What is with dom-yorks and trying to be extra-dominican?

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
Now I actually lived back home for eleven years and i dont feel the need to put 20 flag and stickers on my car,listen to bachata all day,talk loud,BAD,slang filled spanish all day and night and generally act like a greaseball tiguere de patio.

Why do dominicans BORN in the states or left at sixteen and seventeen years old feel the need to be extra proud and over the top with the dominicanisms?

They look so freaking stupid especially in the heights.

I can get the old timers in their 30's and beyond but someone younger than that and has been here for more than 3 years is completley ridicolous.

Those same people will proclaim who is "a dominicano de verdad y quien no lo es" but will be quick to say they dont date dominican men/women,havent been to d.r in six years and have no clue about current events in the country infront of even strangers.

Most of us are married and have kids with puerto ricans anyways.We're so Dominican yet we dont even date eachother anymore.

What is the point?You cant live in two countries at once and we all know dominicans back home dont like those who were raised overseas.

When when will drop this tigueraje culture in new york?deja el barrio en el barrio tamo en neuva york,papa.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Take this post seriously!

Read this dude's other post's. He is on something 24/7.:laugh:

You must run, not walk, if you want to have a couple of chuckles and read these posts as suggested. Watch out you don't--- your pants.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
ny dominicans

perhaps the dominicans in NY who are patriotic feel that there is more to life then NY and therefore boast of their nationality as a way of saying that NY is not the be all end all.

many immigrants / people who live between two worlds, search for something to ground them.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
LOL...guys, I sort of feel what the poster said is somewhat true...not to offend anybody but Washington Heights is a very very culturally rich neighborhood and sometimes people [of ALL ethnic backgrounds] go a bit overboard with their patriotism. now it is not BAD to love one's country but in all seriousness at least show and represent with decency and not with obscenities. I think it would be better if the generations in the US were more up to date with their country's politics [both US and DR/PR/wherever home may be], educate yourself with current events...maybe i'm just getting old [or older] but I never over did it with music, slang or what have you....though i did wrap a large flag on me as a cape once in college....LOL

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yeah me too sorta understand.....i say almost the same things about Puertoricans, 'why do they have to wear the flag in every single piece of clothing they wear, especially around the parade time".....you know they have strollers, hats, shirts, sneakers, pens, towels, anything that you can think off with the flag......and some Dominicans are trying to catch up.......why does anyone going to the DR have to wear on the plane a Flag tshirt a flag cap and flag beeds and flag sneakers??????????? why why why

...................You already going to the DR, what is the need for that??????

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yeah me too sorta understand.....i say almost the same things about Puertoricans, 'why do they have to wear the flag in every single piece of clothing they wear, especially around the parade time".....you know they have strollers, hats, shirts, sneakers, pens, towels, anything that you can think off with the flag......and some Dominicans are trying to catch up.......why does anyone going to the DR have to wear on the plane a Flag tshirt a flag cap and flag beeds and flag sneakers??????????? why why why

...................You already going to the DR, what is the need for that??????
Over in East Williamsburg/Bushwick area a store selling all this crap opened about 2 years ago. At first I thought it was just for the parade. Boy, was I wrong. Stayed open and sells this stuff year round.
john

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Look at it like this...

For those that don't understand look at it like this. Americans and other nationalities do the same thing when they are not in the US. Sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly. I mean Americans in France, and I have seen this, will go to American bars and hang flags and do all these same things. Though like I said, sometimes subtly and sometimes, not so subtly.

You can look at the example of Chinese Dominicans here in the DR or any transplanted cultural group in any foreign country around, its a way to feel connected to something bigger than themselves. It also poses the question of identity. For some, in a new country, they don't feel connected to the culture at large so they try to grab on to what they know and as a defense mechanism become "more proud" of their heritage and culture.

Consider this, the difference in patriotism between Dominicans on the island and those in the US is that why would a Dominican on the island wave a flag? When you are surrounded by your culture there is no need to be tied to it. But for those who live abroad they make that special effort to stay connected to that one thing that has been a constant in their lives: their culture.

How does this translate into what was posted by the OP? Its called a commodification of cultures, where you take small things that best embody a culture and "sell" that. Flags are the quintessential example of that, so why not wave the flags around?

One final perspective is the following, and it deals with the younger generations of Dominicans. I will relate it back to the issue of identity. For many first and second generation Dominicans, and other cultural enclaves there has been this move towards rejecting the overall American anglo-saxon culture becasuse it has A) rejected them and B) it has never been "cool" to be "white." I didn't make the second comment to insult, but anyone who has grown up in an urban environment, even in some urban schools, knows the subtle reference I am making here. (If you read some of the literature regarding the development of children in urban school systems this has been one of the points that social psychologists have pointed to as a reason for the lack luster performance of some students.)

Even in the DR, Dominicans differentiate "gringos" and that puts them into a different category. I mean, when I first got here I was called a "bolsa" just for the simple fact that I was born in the US, i.e I was a silly "gringo." So who wants to be called a "bolsa?" No one, so some, in order to avoid this, become more Dominican.

