Why is Tourism Minister removing Las Terrenas beach bars??

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
well tonydomrep, with that being the case, it is the businesses and drama queens on the beach that are accelerating this show and are going to drive the tourists away, not the Dominican people that want to improve this beautiful area.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
with that being the case... at this moment the bars and beaches are full. Everybody is drinking his beer. Its sat 30 minutes past 4 in the afternoon

For sure there are some discussions. Like always there are. In whatever country. Which discussions... who knows. My point is, which is for me the most important.

Every beachbar at Punta Popi is open, working running and everybody can enjoy the same as before.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
it is just that most discussions I have been involved with elsewhere do not involve such a high intensity of BS. It is like normal fun BS piled 10X high some of it with detrimental ramifications and sometimes it just feels like you cannot get out from under it. On one hand I am so happy that everything is back to normal, but because of the high level of BS I have stopped enjoying it for myself a long time ago. For those that choose to attend, and are new to town, be on a high level of alert if it includes your personal finances at any level.
Tonydomrep have a drink or two for me!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
it is something that there is a lot of in some places, leaves a really bad after taste, and runny so it spreads all over the place, and sometimes you step in it accidently. It is why cowboys wear high boots. the pointed boots and spurs are to get back at the deliverer if required.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Back to the future......

I hope this is truly resolved.....
we have one favourite little beach place - with no supporting kitchen across the main road - I never knew its name.

Its a nice blue, blue/green color w/ a little porch and unbrellas, very close to the shoreline.
Not as far out of town as Balcones.

Fantastic food and wonderful, friendly service.

I hope it survives.....

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
this evening there was a giant barbeque stand all set up on the beach and a whole pig waiting patiently on a spit nearby. everything will survive and possibly improve.

rfrettig

Apr 20, 2012
Hello all!

Brief introduction--my wife and I are interested in a complete change of lifestyle and are searching commercial properties, namely quaint open air bars on the north coast. Last summer we got married in Punta Cana and spent a week in Santo Domingo as well; however, did not make it to the north coast--a shame. We are looking for a mix of tourist/local/expat, but not at all interested in the major touristy areas. We are teachers so we are not wealthy, nor are we looking to get rich quick. We want to "live the dream" and are ready and willing to work hard to enjoy the island lifestyle.

There is a property currently for sale @320K USD in LT that has two apartments above. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it do well? Does the average bar owner/operator in LT do well enough to support a comfortable lifestyle?

What about if it were a leasehold and not an owner, as this is all new to me, does the leaseholder do ok?

Any help you can offer is much appreciated, thanks and well wishes!

Roberto and Celeste

Oct 28, 2011
You really need to check the LT area yourselves before making a decision. It is pretty hot and humid, and tourism is mostly Dominican. Of course there are many Europeans living there, and some visitors year round but not like in Punta Cana. There are many beautiful homes and businesses for sale and not that many buyers. Spend at least six months to see if it is for you and best wishes! Michele

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Milk, Cheese, etc.

Brief introduction--my wife and I are interested in a complete change of lifestyle and are searching commercial properties, namely quaint open air bars on the north coast.

Wow, what a change in interests.
My last information was, that you wanted to go into farming, hairloom farming that is.*

{BTE, I probably know the establishment you are mentioning, vacant at the moment.
Like many others... }

donP

*)
If you are still into that, you can milk our cows, make yoghurt, cheese... all that you have wanted to do...
Do you know how to milk?
OK, let me talk to my cows... ;)

Also, I can give you about 100 tareas (You know what a tarea is, right?) to farm on.
As you are willing to work hard, which is good.

Webbum

Sep 16, 2011
You really need to check the LT area yourselves before making a decision. It is pretty hot and humid, and tourism is mostly Dominican. Of course there are many Europeans living there, and some visitors year round but not like in Punta Cana. There are many beautiful homes and businesses for sale and not that many buyers. Spend at least six months to see if it is for you and best wishes! Michele

Ladygrady glad things worked out for you! I had a similar experience years ago but with a bad ending. Michele Jimenez D do you have any listings for the many businesses for sale in LT area?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, its the sort of place that people invest a little, retire a few years later with $$$$ after much hard work; yes there is a turnover as might be expected as Las Terrenas expands exponentially.

pi2

donP

Dec 14, 2008
High Fluctuation of Business Owners

(...) people invest a little, retire a few years later with $$$$ after much hard work (...)

I counted 4 $ and that could very well be the truth. :classic:

yes there is a turnover as might be expected as Las Terrenas (...)

If the yield on turnover was sufficient then there would not be such a high turnover (= fluctuation)
of owners / renters of the businesses in Las Terrenas.

donP

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I counted 4 $ and that could very well be the truth. :classic:

If the yield on turnover was sufficient then there would not be such a high turnover (= fluctuation)
of owners / renters of the businesses in Las Terrenas.

donP

Many businesses have been going for years - for example two bakeries.

Of course it is relatively cheap to live in LT while ramping up the business. I noticed 1 br apartments etc. for 6,000, 8,000 pesos a month in central LT advertised in LT7. 8,000 is about $200 dollars a month. High expense on utilities is not required as a/c is only very rarely necessary. Food is very reasonably priced compared with the US.

I think there is already one poodle clipping parlour ( caring for other four legged friends too ) and no competition.

Fluctuation also on the South coast of England. Typically a couple reach 55-60 and pensions have not kicked in as they normally do at 65. The start a business with a portion of their savings and and run it till pensions are available then they sell the business, see the World etc. etc.

This makes for turnover of businesses.

Typically in France however pensions kick in at 50-55 and and pensioners well backed by pensions look for a ,hobby-business,. These businesses in France often carry on for years and different members of the extended family share in running the business. Many French abroard have strong links with France or the French islands and they like the French medical services etc. They are inclined to return to their roots and sell a business abroard after relatively few years having enjoyed a fantastic lifestyle in places like LT.

pi2

pi2

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pan de Antes

Many businesses have been going for years - for example two bakeries.
The French owners of one of the bakeries went back to France; they sold the bakery to a Dominican lady.
Let's see ...

Have you followed the story of the Belgian gentleman who opened a business on main street?

donP