Why do you love the DR? Positive responses only please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You sir are not Dominican instead you are an American U.S. citizen of Dominican cultural heritage. People can't seem to get it right. People born in the U.S. study and work there make their livelihoods there meaning $$$$$$ yet don't give respect to the country they were born in being the U.S.A. I take every chance possible to correct a person's ignorance when they choose to call themselves Dominican and Dominican only yet they were born and raised in the U.S.A. thats quite disrespectful, rude, negligent, and arrogant without a foundation. Let those same people go to the DR and live day in and day out and survive on the wages many lower to middle class workers earn and see if they live the same lifestyle and have an increased happiness I doubt it young man!!
Click here and read section VIII, put careful attention to the first sentence in Box 1.

Once you do that, come to this thread and quickly explain to everyone how does the US government practice in counting the Dominican population in the US differs from say, the way POPNYChic and santobonao identify.

I certainly don't see much of a difference and yet, I don't think the US is being arrogant and neither are santobonao and POPNYChic and the hundreds of thousands of other Dominicans by blood.

Ironically, I think a Puerto Rican don't have much authority in telling Dominicans how to identify. Hmm, this sounds familiar to what's occurring in another thread in DR1.

i was born in the u.s. and partially raised there but i'll be damned if i call myself anything other than DOMINICAN. technically i am american, yes, but in the end i identify as only a Dominican who's lived 'pa fuera. Pese a quien le pese, Duela a quien le duela.

so umm clearly i just love the DR, period.:)

santobonao said:
Are you nuts? how is going to be disrespectful if people calling that they are dominican because they have an heritage and blood from that culture. Much better learn to says the word correctly and don't tell these kind of things. To be dominican you don't have to be born in the island, if you are part of it, so you can be an citizen with no problem because your parents comes from that country. By the way you are wrong and you seems that you dont like anything that have to be with that country, and many people can make money in that country and its not necesarry that they will have an lower wages, if you used you're right head to it.

What are you two waiting for?

Go to the closest Dominican consulate and do this.

Not only will that result in you getting your Dominican passport and cedula, it will also give you full Dominican rights, even those that are denied to foreigners that naturalize Dominican (voting rights is a good example). You can do anything on Dominican soil on equal footing with island-born folks from opening bank accounts to buying property, no need to buy and fill a tourist card at the airport, etc without having to go through the usual additional hassles non-Dominicans go through. Plus, the likelihood you will be welcomed by the immigration guy with a 'bienvenido a tu pa?s' or 'bienvenido a tu casa.' It will have quite an impact on you, especially when you return to the US and the counterpart don't even smile back.

Plus, you'll eliminate that idiotic technicality that is not a real technicality since the right to Dominican nationality is automatically given to descendants of Dominicans upon birth and is never lost, unless you are considered a traitor or expressively decline your right. Also, even if you never live in the country, your kids will also have the automatic right to Dominican nationality, which may or may not be important to them, even if they are born outside the DR.

You can thank the Dominican Constitution and you will not lose your American citizenship, passport, etc.

Last edited:

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
This one is easy

I love the DR because the people, for the most part, are real.

I spend a lot of time out in the country where the people are so down to earth, simple, and sincerely nice. It is such a nice change and so refreshing.

They don't miss the plasma TV because they've never had one
They are not laden with credit card debt
They don't need to put on makeup and douse themselves in perfume to go pickup something at the colmado
They find so much pleasure in simply sitting out on la galeria, talking and sharing una fria or two (or 3, or 4,...)
They will share their last bite to eat with you even when they know they have no pesos to buy something to eat the next day

Of course, the gorgeous scenery with the mountains (something I crave living in South Florida), beaches, etc. doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: woofsback

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are some advantages of having a weak and corrupt government and ineffective press, at least you know nobody is paying attention to them, like your kids for example. In other places where this is not the case a parent will have a lot of competition from the aforementioned and there are certain to be a lot of conflicts.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
NALS, yeah ive been thinking about dual citizenship for a bit...think i posted a thread in the dominicans abroad section but got only one reply saying it wasnt worth it lol i still wanna do it...will prolly get around to it next year when im there...

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
NALS, yeah ive been thinking about dual citizenship for a bit...think i posted a thread in the dominicans abroad section but got only one reply saying it wasnt worth it lol i still wanna do it...will prolly get around to it next year when im there...

Why did they say dual citizenship wasn't worth it? I have my dual citizenship and I find it way worth it. I even got my Dominican passport in July for easier travel to Cuba, cheaper visa to Brazil and to not have to take out my US passport if my bus is stopped from Peru to Brazil haha. Highly unlikely, but you never know.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
In response to the OP, I love the DR because a backback left on the street is simply a backpack left on the street in the Dominican Republic. In New York, for example, it is a bomb.

Less stress due to less paranoia.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
I'm pretty sure you would also love the high end corruption that is prevalent in the island. I have lot of love for the DR as my fiance was born there but even her and her family acknowledge this aspect. Let's not even start with the money hungry scum politicians senadores becoming millionaires in US Dollars after assuming office not including the additional perks and these same guys would not last ten minutes in office in the US. Then there are the lawyers if you could call them that. Approximately 90% of the DR lawyers are mediocre, lazy, corrupt, and willing to sell out their own clients to say the least. I speak on personal experience and from my dominican friends experiences with these scumbags. The Dominican Bar Association please let a group of 10 US lawyers go downthere to investigate the law system and Dominican lawyers practices there and those 10 lawyers will become multi-millionaires in US Dollars within 6 months to cover up the discovery of corruption!!!! I love the DR but lets cleanup the prevalent corruption then it would become a better safer and more reliable place with an improved international reputation!!!

