When is self-defense called murder?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Attacker, attacker tell me are you incapacitated ?????????When you are sure that the attacker is going to kill you it is called self defense
Apparently it is impossible for you to imagine ever being able to tell that someone has been incapacitated.
Has it ever occurred to you that someone who has been knocked unconsious might not be able to talk to you?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Apparently it is impossible for you to imagine ever being able to tell that someone has been incapacitated.
Has it ever occurred to you that someone who has been knocked unconsious might not be able to talk to you?
You willing to take a chance he's not faking?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
You willing to take a chance he's not faking?
It would depend on the circumstances and I would tend to err on the side of caution but to me that does not mean going psycho caveman of a motionless body.

Did the person go down dazed by a jab or are they flat out on the back from a kick in the face or a baseball bat to the side of the head?

Life is not just black or white for me.

I can`t comment on this particular case as I was not witness to it, unlike some people here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It would depend on the circumstances and I would tend to err on the side of caution but to me that does not mean going psycho caveman of a motionless body.

Did the person go down dazed by a jab or are they flat out on the back from a kick in the face or a baseball bat to the side of the head?

I can`t comment on this particular case as I was not witness to it, unlike some people here.

Are you serious? Do you think you have time to evaluate things? I have been there, and I could tell you if you do not take care of business you might be out of business permanently.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Is he really inconscious ??

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
That looks like a very odd way to tie someone up just to restrain him.
I would tie the hands together, the feet together, and the body to a post.
That guy looks like he may have been strung up to be tried, convicted, and punished.

Thought you cannot comment on this particular case

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Are you serious? Do you think you have time to evaluate things? I have been there, and I could tell you if you do not take care of business you might be out of business permanently.
I am inclined to cut the old guy a lot of slack and he would be justified to do anything to stop the alleged attack including blowing the guy`s head off.
What part of this is so difficult for you to comprehend?

I never claimed that one must try to gently subdue an attacker.
I am saying that self defence doesn`t give the victim a free pass to execute an assailant who is no longer a threat.

Let`s see if the old man`s story passes the smell test.
Isn`t it possible that the story is complete BS?
Maybe these two have some unpleasant history?
What if the old man wasn`t alone and wasn`t even attacked?
What if the alleged fight happened in the house and the fatal blows came from a hammer, machete, and wood that were out back where the guy was strung up?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

You've obviously never been confronted with an actual life-and-death situation.

I have: 2 am, being awakened by an intruder in our bedroom. I documented such on this forum.

I assure you clear thinking doesn't happen. Primordial brain-stem fight-or-flee impulses do.

The Difference Between Liberals, Conservatives and Texans

Question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock .40 and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have an appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun and what kind of message does this send to society and my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me or would he just be content to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days to try to come to a conclusion.

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Texan's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click... (sounds of reloading).

Wife: "Sweetheart, he looks like he's still moving, what do you kids think?"

Son: "Mom's right Dad, I saw it too..." BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.

Daughter: "Nice group, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips?"
I'd most likely be a Texan...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you think that pretending to be unconscious is a good strategy in a fight, I hope you don`t ever have to fight or have anybody counting on you to back them up.
I have never picked a physical fight. And I've never lost one.

Ask the LEO's or combat veterans here if faking unconsciousness or even death is ever a strategery in a conflict.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'd like to see street floggings brought back. 10 - 15 years ago they used to have such things if the neighbourhood caught a thief, they would spend the entire day being beaten with electrical cable to within an inch of life, then if the family wanted to collect them they could, if not,then they would go suffer in jail. I don't see or hear of this justice much anymore

Isn't that just a tad uncivilised? I think you would prefer to live in medieval times or some extreme fundamentalist Muslim country.

Anyway, the older guy had to be arrested, because he killed someone but I very much doubt he will be convicted of anything.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If the newspaper report is correct then I would find the old guy's story hard to believe. He apparently was confronted by not one, but two younger guys. A fight ensues and he ends up killing one while the other flees. There are some tough old guys (my grandpa is one) who can beat a younger guy, but beating up TWO guys? and what's up with the Chilena found at the scene? Who does it belong to? Bottom line is more info is needed on this as to what exactly happened...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
If the newspaper report is correct then I would find the old guy's story hard to believe. He apparently was confronted by not one, but two younger guys. A fight ensues and he ends up killing one while the other flees. There are some tough old guys (my grandpa is one) who can beat a younger guy, but beating up TWO guys? and what's up with the Chilena found at the scene? Who does it belong to? Bottom line is more info is needed on this as to what exactly happened...
The old man could be a hero or he could be a lying murderer.
I was not there, am not involved with the investigation, nor am I psychic so I would not presume to know.
The alleged story and the way the deceased was strung up by the ankles seem like red flags to me warranting a thorough investigation.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
"he may have been" does not equate `he was`.

Originally Posted by Malibook

That guy looks like he may have been strung up to be tried, convicted, and punished

That's a comment

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Originally Posted by Malibook

That guy looks like he may have been strung up to be tried, convicted, and punished

That's a comment
Yes you are right.
I`m sorry and I should have been more specific for you.
I meant that I would not be a presumptuous idiot and present baseless opinions as facts.
However, I am open to exploring details and other potential realities.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It is also a good strategy when being attacked by a bear but what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
Like I said, you have NO idea what it's like to be afraid for your life in an attack from an "I Experience" perspective.

Your scholarly hypothetical ponderings of "what would be the correct course of action" are therefore meaningless.

Even if trained, there is no guarantee of proper actions when the bullets fly.

And I hope that potential thieves understand they just might killed by their victim. Might alter their decision tree...

IMO, when you consciously choose to affect another's life or person, you' just voluntarily voided societal protections during the committing of that action.