When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
In some countries governments take a backseat to medical scientists, follow their advise and do not politicize the virus.
Of course all countries hope to strengthen their economies to provide tax revenues and individual incomes.

At the moment US travellers have limited options.
No travel to Canada, Unlikely into the EU, Australia, NZ.

Allowing US travellers into the DR in July would be a poor decision for the health of the DR.
If indeed allowed it will be solely for economic and political reasons, not based on reasons of scientific health research.

Of course one could take the stand that monetary income supersedes everything,
And with a world pop of 7.8 billion the world is overpopulated anyway, so that 100 million deaths would be a welcome reduction.

Regardless of what dreamers want, DR tourism will be nowhere near previous numbers in the next three years.
Mega AI resorts and tourism based enterprises will have to calculate their profit margins and financial feasibility for future survival.

It appears that many people still have not come to terms with the CV 19 reality and are engaging in wishful thinking.

Earth over populated is a fallacy. If you gave each person an acre of property they could fit in the state of Texas. Proper management and use is the problem. Just had to reply to that comment😊

Reactions: Conchman
Jan 9, 2004
Earth over populated is a fallacy. If you gave each person an acre of property they could fit in the state of Texas. Proper management and use is the problem. Just had to reply to that comment😊

Texas is big...........but not that big.

And this thread is veering off track.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Still off track

Texas covers a total area of 268,581 square miles (695,622 km). Ontario is considerably larger at 415,598 square miles: land = 917,741 km (354,342 square miles); plus water = 158,654 km (61,257 square miles). ... Texas is the second most populous state: 25.154 million.

We Cdns have always considered Texas a dwarf... a midget

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Texas is 268,597 sq. miles X 640 acres/sq. mi = 171,920,080 acres. That's well short of 6.7 billion and not a very good way of looking at it either.

Reactions: drstock

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Considering how much virus is around in the DR and the US, not sure that allowing Americans to travel to the DR is going to make much difference either way.

Reactions: Clandestino

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Considering how much virus is around in the DR and the US, not sure that allowing Americans to travel to the DR is going to make much difference either way.
That’s probably true but the media especially the US one will easily call it the Covid 19 holiday place for years to come if it gets out of control in the DR. In the US there are states with more cases/sick of Covid 19 and others are hardly affected but the DR will be painted with one brush after a few outbreaks in a couple of resorts. It could be the image years to come. Its the image the tourism industry will be thinking about mostly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are so wrong, its hilarious. NY just reported its lowest number since the pandemic began. Let that sink in. And the daily presser by the governor stopped 2 weeks ago.
I did not say I considered NY a hot bed. I said most people will consider NY a hot bed. Slight difference. By the way, I am originally from NY and I really do dislike the guy in charge there, but that is an irrelevant point now.

It will only take one person to restart an epidemic of this virus.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What I want to know now is WHERE IS the OP???? After all, we do have credible info a-k-a July 1st :unsure:

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
It's been raining pretty heavy all day here in Juan Dolio. Thunderstorms since the early am. No outdoor work on the property. No golf.
Tomorrow may be a better test case scenario for beach attendance, rather than today.
There were a lot of people in the water in some parts of Juan Dolio today & everyday

Reactions: MarJD

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There were a lot of people in the water in some parts of Juan Dolio today & everyday

There were some in the water today in Boca Chica and Andres. For about the last 3 or 4 days, the Andres surfers are back. I had not seen them since the March election. Very glad to see them back.

But like Juan Dolio, we had inclement weather. We need it so no complaints. Saw a few people outside of colmados drinking. Just a few on the beach. There were more last Sunday.

Reactions: MarJD

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Except that the health services would be totally swamped

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t want to get into the overpopulation issue but this is some good info. Its an illusion to think tourism can just go back to normal. Important still the international travel advisories and the US where most of flights are scheduled from actually has a travel advisory level 4 still I think.

Regardless wether countries open to international travel the decision will be the profitability for airlines,
All of which are struggling to survive some with government assistance as Lufthansa which is a major and previously profitable airline.

The determining factor for arrivals will be Airlines willing to fly to certain destinations and routes.

Reactions: aarhus

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Most foreigners with property here in RD have pools, or stay in accommodations with them. As of this time, it seems as if those will be the types of travelers returning in large numbers to begin with.

I don't know the percentage of foreign owners with pools.

However, foreign owners returning to their property are a minuscule percentage of total tourism.
It is mass tourism which provides significant revenues.
Precisely this mass tourism which helps the DR economy will not return in great numbers in the next years.

I made a decision not to return to my property till November 2022.
Fortunately I have family looking after the property.
Those who hope to derive income from hotel or condo rentals will have reduced incomes because of severely decreased demand.
As with all real estate one has to calculate what their carrying cost is.
Those financially stretched too much will have to make their decisions, as in all real estate purchases.

Maybe attractively low rental prices will induce some to travel to the DR destination.

Those fortunate to live in Canada US or the EU will have attractive options to stay in their own countries for vacations.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, La Entrada guard reluctantly lets me park car there by the cemetery to cycle but at first was nervous it would look to others like he had let someone use the beach, but I convinced him it was okay!

Diamante guard - I managed to talk my way into letting my girls have a 20 minute swim (no one else there). Who can resist a 5 year old saying "Por favor?" with big cute eyes?!

Gracias

July 1 will be the deciding day I think.... nobody seems sure of the situation

At la Entrada... the Boca has a guard - I know
The little cove at the fish store - Diamonte... has one too

and Sundays are notorious for enforcement

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If both the US and DR get on the EU list for no travel to the EU then maybe its just best for the DR to tie itself in with the US and maybe also with Canada and Lat Am countries.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I too want to know about the beaches

On another note

My JetBlue flight is July 3rd.... and was booked during the restricted fly period....
Empty down, passengers back
I wonder what will happen now... July 1st allowing incoming pax...
We'll see if the schedule changes
Beaches are closed still...nothing changed except curfew...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
People are getting the virus just like they get influenza and sadly some will die. those susceptible should take the correct precautions. The WORLD and world travel should not be shut down - Article about increased cases with decreased deaths in Fl. USA.

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
I did not say I considered NY a hot bed. I said most people will consider NY a hot bed. Slight difference. By the way, I am originally from NY and I really do dislike the guy in charge there, but that is an irrelevant point now.

It will only take one person to restart an epidemic of this virus.
Let me be clear.Nobody has considered NY a hotbed for over 2 weeks.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Except that the health services would be totally swamped
If both the US and DR get on the EU list for no travel to the EU then maybe its just best for the DR to tie itself in with the US and maybe also with Canada and Lat Am countries.
Canada has been averaging a little over 200 cases/day lately so we aren't worthy of being included in any group that has the US and the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.