When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
188,000 came into SDQ in July of last year.

How many is many? And how few is few?

I do not see SDQ receiving anywhere close to that number if they do re-open in July......perhaps 20% of that figure (37-38k).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Of course not, getting the same amount of passengers as last year, whatever the number is, unlikely for this summer...but I don't see SDQ as a ghost town when it opens :cool:

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
What is everyone talking about July 5th??? This link says on June 2nd the borders will open: https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/newsroom/coronavirus/
I have a flight booked for June 5th.
We have a flight booked for June 6th to Miami. However, I booked it after the lockdown date was announced but before the Pres came out with his 4 phases of reopening. I've spoken to American Airlines several times about our flight, & they swear it's still on the books as a go, but I honestly don't expect that to happen. the worse part is, they probably won't cancel it until a day or 2 before so I have to pack, clean out the groceries, etc on the VERY off chance it will go.

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
I actually just looked on Kayak.com for flights leaving Santo Domingo & the earliest that is now showing is June 6th. Wonder what day that will disappear? And as far as anything coming from the US, well, that's a joke too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I actually just looked on Kayak.com for flights leaving Santo Domingo & the earliest that is now showing is June 6th. Wonder what day that will disappear? And as far as anything coming from the US, well, that's a joke too.
Since the airports don't open, and only some of them will, to passenger traffic until July 1, you are very likely to be correct:

Reactions: Caonabo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I see JetBlu flights leaving almost every day starting tomorrow SDQ-JFK(?).

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
What makes you supremely informed and others you refer to ignorant?

The sole purpose of distancing is to manage the spread of the virus, so that hospitals can cope and treat and to diminish a sharp increase of deaths.
Ask yourself why cases and death rates are high in the US, UK, Russia and Brazil.
It should be clear that hospitals in NY, UK and Brazil were overwhelmed at the peak, Brazil and Russia are developing stories.
The virus does not know National borders.

Even Sweden without a lock down is far from reaching a 60 % heard immunity.
Estimates are that in late April that sampling and modelling data indicated that about 20% of Stockholm's population is already immune to the virus.

LATIN AMERICABrazil’s Nurses Are Dying as Covid-19 Overwhelms Hospitals
Medical staff lack equipment and are struggling against the coronavirus pandemic, as the government plays down the contagion wsj.com

"What makes you supremely informed and others you refer to ignorant?"

I believe the poster you question, jd426, has publicly stated within this web forum that he was diagnosed and recovered from Covid-19.
That works for me as far as being supremely informed, and quite possibly an expert on the matter at hand.
Our opinions may differ.

Reactions: bob saunders

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I doubt anybody will be leaving in early June....... just saying

A bit to go yet !! I fear

And I am itching to get out.... need the US to open to get me in !!
Cdn & RD citizen here
Honestly its not looking good with the US border. I have had to stay here and I do live here so have not looked at ferry flights to Europe. I want to go on a regular flight and I think it will have to be via the US. The Brazil travel ban is concerning and supposedly the US are looking at other Lat Am countries.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Honestly its not looking good with the US border. I have had to stay here and I do live here so have not looked at ferry flights to Europe. I want to go on a regular flight and I think it will have to be via the US. The Brazil travel ban is concerning and supposedly the US are looking at other Lat Am countries.

How is your overall quality of life right now?

flyboy9998

May 27, 2020
Miami
Hi all, my first post. I'm a commercial pilot. Here's some information I've gathered and I hope it helps!

- According to the NOTAM's (Notice to Airman) all airports are closed until May 31st at 11:59pm. Cargo and government flights are excluded. Unless an updated NOTAM is posted Dominican airspace will be open at midnight June 1st. Here's the link and it is updated daily https://aip.idac.gob.do/Datos/Aviso_NOTAM/AvisoNotamVigente.pdf

- I have a confirmed ticket on JetBlue from Ft Lauderdale to Santo Domingo for JUNE 1st, 2020. It's not a typo JUNE 1st. As of today, when I called Jetblue, I was told the flight is still good to go. If it goes I have no idea what will happen when I get there but I saw online they will let flight crews into the country so I'm hopeful my pilot credentials will get me through immigration.

- I have some friends that work inside the Puerto Plata airport and they said they are expecting flights on June 4th. If you check on www.aa.com they are selling flights from Miami to Puerto Plata starting on June 4th and everyday there after!

- Now, if you go to this website, which is the official tourist website for the DR it says borders will open on June 2nd. https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/newsroom/coronavirus/

I hope this summary helps in some way. I just read the President asked for another 25 days of emergency powers. So, who knows if that will affect anything but I am doing my very best to be on the first plane down. If/when I land I will update this post to let you all know I made it.

Safe travels!

Joel

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
What your link says :

Starting on May 20, the Dominican Republic will enter Phase 1 of the de-escalation process, with measures including:
Until June 2, the country’s borders will remain closed by land, sea and air, so all flights to and from Dominican Republic from said date and time will be suspended along with the arrival and departure of all cruises in all ports in the country. As of the date of this release, the official date of reopening of the country’s borders has not been confirmed. All Dominican passengers coming from abroad will be quarantined for two weeks.

Sorry, expect an cancellation on that flight:cry:
You just gotta love the double speak of the officials

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Hi all, my first post. I'm a commercial pilot. Here's some information I've gathered and I hope it helps!

- According to the NOTAM's (Notice to Airman) all airports are closed until May 31st at 11:59pm. Cargo and government flights are excluded. Unless an updated NOTAM is posted Dominican airspace will be open at midnight June 1st. Here's the link and it is updated daily https://aip.idac.gob.do/Datos/Aviso_NOTAM/AvisoNotamVigente.pdf

- I have a confirmed ticket on JetBlue from Ft Lauderdale to Santo Domingo for JUNE 1st, 2020. It's not a typo JUNE 1st. As of today, when I called Jetblue, I was told the flight is still good to go. If it goes I have no idea what will happen when I get there but I saw online they will let flight crews into the country so I'm hopeful my pilot credentials will get me through immigration.

- I have some friends that work inside the Puerto Plata airport and they said they are expecting flights on June 4th. If you check on www.aa.com they are selling flights from Miami to Puerto Plata starting on June 4th and everyday there after!

- Now, if you go to this website, which is the official tourist website for the DR it says borders will open on June 2nd. https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/newsroom/coronavirus/

I hope this summary helps in some way. I just read the President asked for another 25 days of emergency powers. So, who knows if that will affect anything but I am doing my very best to be on the first plane down. If/when I land I will update this post to let you all know I made it.

Safe travels!

Joel
Let us know please about residents allowed back in

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Let us know please about residents allowed back in
Just read both links. Your pilots notice doesn’t say borders are open June 1. Just says airports are closed to May 31. The other link says airports closed till May 31 but then almost immediately says the dates for opening the borders are not determined yet. Pretty much the double speak this place is known for

Reactions: windeguy

flyboy9998

May 27, 2020
Miami
Just read both links. Your pilots notice doesn’t say borders are open June 1. Just says airports are closed to May 31. The other link says airports closed till May 31 but then almost immediately says the dates for opening the borders are not determined yet. Pretty much the double speak this place is known for
Correct, the airports could open and the borders stay closed.. to me it wouldn't make sense but it's possible

Status
Not open for further replies.