Why is Tourism Minister removing Las Terrenas beach bars??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Susan, who did you hear this from? If you didn't see it in the news or one of the many sites, such as, LT7 or Las Terrenas Live, it is probably just street talk. Let me know.

S

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
Its the minster of Tourism destroying Tourism!

I just heard that ALL of Las Terrenas' beachfront bars are being removed by the Minister of Tourism, Elsa de Leon-- Does anyone have more details such as WHY they're being removed??

I have one of said beachbars. The first time we even heard of this was yesterday. we have been given 15 days notice to remove everythingfrom the beach. WE ARE NOT SQUATTERS! We pay rent, we pay taxes to the local goverment as do al the beach bars in question. One hand takes the money the other wants to knock you down? These are gorgeous beach bars, well kept, an enhancement to local tourism and not offensive to anybody. Of course they want to take the beach back to fulfil some master plan Im sure. I asked face to face with Elsa de Leon, why now in August? When we have a peak month of tourism and thousands of tourists watch the spectacle and she said" Youve been warned for a long time" I can swear we never had any notioce until yesterday. I asked Elsa de Leon "What happens to the hundred or so people you have just unemployed (all Dominicans) who will feed them and their families? Her reply I quote" the goverment has a social plan for that!"
Is she having a laugh???????????? We are trying to work together with our Dominican friends, neighbours and workers to improve this town for everybody , tell me how ruining our businesses helps anybody please?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Susan, I just went onto the Las Terrenas Live site and they did have a story about removing semi-permanent structures from the beach area. I don't think this means they are removing any permanent beach bars. Check out the story.

S

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
ITS not street talk I have the photos of yesterdays mindless destruction of Palapa beach bar and all along the beach! We have 15 days notice to remove the actual huts or else they will knock them down too.

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
Everything on the beach is being removed in 15 days. IO have my notice I know what it says. Else de leon wanst there to be no structures what so ever left on the beach. Yestetrday yiour right they only removed the semi permanent stuff like Palapas we have 15 days to clear the rest.

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
Not sure which dreamland you are living in but all the bars on Las
Terrenas beach have to close and be removed 15 days from now. We will unite and obviously be looking for some way to protect our businesses and the tourism of Las terrenas. Do we want Las Terrenas to be the resort and playground of wealthy Dominicans or do we want ot stay an International resort of high renown that the whole world can come and enjoy?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have one of said beachbars. The first time we even heard of this was yesterday. we have been given 15 days notice to remove everythingfrom the beach. WE ARE NOT SQUATTERS! We pay rent, we pay taxes to the local goverment as do al the beach bars in question. One hand takes the money the other wants to knock you down? These are gorgeous beach bars, well kept, an enhancement to local tourism and not offensive to anybody. Of course they want to take the beach back to fulfil some master plan Im sure. I asked face to face with Elsa de Leon, why now in August? When we have a peak month of tourism and thousands of tourists watch the spectacle and she said" Youve been warned for a long time" I can swear we never had any notioce until yesterday. I asked Elsa de Leon "What happens to the hundred or so people you have just unemployed (all Dominicans) who will feed them and their families? Her reply I quote" the goverment has a social plan for that!"
Is she having a laugh???????????? We are trying to work together with our Dominican friends, neighbours and workers to improve this town for everybody , tell me how ruining our businesses helps anybody please?

Worst timing ever ! August ! Unbelievable !

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
WE ARE NOT SQUATTERS! We pay rent, we pay taxes to the local goverment as do al the beach bars in question.
Granted you pay rent, but can you swear the landlord didn't erect an illegal structure on land he doesn't own? Not unheard of for a Dominican to rent or sell a property he didn't have legal right to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There is never a "good" time for something like this. I'm afraid belmont might be right.

To Ladygrady, I wish you luck, seriously.

AE

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
AlterEgo;997371[B said:
]There is never a "good" time for something like this[/B]. I'm afraid belmont might be right.

To Ladygrady, I wish you luck, seriously.

AE

I agree but there is better timing than the peak of tourist season in LT.

All the best, Ladygrady !

Ladygrady

Aug 2, 2011
Worst timing ever ! August ! Unbelievable !

Thank you, exactly! This is counter tourism. Elsa de Leon please tell me how this helps tourism? Would not communication and planning be a better solution than the random destruction of existing good businesses.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks Gordon !

I just hope that LT keeps its small town flavor and doesn't become Punta Cana clone (kinda selfish I know). I have a feeling it is the beginning of the end, but I hope I am wrong.

Can't wait to visit at the end of the year!

You hit the nail on the head.
Goodbye to the small village friendly feeling, hello overcrowded streets and higher prices.

Aug 19, 2004
A place like Las Terranas needs these bars - part of its identity. - Good luck ladygrady

Goodbye to the small village friendly feeling, hello overcrowded streets and higher prices.
I think that happened about 20 yeras ago.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
As the owner of a vacation rental home, I am FURIOUS about the destruction of these beachfront businesses. Our guests (and myself) love to walk the beach and stop for a "cold one" -- More importantly, however, is LadyGrady's observation that hundreds of locals will now be unemployed-- what insanity!
I will be in LT at the end of the month and can participate in a protest if anything is planned---or, I suppose, it will be too late by then?!!

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
This is loco!

We live in LT for six months of the year and love to eat and bring guests to these beach bars. They all love it as part of the Las Terrenas experience. The best fish to be eaten is at Mojitos where the friendly host makes sure everything is perfect. For the money it is the best restaurant in town. I feel sorry for all the employees and owners of all these places. They have tried very hard to make their businesses work. What about the beach bars at Alisei and Colibri and the new structure at Balcones? Are these destined to be destroyed as well.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Perhaps her aim is to make the area more family friendly. Many families dont like to hang around where bars are. Perhaps the existing business do not have the proper permission to operate. Maybe someone should ask the mayor what the reasons were.
Did hotels complain? Does she want her 10% ?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Perhaps her aim is to make the area more family friendly. Many families dont like to hang around where bars are. Perhaps the existing business do not have the proper permission to operate. Maybe someone should ask the mayor what the reasons were.
Did hotels complain? Does she want her 10% ?

Actually, As a traveling mom with 2 toddlers, I think that these bars are very convenient. I can't grab a bite, drink or ice cream for the kids while we're at the beach. Some have tables where we could sit and get some shades if needed. I found most of them to be very kids friendly.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I agree Africaida. We have never found anything offensive to us or anything that would be troublesome to our grandchildren at the beach bars. It has got to be something else. I, for one, am having a very difficult time understanding the reason behind this action. Returning tourists and residents are going to miss the good food and good times they had at these restaurants. New tourists will not know what they have missed. I guess there will be something else to do, the next step in making Las Terrenas more upscale, less authentic and probably more expensive.

Last edited: