Why DR1, why????

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
It's actually ok at the moment. Last week the site timed out several times. but all is up to speed now.
A handy tip if you do not want something to load: Add the domain name to your hosts-file.
This is a file for your 'local DNS'. I added Google analytics in there for example.
If you do not want to hook up to Facebook EVER, do the following:
(for win XP, Vista and 7)
* open your windows explorer
* go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
* Right click the file "hosts" and choose open with...
* Choose Notepad, untick "always open..."
* Add the line: 127.0.0.1 facebook.com to the file
* Save file

This is not 100% proof, Facebook uses a wide array of domains but this will tell your internet connection to look on your own PC for any file on Facebook.com. Of course, it will not find it. The facebook connect script does reside on facebook.com so the whole javascript will not load. Saving a connection. The images will still be displayed as they reside on static.ak.fbcdn.net.

I think it has more to do with database connection. And with over 12,000 connections a day I'm not in a least bit surprised.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am always logging in via my browsers favorite menue with the log in data like bordname and password prestored.
the exception is when I receive a e-mail notification about a new message on a topic I am subscribed to, then I just click on the link provided in the e-mail by DR1 and get auto logged in that way.
I do not realize anything slow here on my 'puter/connection,
but of course a auto check "if there is a facebook account active/if there is a facebook foto available/if such facebook foto is assigned to an account logging in to DR1", sure such is an eyeblink of extra work for the connection and also for the computer.
how much of real speed such is using I have no clue about,
like stated, my own log in is satisfying quick,
I had to repeat the log in sevral times in a row before I found the writing on the bottom line that mentioned Facebook.
Robert,
my personally only concern is:
to Me, that I have no DR1 connection established with Facebook,
is there a danger that Facbebook can transmit it's cookies etc to my machine due that DR1-FB connection or not?
I used FB before and I did absolutely not like the crap they stored on my machines without my permit.
in case of speed til now,
I have no kinda trouble on DR1,
and I also wanna be informed by a trusted site DR1 is to Me in case some external site and their behaviors are involved when I Blue Eyed log in on DR1.

like written above,
i am in no way complaining,
til now I found nothing additional on my 'puter and the speed is fine here,
but IF there's such risk I would like to know about it to decide myself what I want and what not.
Mike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
no problem with DR1 pageloads here on my wireless stick.
sure I will not connect it with facebook,
Facbeook sucks,
and more important,
Facebook fills your computer with thosuands of computer speed slowing BS data daily, so if you care about your puter, stay far away from FB.
but simply and alone DR1,
i have to defend the English man,
it works just fine over here,
on the laptop on the Veranda this time of the eve of course.
cheers
Mike
This must be the reason my wife's laps top is running like un suero de miel de avejas.
I'll show this post

JJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a great thread!

As long as you don't "LIKE" it :D

My connection is dreadful but there is no doubt that DR1 is the worst affected site. I don't log into DR1 via FB but there does seem to be a particular problem.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ok, this thread took almost 3 minutes to load, I am not logged on to FACEBOOK! Google Finance takes under 5 seconds to load with a lot more data???

My machine has an i7 processor and a T-1 line.

Firefox is a little faster, than IE8.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
:confused:

I don't see the relationship between DR1 and facebook.

My DR1 slows down when the ADSL has a problem, especially in pings.

Is DR1 hosted on a server in the DR and accessed through Codetel?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Is DR1 hosted on a server in the DR and accessed through Codetel?

Nope. Our main server is in Atlanta (gnax.net).

TraceRoute to 65.254.48.180 [dr1.com]
Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
1 65 49 72 72.249.128.105 -
2 47 43 60 8.9.232.73 xe-5-3-0.edge3.dallas1.level3.net
3 29 33 19 4.69.145.180 ae-83-80.ebr3.dallas1.level3.net
4 47 53 51 4.69.134.22 ae-7-7.ebr3.atlanta2.level3.net
5 47 59 33 69.22.142.118 xe-2-2-0.cr1.atl1.us.nlayer.net
6 70 75 80 4.53.234.6 mzima-netwo.car2.atlanta4.level3.net
7 52 46 75 69.31.135.54 as3595.xe-2-0-5-103.ar1.atl1.us.nlayer.net
8 174 86 35 63.247.77.25 l3-atl-3-g0-2.gnax.net
9 35 34 60 65.254.48.180 server.dr1.com

Maybe changing your DNS server you might see a change in speed.
I personally don't use Codetel DNS servers as I find them unreliable and
sometimes they have problems resolving domains.

It's very easy to setup Open or Google DNS.

OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security
Google Public DNS

Performance Benefits

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I use Open DNS but occasionally have problems going through the Codetel pipeline.

belgiank has banda ancha or 3g...a wireless connection. Could that be the problem?

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
No problem here

I've never experience any of the reported problems noted in this thread... could be because I have a download speed of 7.8Mb/s I log in with Firefox through my bookmarks. No problem at all.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
belgiank has banda ancha or 3g...a wireless connection. Could that be the problem?

I have no idea if 3G connection is the problem. I have never tested it.

Maybe they are throttling certain domains to save bandwidth?
Youtube, Facebook, Gmail etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gmail and Facebook load reasonably quickly.
DR1 and YouTube don't.

I'm a Claro "banda ancha" user - they should rename their service "retro dial-up".

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have the oldest slowest ancient computer but never have a problem connecting or loading pages on DR1. I have not connected DR1 to facebook or through FB.

Now if you play any games on FB you'd know what slow is ;) and many times I have to re start my PC or I get a blank page but I repeat I've never had a problem loading or turning pages on DR1.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I use Open DNS but occasionally have problems going through the Codetel pipeline.

Robert,
I am on a 3G wireless stick myself,
no problem.
I know friends who have that 3G wireless as a Prepaid thingy,
they are not satisfied with the services.
Mine is a 18 months contract and works fine since dec 2009.

Mike

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Don't know if this has any relation to the facebook thing but I have been experiencing issues editing photos in my albums. The site kept freezing when I loaded the pics and now I've ended up with doubles of some and every time I try to go edit them to delete the doubles, it freezes or boots me out.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Don't know if this has any relation to the facebook thing but I have been experiencing issues editing photos in my albums. The site kept freezing when I loaded the pics and now I've ended up with doubles of some and every time I try to go edit them to delete the doubles, it freezes or boots me out.
I have experienced this recently myself...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

you are talking about editing Fotoalbums on Facebook, right?
and it is the FB page that freezes in, not your Computer?
that's something I had quiet often before I stopped to use that site.
Mike

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In my case, the only time, DR1 takes times to load, it's usually because of ads.
Most of the times, it is fine though.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Gmail and Facebook load reasonably quickly.
DR1 and YouTube don't.

I'm a Claro "banda ancha" user - they should rename their service "retro dial-up".

Hear, hear!! :)

But I agree with Belgiank that since DR1 has hooked up with Facebook the speed has gone down, had the same experience with another forum who did that and they had the same complaints.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hear, hear!! :)

But I agree with Belgiank that since DR1 has hooked up with Facebook the speed has gone down, had the same experience with another forum who did that and they had the same complaints.

If you are logged in, then your account has ZERO connection with Facebook.
Even if your not logged in, all it pulls is a small image file.
The "Like" buttons are iframed, so should not cause any loading issues.

Please post the link to the other forum you're talking about, so I can go take a look.

Thanks.