So how does this translate into "over the top Dominicanism?" Well, youth will reject the home culture because it has never been appealing to be a "gringo" and also because they find themselves in a cultural void, considering that they are now a "cultural hybrid." Many Dominicans born in the US have no way of determining which "group" they can be a part of so they choose the one group which they can easily assimilate too and that means cheering for the DR (or whatever other culture) instead of the home culture.

This example has been refletced, for example, in Europe, and specifically in communities with large Muslim populations. You look at the riots in France last year and this is a reflcteion of this fact and to a degree can also be seen in how first and second generation Muslims in Europe are more "extreme" in their support of their parents culture and more "extreme" in their rejection of the home culture.

In the end you must realize that all people will celebrate their cultures in different ways. Some Dominicans will wave flags and play music and etc etc etc and some Dominicans will quietly walk by you down the street and you would never know they were Dominicans. Remember that just because you are LOUD doesn't make you PROUD and some of the PROUDEST Dominicans aren't the LOUDEST.

Just a perspective...

Mr. Lu

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
When it comes to having an impact on the world at large the Black or Brown skinned people are seriously under represented. (Why) However, no I am not offended by being called a Gringo its a put down of envy and born of a feeling of inferiority quite unlike being called a "Chino" which here is niether envious of a recognition intellect and accomplishment.

What you are describing Mr Lu is not Patriotism as such its more a fear of integration and a feeling of isolation. "Birds of a feather do tend to flock together"
I have travelled widely and over many years, I have seen the flag waving and cultural ghetto's around the world most are a means of defense and a search for identity in what is fast becoming an global village. Every nation on this planet has a Chinese community normally affectionately called China Town but you won't find many White Anglo Saxons or even Black North Americans living there with them.

I know of many Dominicans in New York some who have lived over 40 years in the USA and never bothered to learn English my wifes mother is one to be exact.

Lack luster performance comes from lack of ambition and lack of support breakdown of families...too many dead beat fathers unemployed and living of the women who are more socially responsible. It happens even in totally black countries and communities ask any Haitian here how he feels and why he doesn't have a Masters degree in Biophysics. It's more apparent when you know or feel you are different and can't or wont integrate you fall back into the stereotype and even over egg the pudding in your efforts to hold onto what you know....even if its not actually correct.

Racism and protectionism are fuels for this kind of behaviour. Never been cool to be a Gringo? look in most teenage boy's bedrooms in the States and you will not have to look long to find the white iconic semi nude supermodel or music artist on the wall along with a car or motorbike maybe a sporting hero.

Its never been cool to be educated and never been cool to excell at acadmics even in the white community. However not one person would reject the opportunity to be Bill Gates for the day?

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
I dont remember who said it but its true and very much so. When you are feeling rejected or suppressed fall back on the flag and wrap it around you. It's easy to blame someone else for your own failings and even easier if your foe is another colour or race.

Skippy1

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
I thought I was speaking Chinese.

Doesnt suprise me though,Dominicans never wanna hear criticism epsecially when it comes to issues like these.

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
Basically Skippy1 summed it up in that last post.

Alot of us try to cover up the sun with our fingers,but the truth is dominican children in USA are underacheivers and we have one of the poorest and most segregated societies in america.

Mainly because of what I have pointed out:the reluctance to intregrate and adapt to a host countries standards of success and culture.

How many dominicans drop out of school,just because they got a job as a receptionist or an airlines worker.Like those 500 dollars after taxes can carry you through life.

Its the parents not really holding them up to any real standards.And in our case,already low standards and cultural appreciation for education.

"Get some money to get a house back home,get a young girl from the barrio and get her pregnant and visit 3 times a year until i raise 40,000 in cash to start a 'business'."

Children's wellbeing,continuing education,adapting to life in the states,be damned.

^thats the dominican mentality.At least for most dominican,even some US-born.

Thats why we're among the poorest here and with the highest deportation rate.

But whatever.

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
Mr.Lu but what about other minorities here in america?Have you ever spoken to a Cuban born here?

Even the ones that arent white,they are very integrated,and proud and happy to be here at the same time speaking fluent spanish and having a rough understanding of their parents culture.

Cubans,Koreans,Indians,Jews,Nigerians,Jamaicans,etc.These are all people of "color" so to speak and for the most part have adapted to life here in a good way.

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
If you're trolling, try harder. You'll get it eventually. Also, maybe CT is different, but all the Dominicans (now citizens of the US) that I know/met aren't like that.

The vast majority are,and I am a US born/DR-bred dominican from North Jersey.

I grew up visiting relatives in the Heights and in Newark or Philly on weekends.

Even the US born tend to be like that which is unbeleivable to me.I know alot of people back home who dont even drink local beers or watch local TV,they'd look at you cross eyed for even mentionting it and tell you to drop the "choperia".

All of a sudden they're here and they cry if they miss an Aventura concert.

Please.

Its just irrational pride and its sorta backwards thinking.

Im not doubting alot are genuninley homesick but cmon.The thing that really ****es me off is the half and halfers and the kids who barley know spanish and have cornrows and doorags on talking about "whos a real dominican".

Cmon man.

If you dont see most Dom-Yorks are ignorant,you dont have eyes.And I used to get mad when Native Dominicans used to make fun of us,but now I understand.