Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Its not even the vacationing part. I have always criticized the likes of Oprah. She does plenty of good, including the all girls school for poor children in South Africa. The thing is that in order to get from the USA to South Africa, its very possible that a person has to fly at 30,000 feet over Haiti, if not close to it. That school should had been built in Haiti, not South Africa. The leading African Americans when investing their charity abroad it appears are mainly going to Africa. Haiti is right there, on the backyard of these people and they simply ignore it in favor of Accra or Johannesburg. There is nothing wrong being charitable to Africa, but when there's a mini-Africa close to you, what is Africa doing way ahead of Haiti as a destination of your charity? Instead of heading to Cape Town or to Lagos, you should be heading to Port-au-Prince.

It s their money, they should do what they want with it, their choice.

The same way DR has the choice despite sharing the same island.

Most leading Afro-Americans spent their money in charity at home. Providing scholarships for inner city kids and the likes.

Oprah is not your everyday African American and the school was a failure.

Reactions: Auryn

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It s their money, they should be able to do what they want with it, their choice.
Even the African Union wiggled out of admitting them! I agree with the before statements about AA's charity could be used closer to home, no that's not the homeland. screw gates and the root.

African Union should admit Haiti based on which criteria? I am waiting.

Because European Union has not admitted Australia last time I check.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you are unwilling to see afram hypocrisy regarding this, it is your problem, not mine. That being said, it doesnt take away from what NanSanPedro said about them being a public to whom the country could be sold to.
You've totally misinterpreted what I said and maybe I misinterpreted yours(?). Read my other posts.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
To put it more succinctly and in more contemporaneous terms, cavok, Haiti is to the afram intelligentsia/educated classes, a species of "real life Wakanda",
Haiti is a cesspool with a broken education system.
Dominican schools are full of Haitian children for this
very same reason.

Reactions: melphis and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
That place would burn through Oprah's money and 10 others just like her in a week. The only difference it would make is the top officials would be drinking higher end liquor for a while

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't know if you all recall, but a few years ago CARICOM was whining and moaning that the DR should do more for the Haitian's, primarily allow more immigration.
One of the few things Danillio and his cohorts got right was to tell the other members of CARICOM that if they care so much about Haiti, how many Haitians do you want and is Tuesday OK for the first of several boat loads. That pretty much shut them up and ended the discussion.
It is not and never should be a Dominican problem.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Haiti is a cesspool with a broken education system.
Dominican schools are full of Haitian children for this
very same reason.

I have never claimed anything different. That said, this unfortunate status quo of that country doesn't stop prog/liberaldom in developed countries from celebrating them or their revolution as the second coming of Christ, so to speak. The fact that outfits like Jacobin Magazine use Toussaint as an avatar should tell you all you need to know about it.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I don't know if you all recall, but a few years ago CARICOM was whining and moaning that the DR should do more for the Haitian's, primarily allow more immigration.
One of the few things Danillio and his cohorts got right was to tell the other members of CARICOM that if they care so much about Haiti, how many Haitians do you want and is Tuesday OK for the first of several boat loads. That pretty much shut them up and ended the discussion.
It is not and never should be a Dominican problem.

☝ See what I am telling you, CristoRey and cavok? They get lionized despite their position now among the wretched of the earth, to borrow a commonly used Fanonism.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
My point is, things will remain the same as long as a good chunk of the mainstream in developed countries (specially in this hemisphere) act as if there was nothing wrong with how things are run on that part of the island (more often than not due to ideological reasons, i.e. aframs, liberals and other adjacent anti-colonialists), while the other chunk of said mainstream prefers to avert their eyes and wash up their hands about the matter.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My point is, things will remain the same as long as a good chunk of the mainstream in developed countries (specially in this hemisphere) act as if there was nothing wrong with how things are run on that part of the island (more often than not due to ideological reasons, i.e. aframs, liberals and other adjacent anti-colonialists), while the other chunk of said mainstream prefers to avert their eyes and wash up their hands about the matter.
I believe the DR government would be willing to help them
relocate to another island. Perhaps it's something they
should take a hard look at doing..

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The DR could be part of the solution to the Haiti problems. The US could lead the way. Not should but could.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There are many things that could be tried, but very few of them that will be tried. The US is involved in enough places and should be involved in far fewer places, not more.
Agree! If the next president runs on a platform which includes building a wall between the two countries he will win. He will be called a racist by certain segments but he will win

Reactions: Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Agree! If the next president runs on a platform which includes building a wall between the two countries he will win. He will be called a racist by certain segments but he will win
Wallls and borders between countries have
been around for hundreds of years. I fail to
see how they are all of a sudden racist :unsure:

Reactions: melphis

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I couldn't but notice the fella who started
this thread is on an extended vacation
(again) LOL!!!!! 😄 😄 😄
If at first you don't succeed......

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I couldn't but notice the fella who started
this thread is on an extended vacation
(again) LOL!!!!! 😄 😄 😄
If at first you don't succeed......
How do you find this out. I have looked for the sin bin but it seems to have gone the way of off topic.