Why do you live here, if you hate it so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do you mean Juan Dolio or do you mean Boca Chica. Two completely different places. Juan Dolio, where I used to live, is full of high end apartment buildings owned in the main by rich people from the capital. Few tourists as there are only 2 AI hotels, very few prostitutes, and if there is a drug problem I didn't see it. Crime yes.

Matilda

Sorry, meant to say Boca Chica, thanks.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
what I want to know is why some expats continue to live here when they are flat broke, owe money to other people, rip off others in business deals and don't have a dime to their name? They look filthy and live like the poor dominicans. some even live in shacks with their local cuero in some village. So what is so screwed-up with these expats in their own native country that they refuse to go back, on top of that, embrace abject poverty of this country?
never mind, I think I know the answer.
To answer the OP's question:
many expats continue to live here is because they were loner back home, a Joe-no one, he hadn't gotten laid with a woman in 4 years and no chance of being accepted by real people in his native country. he comes here and finds fools's gold. Attention from chopas and looked upon as rich by the dirt poor. He finally finds attention and calls his chopa and her kids, his family.
Well, you know the rest of my drill so I will save my words.

now the dude who enjoys DR the best is badpiece. he does more in 1 week of vacation than anyone can do in 4 vacations. I feel sorry for the car rental agency because this guy puts on some serious miles on the rental car. I have heard he is doing good with the women department in NY so I believe him when he says, he comes here to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of this island. In my next life,. I would like to be born as badpiece.
AZB

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Do you mean Juan Dolio or do you mean Boca Chica. Two completely different places. Juan Dolio, where I used to live, is full of high end apartment buildings owned in the main by rich people from the capital. Few tourists as there are only 2 AI hotels, very few prostitutes, and if there is a drug problem I didn't see it. Crime yes.

Matilda

Matilda, I respect alot of your posts but ya really gotta get your head outta the clouds. Just because YOU DON'T SEE IT.....it ain't happening?? Granted Juan Dolio DOES NOT have the notorious name "BOCA CHICA" attached to it. I realize you live there.....(or you used to), great, I've been there ALOT, and trust me.....PLENTY OF AVAILIABLE CHICAS THERE.....or as you refer to them "Prostitutes"

And the drug problem, It goes something like this. We need a quiet sleepy town where people will suspect nothing with easy access to the airport. A place where everyone will THINK.."everything is cool....no drugs here" Drug dealers DEPEND and hope people will think like you.

Not your fault, even if you looked beyond the "Facade"....YOU probably wouldn't find anything compared to the "wide openess of that bad place called Boca Chica"

Have a happy Thanksgiving

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
what I want to know is why some expats continue to live here when they are flat broke, owe money to other people, rip off others in business deals and don't have a dime to their name? They look filthy and live like the poor dominicans. some even live in shacks with their local cuero in some village. So what is so screwed-up with these expats in their own native country that they refuse to go back, on top of that, embrace abject poverty of this country?
never mind, I think I know the answer.
To answer the OP's question:
many expats continue to live here is because they were loner back home, a Joe-no one, he hadn't gotten laid with a woman in 4 years and no chance of being accepted by real people in his native country. he comes here and finds fools's gold. Attention from chopas and looked upon as rich by the dirt poor. He finally finds attention and calls his chopa and her kids, his family.
Well, you know the rest of my drill so I will save my words.

now the dude who enjoys DR the best is badpiece. he does more in 1 week of vacation than anyone can do in 4 vacations. I feel sorry for the car rental agency because this guy puts on some serious miles on the rental car. I have heard he is doing good with the women department in NY so I believe him when he says, he comes here to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of this island. In my next life,. I would like to be born as badpiece.
AZB

I know him well, and I can vouch for this......(if these walls could talk).....

Sometimes I'm a little jealous of him, because I think he's having more fun than me......

My question is why do people who live in a tourist area like Sosua or Juan Dolio think that the rest of the people in the country are like the locals?

That would be like moving to a bad area with drugs and prostitutes in the Bronx and then saying all Americans are like the ones where they live.

For those who live in Sosua and Juan Dolio who are offended, sorry but the facts are these are high crime areas and centers of drugs and prostitution and in fact ridiculed by Dominicans who don't live there too.

Chip I agree with most of your statement but you throw a blanket over the people who live in Sosua, Juan Dolio and even the Bronx. I live in 2 of the areas mentioned and can tell you without a doubt I know some of the most stand up people you will ever meet that were born and live in these areas, Your place of birth doesnt make you the person you are. Most of the drug dealers and prostitutes come from cities like Santiago and Santo Domingo to ply their trades, They are not native to Sosua or Juan Dolio. These people come because this is where the tourists are

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You know, I think that there is another side to this: The Irony of It All...or perhaps "This is f*cking ridiculous!" but in a humorous way.
There is that thread called, I think, "Only in the Dominican Republic" where we can publish our stories of some of the really incredible things we see. And fortunately, not all of them are so negative and many are funny as he!!. And some show the really great inventiveness of the people here. (For example, the use of the left-over sheets of sponge rubber used to make flip-flops as fencing to keep chickens in and goats out, or the use of the cardboard cylinders from TP to use a curlers.)

RE: All the poontang/P*ssy/Pu$$y/whatever you are calling sex these days, yes, but that is available all over the world. I think there is a special "something" about the local variety.

RE: Badpiece. You guys have no idea what a really great guy he is....and that beer/grande/or whatever is always available at the Hovel....24/7....and I hope he knows that!!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all. I wish I could be up at Rocky's today, but duty calls. There is a great talk at Centro Leon tonight and tons of good football.

Remember, that at its most basic level, Thanksgiving is about tolerance and sharing, so be nice...

