why do dominicans hate us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think that rather than psychoanalyzing the OP we should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that his perceptions are accurate. There is a certain amount of very rude people here; they might be in the minority but they do exist and they will do and say things which would never fly back in the states.
Here are some possible reasons:

1. You and your wife have a very large age difference (e.g. 30 years).
2. You are white and your wife is dark.
For the first 2 reasons their minds go to the gutter and assume that it is a relationship based upon money and sex.

3. You have money and they don?t. Jealousy plain and simple.
4. Liberal revisionism while not as strong as in America does exist here. Thus, hatred of whites and Europeans as colonizers and exploiters does exist.

now i am interested in this discussion. i want to hear more about liberal revisionism. fire away, mongoose.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I agree. When I was saying it wasn't a cultural thing, I meant that I don't think being rude and hateful is a large part of Dominican culture. The culture of the poster is definitely a factor.

Being an American, I can say that culture differs greatly depending on where you are in the country. I'm from Texas, and the Northeastern culture for instance can seem odd to me. There are things that would be rude in Texas. For instance, eye contact is an example. Where I'm from, it is rude not to salute anyone that you make eye contact with. Also when waiting with strangers, you're supposed to engage if a conversation starts or start one yourself. When I went to Punta Cana, it was mix of people from everywhere. Now that I've been going to Sosua/Cabarete, I encounter a lot of tourists from up there, and I occasionally have to remind myself that some things aren't intentional.

One thing that drives me crazy as a Texan is the lack of "Thank you" in the DR though. In private, I would have been slapped in the head as a kid if I were handed something and didn't say thank you. In public, I would have gotten the ominous question, What do you say?
Hahah, there are a lot of us North Eastern people on the north coast. I admit completely honestly we are a breed to our own. We are loud, opinionated, and that's on a good day. Hahah.
But we have a good sense of humor, usally off color, ( which tends to offend) we wise size you up to see if you have an angle your playing.
So I can see where your coming from.
I personally enjoy socializing with southern and Midwestern Americans, because of the politeness and the genuineness.
I enjoy walking around Sosua and chatting with everyone I come in contact with. ( motoconcho drivers excluded). I have never been treated rudely.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
can you post a pic of you and your woman?

This really is an odd story to me but are you generally not friendly, miserable looking and have an attitude that you are better than everyone else?

I am very different looking from what most doms are used to and I am constantly amazed at how nice and helpful doms are to us.

People do ask us for stuff of course all the time but they also give us lots of stuff, don't see that happening in Canada!!!
Hahaha, your post made me think of the time we were having drinks with Ray, and that young boy saw your tats and he yelled and pointed, getting all excited.
Hahahahaha.
Man that was funny.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
why do dominicans hate us? Let me reply

I read all the replies to my question.

Only three replies were normal.

The rest of the replies are rude and off base.

What you all assumed about my wife is actually the opposite.

Most of you are ignorant children and you are living in lala land.

The fact is if these people could take us to the atm and fleece us

for our last penny, they would.

The smiles and the friendliness is fake.

They are way below us in intelligence and financial standing.

There are no friends here and will never be.

Wake up gringos!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Queens at the Supermarkets

Many of us have been living here much longer than you.
You probably came here in 2011 and now you are telling us to wake up?
Very funny. :laugh:

Of course, and as there are hardly severe consequences for them, why should they not?
It's the culture.
Wake up, gringo!
{You just need to learn the game..}

Not always.
I like the friendly attitude of the cashier at the supermarket or a waitress at some small restaurant...

[video=youtube;q1BPuLZ995M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BPuLZ995M[/video]

What does that have to do with friendliness and being in good humour?

They may be few, but we have them... :bunny:

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Wake up gringos!

i hope you feel better tomorow...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
How I found happiness in an unhappy world.....

Wake up gringos!

.... It's not my fault, it's them!
However it is YOU who is at fault, with the theatre in your head.
The Dominicans will not change for you, nor will we.
Just go elsewhere and live with the happy, polite people of your choice.
Why waste your time and be unhappy in the DR?
The world will never be what you want it to be, you have to learn to be happy in the world as it is.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There's the problem. You have unrealistic expectations. You expected a poor third world country to be just like home. Some foreigners walking down the street of any major urban center in the USA never get pointed at, laughed at or catcalled. No foreigner in the USA has their pocket picketed, is sold a bridge, swindled or been robbed at an atm.

I get it, you have finally realized that you are in the Dominican Republic and not Maggie Valley North Carolina. Ain't no "original" 'mericans just like you here. Sorry you though otherwise. Those travel brochures should be clearer on this point.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I like the friendly attitude of the cashier at the supermarket or a waitress at some small restaurant...

[video=youtube;q1BPuLZ995M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BPuLZ995M[/video]

donP

Interesting video. It has such a warm, familiar feel to it. 1:10, 2:09, 2:50....

:classic: mob

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012

Wake up gringos!

If there was any doubt before, this post pretty much cleared that up. Dominicans are not the problem, this guy is probably hated everywhere he goes, by anyone unlucky enough to meet him. There is no cure for miserable people!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Wake up gringos!

I golf occasionally with a Dominican guy that is far above the majority of this board financially and he's very intelligent as well. He and his wife are both educated, polite, and gracious people. The caddies love to caddie for him, he hires two, one to pull the golf bag and another to retrieve balls. He treats them very respectful and gives them generous tips. Many of the people he associates with are similar - rich, educated people with class and manners. All of them are Dominican and if they hate gringos they hide it well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If there was any doubt before, this post pretty much cleared that up. Dominicans are not the problem, this guy is probably hated everywhere he goes, by anyone unlucky enough to meet him. There is no cure for miserable people!

The OP has had trouble with DR from the get-go.

2zs8kly.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.