Why do Dominican need to steal from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all the people who put down the rich and the highly respected folks in DR are the same people who don't even know one person from that circle. get to know them and then you will see whom I am talking about. I am not even talking about the elite class here, just the ones who are educated and live better than you and I. These people do exactly what the upper class americans do; example: they live in better neighborhoods like people live in USA, they have several late model cars, study in europe or USA or even in better schools of DR. they play golf on weekends and even on weekdays. they take holidays in 5 star resorts and often take trips out of the country. They have hobbies like you folks example: photography, boating, fishing, flying model airplanes (remote control), painting etc etc. They dress well and talk intelligently and respect the social rules and norms.
I can already see that you people are thinking that I am talking about people from another country. then you have folks who are thinking "sure maybe AZB is talking about the .005% of the rich population of this country.....blah blah blah".
The truth is, most of you expats and tourists are actually American / european chopos. No wonder you come here and find your types instantly. how many times I meet a lawyer from USA or canada yet when I meet his dominican wife or girlfriend, she immediately turns out to be a 100% chopa or ex-hooker type.
The guy is always madly in love with her and claims she is the best thing ever happened in his life. same holds true for foreign women.
AZB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
"Never lend money to friends, you might lose them both"
Ricardo

I only loan the amount that I am not afraid to lose, I pretty much treat loans as gifts and don't expect re-payment, so I figure an amount that I could be comfortable with, and that's the most I will lend out.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
rocky, thanks for the insight. i guess i need to study up on DR status vehicles. toyota seems to be a favorite with latinos....

anyway, back to the subject....

C

Chip00

No wonder you come here and find your types instantly. how many times I meet a lawyer from USA or canada yet when I meet his dominican wife or girlfriend, she immediately turns out to be a 100% chopa or ex-hooker type. AZB

Geez AZB - who's doing the generalization now?

Also, as far as the gringos being chopo types what you need to realize is that a lot of gringos that come here have had successful careers back home and many I'm sure are professionals.

We Americans are all raised to believe in the "American Dream" which can be a really great thing but what happens sometimes when you "arrive"? Naturally one becomes board and wants to try someting new. Many gringos are an inquisitive type always looking for something new whether it be learning a new language or going out with women(man) of the opposite race .You ever heard the saying "the fun part was getting there" - that's it exactly? So next time you see what appears to be some upstanding gringo tossing it all for some apparent bimbo - try to "open your mind a bit" friend.

As far as the comment I made about the affluent Dominicans and their materialistic attitude I think I'm somewhat qualified as I live here in the DR and met people as such.

I believe it must stem from one's point of view, you obviously relish mingling with these sorts and therefore are going to see in a different light where on the othere hand I've dealt with people like this all my life and for me it's absolutely no big deal. BTW I deal with a lot of clients who have more money than you can shake a stick at including one who is trying to build a 3000' building in the states!

Take care

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I guess I learned pretty early on here that Dominicans often confuse loans with gifts, I still lend out money occasionally but I never really expect to get it back, unless its an employee loan with an agreed weekly deduction.

The thing to remember is that Dominicans can pretty much get a small loan anytime, but these loans are pretty high interest (3-4% a month with no amortization) and the loan sharks are pretty good at pressuring people into paying them back.

There is a fair chance that anyone who wants to borrow money from you is either trying to dodge the market interest rate or else has no intention of paying and knows that you don't have any collection muscle.

So: start charging interest, and offer to get a lawyer to draw up a "pagare notarial" or your loans, then you know for a fact that anyone who still wants a loan from you has no intention of paying you back (since they are not deterred by the interest and they could easily get a loan elsewhere from a regular "financiera") and now you can say "hell no" with a clear conscience.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
As far as the comment I made about the affluent Dominicans and their materialistic attitude I think I'm somewhat qualified as I live here in the DR and met people as such.

Take care

I agree completely with you on that point. I have had the opportunity to meet a few dominican rich folks and although atimes you can sense the fact that it is really a materialistic society where being rich means showing off to the world and 'looking down on others' but I sometimes wonder in a corrupt society such as the DR how many of these rich people really have had to work hard for their money and how many are rich as a result of the benefitting from the corrupt system.