HB

HB I need to stopby and have that beer with you someday soon. Thanks all for the kind words, The reason I think I have learned to love the DR is because I have learned to assimilate to their way of life. I dont agree with alot that goes on like the lack of rules on the road, lending =giving, Dominicans never admit to being wrong etc... But once you understand the way it is, you over come and adapt or you will just get angry and miserable, hurting only yourself in the long run. imho. In any case Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
HB I need to stopby and have that beer with you someday soon. Thanks all for the kind words, The reason I think I have learned to love the DR is because I have learned to assimilate to their way of life. I dont agree with alot that goes on like the lack of rules on the road, lending =giving, Dominicans never admit to being wrong etc... But once you understand the way it is, you over come and adapt or you will just get angry and miserable, hurting only yourself in the long run. imho.
Ditto!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip I agree with most of your statement but you throw a blanket over the people who live in Sosua, Juan Dolio and even the Bronx. I live in 2 of the areas mentioned and can tell you without a doubt I know some of the most stand up people you will ever meet that were born and live in these areas, Your place of birth doesnt make you the person you are. Most of the drug dealers and prostitutes come from cities like Santiago and Santo Domingo to ply their trades, They are not native to Sosua or Juan Dolio. These people come because this is where the tourists are

Believe it or not I don't have a problem with anything you said in your post.

Still, at the end of the day the quality of life in many areas of Santiago, ie friendliness of the locals and lack of crime, are superior to my opinion than similar in Sosua.

I also hope I haven't given the idea that some people are born "better" because of their location because that would go against everything I stand for. Rather I would say that people here in Santiago generally speaking value certain things I find favorable as opposed to what I have seen in Sosua.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Believe it or not I don't have a problem with anything you said in your post.

Still, at the end of the day the quality of life in many areas of Santiago, ie friendliness of the locals and lack of crime, are superior to my opinion than similar in Sosua.

I also hope I haven't given the idea that some people are born "better" because of their location because that would go against everything I stand for. Rather I would say that people here in Santiago generally speaking value certain things I find favorable as opposed to what I have seen in Sosua.

W hat you say is true, but this true all over the world. There will be more crime in a tourist town like Daytona Beach, then in a small town out in the boondocks. In a big city like NY you will have safe areas, and unsafe areas. Same for STI, or SD

All is not well in STI, and you know it. There is a drugs war going on, f.e. The thing is, it is easier to ignore in a big city.

As far as the locals go. And I am now speaking of Sosua and Cabarete. I have met a lot of very fine, upstanding, local people here, both rich and poor. I am equally sure there a number of bad apples here, and certainly more than in a small village.

But the ratio is probably 9 good ones, to one bad apple.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip is very open minded and respects the opinions of everyone....

Chip, when was the last time you were in Sosua?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip is very open minded and respects the opinions of everyone....

Chip, when was the last time you were in Sosua?

Don I might ask why do you address only me in the majority of your posts?

At any rate when you start addressing my rebuttals to your jibberish maybe I will answer you, otherwise it's apparent you could care less what the truth is - based on your previous posts regarding me anyway.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don I might ask why do you address only me in the majority of your posts?

At any rate when you start addressing my rebuttals to your jibberish maybe I will answer you, otherwise it's apparent you could care less what the truth is - based on your previous posts regarding me anyway.
I asked a legitimate question Chip.

Do you have a legitimate answer?

Originally Posted by kimbjorkland View Post
* Why do you care about other people's opinions?
Why can't the same be said for you based on this question and your previous posts?

* Why are some gringos here so blind to the realities on the ground?
Why do you feel the need to project your reality on the rest of us? Why isn't that arrogant and naive and the same time?

* Why does it bother you that others are entitled to an opinion?
Why can't the same be said of you? BTW, I have no problem people expressing their opinion only that they want me to agree obligatorily.

Well, So much for your comment of:

"have no problem people expressing their opinion"

You sure give them hell when they don't agree with you..................

33e76ld.gif

You are always putting down something.
Now you put down Sosua, on what grounds, hearsay?
When were you in Sosua?

Was it this decade? (2011)
Was it last decade? (2001-2010)
Was it this century? (2000-2011)
Was it last century? (1900-1999)

Inquiring minds want to know!

Don

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Some stay for the pu$$y others stay for the co&k

:) c*ck of overrated. you can find that anywhere in the world. but it ani't so easy to find someone who loves you and whom you love back. excuse me if i sound like danielle steele :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And then,SOME stay for BOTH!
After all,what is "COCK",but "PUSSY" on a stick!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
Funny, by listening to everyone I would venture to say that probably more than
90% of posters probably love the DR; they just say it in a different way!!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Clint Eastwood summed it up the best when he said "you improvise, you overcome you adapt" (movie Heartbreak Ridge) and those of us that can do this love the place, and those who refuse to do this, sit and complain to anyone who will listen, or in this case, read......

You forgot one thing... YOU BECOME PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
Those people that complain here are the same that complained in their home country. They're not happy anywhere or any day so they try to bring others down with them. Misery loves company.
I agree with others about the tourist areas. You can't judge the entire country by those areas. I stay in Los Jardines and love it. The only thing I could complain about is the trash on the streets, but I'll take a trashy street over violence any day.
I only go to Sosua once a year to visit some gringo friends I have there so I can't sit here and judge Sosua. I am noticing more "sex tourists" coming to Santiago now. I hope they don't turn this place into another sex resort like some other towns.
But some people can't get sex without paying. They come to the country only for sex without wanting to learn about the local culture. Then they wonder why people treat them like caca. If you came to my neighborhood in the U.S. only for the women and ignoring our customs I would treat you like caca too. I will hustle you because I know you're an easy target. Its nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.