What's your frustration?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
#2. Homeless children is the greater frustration.

This is your business so you need electricidad to run it. But there is no shortage of power, it is just unreliable...on purpose.

I'm going to break my own rule here :)

RacerX. How do homeless children directly effect you?

I'm sure that you have been directly effected and frustrated many more times by unreliable power than seeing homeless kids. Yes?

I think some of you are missing the point here or I'm not getting my message across very well. Maybe both :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

I'm sure that you have been directly effected and frustrated many more times by unreliable power than seeing homeless kids. Yes?

I think some of you are missing the point here or I'm not getting my message across very well. Maybe both :)

Listen Rob, I understand your point. You run an Internet business. You NEED reliable electricity to do your thing. No Luz, no Biz. I get it. As well as the other folks who run sasterias and colmados and lavanderias, agencias de seguro, y empresas informatica also. We all need power.

Now the street urchins do affect me directly because its very hard to entertain(not impossible) if every where you go there are there are little children panhandling or begging for food. You go to Restaurant Ole in Santiago and you got the kids reaching through the dang bushes begging for a bite to eat. I m over there at the Regional Urban Hospital on 27 de Febrero and this little(must be about 5 or 6 year old) Haitian girl is walking through traffic begging for 1 peso. I didnt see any parents. If not for the street vendor who sold me a pair of shoes I didnt see any adult express concern for this little girl. And there she is walking amongst Chevy Avalanches, Isuzu Troopers and Toyota Sequoias. The girl's head barely makes it above the running boards on the side of the cars.

Like you said...I didnt want to get too far into this, but I have a 6 year old son and it gets you were you dont want to think about things when you see a child out there doing that. If one of them cars were to hit her and injure her seriously, she d be asss out left to die in some alley alone because there is no one to pay the bill or even offer to, EVEN THOUGH, we are right in front of the damn hospital!

Now, am I affected directly? I dont know...they dont come home with me BUT you(well not YOU who depends on it, the general You) can have limited electricity and invest in your children(all of them Haitian and Dominican) and have a more egalitarian society than you could by having full-time, 100% power and abandoning them all(and then wonder why everyone in the country is incompetent, egocentric and irresponsible). I m just saying...is all. It is embarrassing as a human BEING SEEING what other humans are DOING.

This is also why I m heavy on the jokes all the time.

Reactions: beeza and greydread

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
as reply to the previous post... the little girl has a brother, a little older, and very persistent in hanging onto your car... the mother is there as well... but nevertheless, yes, heartbreaking...

my biggest complaint? The constant littering (also in front of our house) and the excessive use of styrofoam and the habit of throwing it everywhere when they are finished with it...

second frustration: wondering why expats live here when they moan about everything...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

If it's permitted to write more than one line now...RacerX is directly affected because he has a big heart and is sensitive. I'm guessing but for him his feelings are more important than his bottom line. Plus he doesn't live here (I don't think) so hasn't become as accustomed as those of us who have learned what to do with our own guilt feelings.

I'm actually not affected by power outtages at all. We have an inverter & a generator & money to fuel it. So we have our work around for blackouts. Haven't yet found a work around to deal with all the poverty in the DR. Other than to do the little bit which I can.

Is that what you meant, RacerX?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So we have our work around for blackouts. Haven't yet found a work around to deal with all the poverty in the DR. Other than to do the little bit which I can.
Perfectly put.

We were frustrated by the growing insecurity, the stress, the pollution, the traffic and the blackouts in SD - so we found a solution: to move to Punta Cana. As an individual, and even more so as a foreigner, I can't do much about the big issues that frustrate me about the DR - corruption, impunity, injustice, poverty, narcotrafficking, lack of education and so on - which in any case are the causes behind the things that affect us directly.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Expats who preach to Dominicans what's wrong with and how to run their country.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
What would personally and directly frustrate you more?

1) Lack of electricity at times?
2) Homeless children?

Make a choice, 1 or 2, without any dialogue if that's possible.

Can you see the point I'm making? Up until now, I think only a handful have posted the "#1 frustration" that is relative to the DR, that directly effects them.

Please keep it to one liners without ANY dialogue attached.

I can suffer a little personal inconvenience.

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010
I cannot stand it when the electricity goes off when I am sleeping. I need the fan to sleep and blow away the mosquitos. Mosquiteros don't work much when you get in and out of the bed during the night to go to the bathroom or get a drink. I try to slide underneath the net and barely make an opening, but the mosquitos seem to always find a way in. To my dismay, the mosquitos love my blood, tengo sangre dulce.