Every society is corrupt to an extent (even here in the US) but the beauty of our society is that we have checks and balances and there is a lot of accountability. We do not worship rich people but we worship people who have been rich and succesful as a result of hard work because that is a fundamental aspect of the 'american dream'.

What I am trying to say is that atimes some of these rich people do not seem to understand the difference between being classy and being arrogant. When you think that because you are rich, you can get away with almost anything, it can seem uncouth to some of us but I can understand that it is a mentality that is generally condoned so it can be okay.

Some are just 'chopos' with a big wallet

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I guess you folks are destined to socialize with the poor and desperate and then complain. Does anyone have any positive experience with the rich and educated of this country? does anyone know a single respected wealthy dominican?
I am not talking about shaking someone's had or had a meeting with him over some project?
AZB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
AZB,

I have EXTREMELY wealthy family members and friends in Santiago. And perhaps since you mingle in that circle you might know them as well (no need to mention names). They match the description of the rich folks you mentioned in post #21. I can safely say that I can deal with probably 2 or 3 of these individuals. You can add my name to the people who think that MOST wealthy folks in the DR are rude arrogant prick$. Notice how I said MOST and not SOME. With that I'm saying the MAJORITY.

But at the same token lets play devil's advocate. In a way I can understand why these people are the way they are. They choose to have their own circle and hardly let anyone in unless you are of the same caliber. And this I guess is to maybe protect what they have??? Or maybe they don't let you in because you can't "show off enough".

Luckily I am schooled and well educated and can mingle with just about any crowd. I have seen how it is in that circle you refer to and thanks but no thanks. When I go to one of my uncle's house in La Zurza(sp) He starts showing me all the CRRRAP he's bought when he travels. I mean that is ok and all but it's in the mood/way he does it in. I touched a vase he bought in Korea last year and he said "I bought that vase in Korea bla bla bla" with so much grandeour. Who gives a rat's a$$. I can go to little Korea here in midtown and buy the same damn vase if I wanted to. It is so much BS in that circle. I rather associate myself with lower class (in a matter of speaking) Dominicans that are educated, schooled and have dignity. Note: when I say lower class I'm not saying CHOPOS or WHORES. I say people of low income that have gone to school, read books, can carry a conversation etc.

Esos son mis dos cheles...

C

Chip00

I guess you folks are destined to socialize with the poor and desperate and then complain. Does anyone have any positive experience with the rich and educated of this country? does anyone know a single respected wealthy dominican?
I am not talking about shaking someone's had or had a meeting with him over some project?
AZB

I have in fact have met some Dominicans that are rich and educated and some have been just like you say they are - decent people. I could name quite a few doctors here in Santiago and La Clinica Cormina and La Union, at least one lawyer, etc. I'm sure with time I'll have the chance to meet more. BTW the clients I was referencing all live in the states.

But I have met others that it is apparent that they're in their on little world - especially the ones flying by me in their jipetas when I go take my daughter to school everyday. Those people don't seem to give a damn about anybody else on the road, have the cellphone going and always are dressed to the hilt no matter what. You've got to admit AZB that bling is respected in this society and for myself that is materialistic.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Johne,

This happens to just about everyone. If I were you I'd do what I do. I have a NO MONEY LENDING POLICY. I have lost many good friends because of this (perhaps they weren't good friends because they didn't pay back???) Dominicans & Americans alike here in NYC.

I lend money TO NOBODY. I give whenever I can. The last person I lost was one of my younger brothers. Wanted to buy a car and managed to get 1,500 out of me. I only saw 500. This was over two years ago. Now he is in the military and that grand is long forgotten. I don't have anything against him but he doesn't call or write because he is perhaps ashamed of what he did. It is really f'd up but that's the way it is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You "Are To",a Babe-In-The-Woods"!

Anyone who EVER loans money to a Dominican,is a" babe-in-the-woods"!

