Where would you live if you had your time over again?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I knew there would be a downside ...lol

You should go to the west coast of scotland for biting insects

Jan 3, 2003
if you don't like to live near Dominican People,
what the heck you are looking for in the Dominican Republic??
Mike

I read that too and started laughing. I guess its "junto pero no revuelto" what they mean because if even the "junto" bothers them, leave like I did and you won't have to deal with nosy Dominicans at all.

Queseto? That's like me saying I want to live in a place inside USA where I don't have to deal with Americans.... If that's the case I should be deported.

You killed me with that EXTREME, LOL. You're one funny dude,LOL!!!!!!

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Rio San Juan

IMO this is the best place I have seen in the DR. Before I'm jumped; I have not seen the whole island.

But the Rio San Juan area is great because it's where mountains meet the ocean with the most beautiful farmland I have seen. Not sure about the power or other amenities.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of countryside here is a picture of the typical countryside around Villa Trina Moca (from Yaniris Lopez photo blog):

VILLA+TRINA+01.JPG

I used to think that other areas like the Smokey Mountains or the Apls were more beautiful but I've become very fond of the Dominican landscapes. Check out the link to the aforementioned photo blog for pictures of quaint areas all over the DR, you won't be disappointed.

http://yanirislopez.blogspot.com/

Reactions: Lucille

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of Mao and mosquitos, here in Santiago they can get bad especially after it rains a lot. However, it is mostly in the early evening so one can plan accordingly. Also, we have screens in our house so we hardly ever notice them. We might have one or two in the house a couple of times a week and they always seem to find our youngest daughter.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks for that, Chip, that's the DR scenery I know and love. It really is even more gorgeous in reality, isn't it? I remember when I first came, the thing which impressed me the most was how green it was. Lovely.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I thought this was a ridiculous statement:

i want to somewhere where neighbours do not say hello to each other, hell, where they do not know each other at all!

...until I read this:

I agree, I would like a place in the DR where I don't have to deal with Dominicans.

I'd respectfully submit that if your idea of happiness is expecting Dominicans who are, by their upbringing, a very social people to either 1) ignore you as if you were some jerk walking down 5th Avenue or 2) disappear altogether, eliminating the nasty problems of Dominicans in the Dominican Republic, perhaps, just perhaps

YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY

dv8, people have said what a great person you are and all, but after those comments, even you've got to see how disrespectful that is. Dominicans are all about family and neighborhood, and if you hate the fact that these people have taken an interest in you, a foreigner living in their country, then whose problem is it, really?

rfp, nothing good or productive will come out of isolating yourself from Dominicans. You're in their country. You can't get away from them.

And that's a very good thing.

Perhaps you need to make new friends, or take a long look in the mirror (when dv8 is done with it) to discover what may be wrong with you, and not necessarily your surroundings.

DR without Dominicans is like any island, anywhere. It's the Dominicans that make it what it is.

Geez.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
santiago or santo domingo only. i am a city girl and campo towns like puerto plata, not to mention anything smaller, are just not for me.
i want to somewhere where neighbours do not say hello to each other, hell, where they do not know each other at all! somewhere with shops and restaurants. somewhere where i could pick up fencing again and maybe do something fun like archery. somewhere with less pssssts. some area with houses surrounded by high walls so no one can look in. i do not care much for the beach but pool would be nice. and a garden, i'd trade square meters of construction for square meters of grass. somewhere close to the airport so i can get out of DR easily.

dv8: I have the perfect place for you...lol...
"Los Cerros de Gurabo 111 in Santiago"

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
OK Lucy, I'm either stumped or stupid, or both..... what is that address???

It is not the address, it is the place.
Los Cerros de Gurabo 111 is a place in Santiago where you don't see your neighbors at all...:eek:
I love to have neighbors like in Villa Olga or Reparto Universitario...;)
and I love visitors as well...
I am very friendly....:cheeky:

Reactions: Bronxboy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Los Cerros de Gurabo 111 is a place in Santiago where you don't see your neighbors at all...
Yes some people build big fens to keep their privacy, Ex: "Felix Garcia" Pte. of Envases Antillanos, La Fabril SA and other manufacturer Dom. companies. This guy paid over a million Dollars just to build the one around his house.

JJ

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I used to think that other areas like the Smokey Mountains or the Apls were more beautiful but I've become very fond of the Dominican landscapes.

Very true, Chip. I used to think the Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC ride thru the Smokies was quite something. Having not been there myself in 10 yrs, I took a Dominican friend & was amazed at how I felt it didn't come close to the mountains in DR for beauty and scenery. Not to mention, here I can pull over anywhere to take a photo as opposed to having to try to squeeze into a parking space at some overlook chosen by the National Forest Service.

Ultimately, my friend wasn't real impressed by the mountains but he still talks about seeing bear cubs and wanting some more good blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

Taking another Dominican friend to the Cracker Barrel in Alabama was quite the experience, too. He was scared he was going to by lynched... but he's a little dramatic anyway.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I will see the difference tomorrow between the American and Dominican mountain as we are heading to Ashe ville NC tomorrow very early in the morning, our first stop will be a for Dominican breakfast (mangu con Huevos and salami) at my Dominican friend's house who are coming with us.

I'll have some pictures to post....

JJ