By the way, you are in the wrong thread because everything you say is putting the country even down. In the way you are saying about Dominican Republic, i don't know really why you have to express this way, and why you are in DR1. You shouldn't be here in the way you speaking about negative.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Santobonao, POPNYChic, and others that jumped on me honestly I do have love for the DR my soon to be wife was born there and we go there twice a year to visit family and friends and have a great time. I'm realist and so is she let's try to discuss different methods and ways possible to make the DR a better place. When we are there or those that live there let our behaviors and mannerisms try to influence dominicans in a positive way. Hopefully most of those tiguerazo knuckleheads there will gradually change their anit-progressive and anti-corrupt sneaky ways I could only wish!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Santobonao, POPNYChic, and others that jumped on me honestly I do have love for the DR my soon to be wife was born there and we go there twice a year to visit family and friends and have a great time. I'm realist and so is she let's try to discuss different methods and ways possible to make the DR a better place. When we are there or those that live there let our behaviors and mannerisms try to influence dominicans in a positive way. Hopefully most of those tiguerazo knuckleheads there will gradually change their anit-progressive and anti-corrupt sneaky ways I could only wish!!!!

Nobody is claiming the DR is a perfect place. I started this thread to focus on the positive of the DR and have asked people to be respective of that although it appears you didn't see that part.

There are plently of threads about what ails the DR and some of them I have started. You are welcome to start one too. This one I would like to focus on the good of the DR.

Reactions: AnnaC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In terms of natural beauty I can't think of any other place on earth that combines everything The DR has in such a condensed package. Sure there are other places who have bigger mountains, larger lakes, bigger rivers, etc...but they either have just one or two of these things or you have to travel very long distances to see the diversity. For instance The US has all of this, but if you want to see a waterfall and then drive to a nice beach you'd have to drive for about a day.

In The DR everything is within hours of each other. As an example if you live in Santo Domingo and you want to go the mountains just drive abut an hour and you're there, want to go to the beach? Tons of them within a two hour driving radius (just take your pick). Want dry deserted environment? Again within a couple of hours. Feel like green, rainforest like foliage? Just drive north for an hour or two. Going to the lake? You guessed it...just drive an hour or so.

When you combine that with the happiness of the people, willingness to welcome a complete stranger and make them feel at home, and the freedoms to go anywhere and do pretty much anything you want that is a powerful combination you can't find anywhere else.

Reactions: Chip and woofsback

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What I like about the DR is that starting in September through the "winter" every so often it will will rain and be chilly for a couple of days and we'll pull out the blankets and jackets and bundle up and drink hot chocolate but know in a day or so it will be bright and sunny and warm as opposed to have to deal with 6 months of gloom.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Lets see:Chinolas,tamarindo,guanabanas,mangos,carambolas,limonsillos and guayabas everywhere...And bori come on seriously.I have many friends from PR that approach me saying they are 100 % boricua and they cant even speak spanish.Go anywhere in the states and tell me whats hanging from a ricans rear view mirror.you guessed it... not an American flag.

MMensah

Oct 30, 2010
Never felt so happy anywhere else...

Awakening at 5am for an early morning walk in Parque Mirador Sur, filled before daybreak with people of all ages, colors and sizes trying to keep themselves beautiful and healthy, the general sense of calmness I experience as I pursue my daily routine, despite the obvious "challenges", the ease of making new friends and developing your support network (including the boy from the Colmado running to the pharmacy to fill your Rx when you are too sick to do it yourself). The delicious food, music, the dancing, the vibrant socializing in the campo and in Santiago, I can go on and on... Me encanta esa Isla!

Oh yeah, you never run out of BEAUTIFUL new destinations to experience, especially discovering the amazing views and delicious, well presented food at the restaurant "Cafetto", in the hills above Moca, on my drive back from Cabarete. The Island never gets boring...

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Jul 4, 2010
I like the Dominican Republic because it's the only place you can steal your neighbor's goat, and if you have him/her eat from the stew you made with it, you're clear with the law and your conscience. Actually, you're a praiseworthy person in the community.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I like DR because the air smell fresh and there is not some many traffic signs and so many police cars waiting for you to make a mistake.
The most I like is that if you are driving and need direction or any kind of help there is a whole bunch of people everywhere ready to help, Different here in US I remember one day I lost my way driving between Creed more and Raleigh NC and spent all morning trying to find a person who to ask how to head on the right way.

haha

JJ

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
i was born in the u.s. and partially raised there but i'll be damned if i call myself anything other than DOMINICAN. technically i am american, yes, but in the end i identify as only a Dominican who's lived 'pa fuera. Pese a quien le pese, Duela a quien le duela.

so umm clearly i just love the DR, period.:)

entonce pa'fuera vaya, americano es americano, si eres dominicano del corazon ven pa'ca viva pa'ca como dominicano que ****.................eres

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.