You can NEVER really understand Dominicans until you live here in the DR amoung them! Their culture IS DIFFERENT!! If you loan money to any dominican,it is your "Problem" to TRY and get it back! They NEVER accept responsibility for ANYTHING! They lie,steal,cheat,take advantage of,and look you straight in the eye while they do it!

Rule # One is" NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,loan $$$$$$$$$,tools,a car,ANYTHING! To A Dominican!!
And Dominicans will be the first ones to agree with me!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
as a visitor to the DR, i don't care who i mingle with as long as i have fun. since one of my specialities is womanizing, i can tell you from experience in the bed you can't tell a rich woman from a poor woman.

and you can take that to the bank.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You are over the top on this one

First of all the people who put down the rich and the highly respected folks in DR are the same people who don't even know one person from that circle. get to know them and then you will see whom I am talking about. I am not even talking about the elite class here, just the ones who are educated and live better than you and I. These people do exactly what the upper class americans do; example: they live in better neighborhoods like people live in USA, they have several late model cars, study in europe or USA or even in better schools of DR. they play golf on weekends and even on weekdays. they take holidays in 5 star resorts and often take trips out of the country. They have hobbies like you folks example: photography, boating, fishing, flying model airplanes (remote control), painting etc etc. They dress well and talk intelligently and respect the social rules and norms.
I can already see that you people are thinking that I am talking about people from another country. then you have folks who are thinking "sure maybe AZB is talking about the .005% of the rich population of this country.....blah blah blah".
The truth is, most of you expats and tourists are actually American / european chopos. No wonder you come here and find your types instantly. how many times I meet a lawyer from USA or canada yet when I meet his dominican wife or girlfriend, she immediately turns out to be a 100% chopa or ex-hooker type.
The guy is always madly in love with her and claims she is the best thing ever happened in his life. same holds true for foreign women.
AZB

Sorry to say my friend your posting is without class. Let me begin by saying when you say " most" you are downright insulting to any decent person (expat) that reads this board.

Second-with all your boasting of this that and the other rich person you bring to the table-let me remind you that most "rich" people NEVER talk about their money. It just isn't done by people with class.
Third--most of your "rich" friends couldn't get an invite to an opening of a grocery store in any major city of the USA.
Now to get back to the subject at hand-what in your widest dreams makes you think your "rich" friends wouldn't be the first person to "eat your lunch". Oh come on, I think you are a lot smarter than that.They are MORE likely to "steal" than any poorer folk you might know. (Do you know any?)
AZB, I just don't know what your problem is. I mean that literally.You seem to be a very unhappy man. Just look back on all of your posts in the past regarding man/woman relationships in the DR. They are all the same. Cut and paste.And on the subject of rich/poor-all the same cut and paste.
Now you are going to another level in stating most expats are...bla, bla, bla, etc.
Very friggen boring I must say. Perhaps you save all your intelligent conversations for those intimate dinner parties that no one else on this board gets invited to?
Anyway, we all still love you.
JOHN

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You've got to admit AZB that bling is respected in this society and for myself that is materialistic.

I think we are talking about 2 different people. You are talking about dominicans who made quick money and now show off with bling and Jepetas. I am not talking about those types. I think you guys still don't get it. The dominicans I am talking about don't always own Jepetas (maybe as a 2nd car) and certainly don't have tattooes and never dress like gangsters or play loud music from huge speakers. You guys are talking about dom york chopos who come here to show off.

Now el tigre, I have met you and if I remember correctly you mentioned that you often get refused entry to many decent places in santiago, thats because you have your 60% of your body covered with tattoos. Now I am sure you kinow this is not the trait of well schooled gentleman from the states. This alone will disqualify you from socializing with any dominican from the society.
El tigre is a great guy and I have met his family. They are good people. But please try to understand, I am not talking about only poor barrio people, I am talking about people that expats socialize with, the desperate types. I would say that most decent poor dominican girls who have worked hard to get education from university in santiago will not like to meet a tourist just for the sake of getting a visa, only the desperate barrio trash would be gradly seen with a 60 plus yrs old man dressed in shorts and cigar in his mouth. These girls have no shame or pride.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Second-with all your boasting of this that and the other rich person you bring to the table-let me remind you that most "rich" people NEVER talk about their money. It just isn't done by people with class.JOHN

