rude to customers, to talk on cell phones or to one another.

Now I am ok with having to barge into the fray at the colmado, elbowing my way among the crowd.

And I am learning how to be patient when I have to stand in line for 20 minutes waiting for the machine to spit out the receipt for payment of my phone bill

but sometimes.. really...

basta ya

spoiled children with no work ethic

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I really Hope that they deducted 1000,or MORE from her paycheck,AND fined her 10,000 for her stupidity and rudeness!
Letting crooks,theives,fellons,"Coruptos",y "Brutos",get away with their offenses,is just yet ANOTHER example of no personal responsibility in this "Culture"!
If people are NEVER held responsible for what they do,they do the "worst!"
Just spend a few hours here in the DR,you will soon see what I mean!
It's not like my "Supermarket Experience" was just a "Once-In-A-Lifetime" event here,it happens ALL THE TIME!!!!!
Not just to me,but to all of us,EVERYDAY!!!!!
They,cut in line,block the aisles and roads,are "L-O-U-D",day,AND NIGHT,drive with Xenon headligths on "High Beam",throw trash everywhere,polute the environment,spit,pi$$,and even "$hit",where ever,and when ever THEY feel like it!
Absolutely NO Personal,or even communal responsibility!!!
Thank GOD the women are pretty,cheap,'GOOD',and available,other wise,except for the nice weather,there would be no reason to live here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I had this the other day at the pharmacia when the two girls at the cash register were having their ALL important discussion while making my change
.. I did my MIRA,, and explained that she should make my change FIRST and then talk to her friend afterwards..
So then she gave me the LOOK
and handed me back 1200 pesos change from my 500 pesos!

Now, normally, I would most absolutely certainly tell the clerk that she had made a mistake and had back the extra.

But this time.. mostly because of the LOOK,,

I decided that I would let the chica have her cash drawer come out short at the end of the day and MAYBE learn a lesson...

i know

whistling up wind

I call that an "A-hole tax" and move forward. LOL Karma is a bit$h.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
The reason I'm giving thumbs down for some of these posts is because messages they're saying "I hope they will deduct it from her salary" and I don't believe that that is the right punishment. (LOL at punishment by the way :ermm:)

Let's face it, hence this topic.. this country is in many ways soooo different from what we're used to. And by the way of reading all of this, everybody here is getting fed up with these kind of manners. But for the Dominicans it's just a way of life.

I'm only trying to say that anger only takes me to a certain place, not the place that I hope just because someone doesn't pay me attention that person should pay money for their mistakes because that is what I understand what y'all are saying.

Let's face it, for "us" 1000 pesos is nothing (don't comment on me being taca?o please :p) but for them.. for them it could be a life changing situation.

I ain't gonna sit here acting like I'm a saint, telling y'all should let them know that they gave too much money back, hahahahahell no! But I simply trying to say, you don't wish death upon them.. the same way you don't have to wish they have to really pay money for their mistakes.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The reason I'm giving thumbs down for some of these posts is because messages they're saying "I hope they will deduct it from her salary" and I don't believe that that is the right punishment. (LOL at punishment by the way :ermm:)

I can see where you are coming from, but as far as getting a point across there is no better reminder than financial and no better reminder to keep her mind on the job rather than talking through a customer. Consider it tough love or she may one day give away more than she earns in that week and go home with nothing.

Let's face it, for "us" 1000 pesos is nothing (don't comment on me being taca?o please :p)
It hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it but since you have............................

Just kidding:bunny:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We are not talking about pulling out her fingernails here,which were false,by the way!
Just giving her an "Economic Dope Slap" to get her attention.

A farmer was having trouble with his mule.
He would say "Forward",but the mule just stood there.
He couldn't plow,or plant his crops.
He called a fellow farmer,known for his well behaved mules.
The other farmer came over to help.
The mule owner showed his mule.
He said "Forward",again nothing.
The visiting farmer asked for a shovel.
He went to the front of the mule,and told the mule's owner to give the command "Forward"
As the farmer said "Forward" the visiting farmer hit the mule over the head as hard as he could with the shovel.
The mule lurched "forward"!
The owner was pleased.
He asked if hitting the mule with the shovel made him move forward???
"Naw",said the other farmer,"It just makes him pay attention!"
Any "analogys" you care to make are valid!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Nothing in life is for free and in everybody's life will come the day that one has to pay the piper.
It was her turn to pay for her stupidity, I'm pretty sure that wasn't only time she had done this but hopefully it will be the last time.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Intercultural Exchange

... this country is in many ways soooo different from what we're used to. (...) But for the Dominicans it's just a way of life.