I guess it makes you the biggest american chopo of all time because you are the one who had always mentioned before that you own 200 apartments in NY and how many millions your house worth etc etc etc. You think we all give a rats ass about your millions? Hahahaha
All I am saying is that you folks mingle with the dirt from DR and then complain. Now try making friends with dominicans who don't need your friendship or people who are not impressed with your bank account. Then and only then you will see this country with different eyes.
AZB

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
i once lent 100 pounds to a friend, rich girls but in a sudden need of money. it took me almost two years of emails and telephone calls (me in london, her in poland) to get my money back and the friendship has never been restored.
that's what happen when you trust the wrong person...
as to your: God help the first person that comes up to me today and asks for ANY kind of help. Wow is he in trouble!
you should now better now who to trust, yes?

I happened to me too - my friend who I knew for 15 years back home asked for $3000 for a "good" reason she actually made up (as it turned out :ermm: ). I am glad I did not give her the money. Not sure we can be friends any more.

I never give money to anyone from third world countries unless it is charity and I know where it goes. Somehow people from back home think that money in the US grows on trees and we just collect it :cheeky: They have not idea what life is like here and think if they take a little bit of ours it is not stealing but just sharing ;)

Sorry, I just had to say something, could not help it :ermm:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
$1000.00 to your favorite charity

I guess it makes you the biggest american chopo of all time because you are the one who had always mentioned before that you own 200 apartments in NY and how many millions your house worth etc etc etc. You think we all give a rats ass about your millions? Hahahaha
All I am saying is that you folks mingle with the dirt from DR and then complain. Now try making friends with dominicans who don't need your friendship or people who are not impressed with your bank account. Then and only then you will see this country with different eyes.
AZB

I will donate $1000.00 to your favorite charity if you can find any postings that I made (not you) that says I own 200 apartments and have millions of dollars.
And if you can't I would like you to donate $100.00 to La Casa Rosada (the ophanage not the other "house")
Posted here for the whole world to see.
Go for it my friend.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Post # 1 Clarification

Just a point of clarification--both people that I am talking about live here in NY.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to finish off "trust" subject - i also lent 1000 pounds to another friend (we know each other for 24 years) and she paid be back over one year. every month she would say how much she can pay, update me on her finances and apologize. i did not mind as i did not need the money at the time.

it is hard to know who to trust as we normally judge by own standards ("i'd give the money back so i think X will do the same").

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Now el tigre, I have met you and if I remember correctly you mentioned that you often get refused entry to many decent places in santiago, thats because you have your 60% of your body covered with tattoos. Now I am sure you kinow this is not the trait of well schooled gentleman from the states. This alone will disqualify you from socializing with any dominican from the society.

El tigre is a great guy and I have met his family. They are good people.

You remembered incorrectly AZB. Allow me to correct you...

I never get refused. My sleezie dressing female cousins from NY do (I have a large family and not all dress this way). And I have warned them many times when we go there together. I tell them to wear something more "elegant" if you will. I do not have 60% of my body covered with tattoos. In fact I didn't even show you my tattoos when we met. You only saw the two on my arms which were half way covered with the polo T I was wearing. I also have one on my back.

I know this probably isn't the spot to discuss this as I am hogging John's thread but man - you need to get your head out of your you know what. You have this thing with people that have tattoos. Dude, the EVP of north east sales in my company has tattoos and drives a harley. I'm positive this guy makes over 200K USD a year. What is the big deal??? What does having tattoos and being well schooled have anything to do with one another. Come on man. You are smarter than that.

Finally - you are right about the family you met. My aunt Dolores. I love her to death because she is humble. And because she married a man of lower "stature" my "rich" side of the family completely abandoned her. But when you went there you saw how you were treated. That's something money doesn't buy.

Back on topic...

I do agree with the ones that say that SOME Dominicans don't have sense of responsibility. Specially when they borrow money from you. I lost a compadre in Santiago that owes me 4,000 pesos. Everytime I drive by where he lives and he spots me he runs lol.

Sorry John for hoggin your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.