I did not come here as a missionary in order to change the way of life here ( I get along with that quite well.)
But I do believe in intercultural experience and intercultural learning... ;)

So far I have learned that almost all Dominicans are (or behave like) millionaires and thus do not need my money and those who take it hardly ever say "gracias". :cheeky:
I can live with that.

Whether Dominicans have learned something from me I do not know.

But I think there is nothing wrong in letting people here know that in other parts of the world there is politeness, gratefulness, courtesy, work ethics and responsibility.

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I went to visit Danny Thomas,and his "Uncle Tahnoose"!
When we got back to Toledo,we went and "Pigged Out",at "Tony Packos"
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaahm,Yaaaaaaaaaaahm"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Let's face it, hence this topic.. this country is in many ways soooo different from what we're used to. And by the way of reading all of this, everybody here is getting fed up with these kind of manners. But for the Dominicans it's just a way of life.

I'm only trying to say that anger only takes me to a certain place, not the place that I hope just because someone doesn't pay me attention that person should pay money for their mistakes because that is what I understand what y'all are saying.

Let's face it, for "us" 1000 pesos is nothing (don't comment on me being taca?o please :p) but for them.. for them it could be a life changing situation.

I ain't gonna sit here acting like I'm a saint, telling y'all should let them know that they gave too much money back, hahahahahell no! But I simply trying to say, you don't wish death upon them.. the same way you don't have to wish they have to really pay money for their mistakes.

It is true that this place is really different. And it is true that on some level Dominicans have much better mannars and on other levels much worse.. as CC pointed out... hard to fathom. I am not talking about MANNARs. I am not talking about PAYING ATTENTION to ME. As if this is some sort of personal thing. I am talking about doing one's job properly. As in customer service.

Now I can understand this is not the clerk's fault because I have had the same issue with this pharmacia time and again with different chicas at the register.. it is clearly NOT in the training program because it is obviously part of the culture that

we are all just here having a sorta of a fiesta here

because we do not a single thing to do today expect go to the pharmacia for this one thing and then maybe go to the salon and have our nails done..

so we might as well just hang out here and chat...

ok..

But I am in center of Gazcue. Not Matas de Farfan. The place has lots and lots of tourists. And I am most clearly a gringa. Will never pass for anything else.

So in a land of high unemployment.. at least do your employees the service of training them on the proper way to run a cash register.. then ok.. if there are no CUSTOMERS waiting.. you can have a chat up with the girl friend.

And yes, believe me, I know how much !000 pesos is to her. Doubt she makes 7000 a month.

And yes, she should pay for her mistakes.

Why should she not?

If she cannot do her job properly, pass it on to someone who will take it more seriously.

1000an

Nov 28, 2007
She will never connect the 2 things together anyway. I mean the missing 1000 pesos and her bad behaviour.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I had this the other day at the pharmacia when the two girls at the cash register were having their ALL important discussion while making my change
.. I did my MIRA,, and explained that she should make my change FIRST and then talk to her friend afterwards..
So then she gave me the LOOK
and handed me back 1200 pesos change from my 500 pesos!

Now, normally, I would most absolutely certainly tell the clerk that she had made a mistake and had back the extra.

But this time.. mostly because of the LOOK,,

I decided that I would let the chica have her cash drawer come out short at the end of the day and MAYBE learn a lesson...

i know

whistling up wind
Usually I never disagree with any of your post because you have a lot of insight on many topics, but this one I do not think you handle it correctly. Make no mistake the lady was dead wrong how she treated you. Its one thing if you were at home or on you way home when you notice the 1000RD, but you notice right there. You stole that money MORALLY.

Jobs are very HARD to come by in the DR for this person who might have lost her job on a mistake you had the power to correct would EAT me up if it was I in that store.

I know this is a old saying, but it applys here "2 wrongs don't make a right" The lady deserved to reprimaned, not to lose her job over that incident.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Usually I never disagree with any of your post because you have a lot of insight on many topics, but this one I do not think you handle it correctly. Make no mistake the lady was dead wrong how she treated you. Its one thing if you were at home or on you way home when you notice the 1000RD, but you notice right there. You stole that money MORALLY.

Jobs are very HARD to come by in the DR for this person who might have lost her job on a mistake
you had the power to correct would EAT me up if it was I in that store.

I know this is a old saying, but it applys here "2 wrongs don't make a right" The lady deserved to reprimaned, not to lose her job over that incident.

Life is a bitch and if she has lost her job then hopefully somebody will take her place who's worthy of it. I reckon you never ran a company?

Status
Not open for further replies.