Why is Tourism Minister removing Las Terrenas beach bars??

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I used to live in a small town in France - there were two bakeries - rather than compete they arranged days when one would be closed and the other open.

The two bakeries I kno have been open for in excess of 7 years in LT. Perhaps one will eventually be the stronger contender.

Also to factor in that you can open a business and keep it running for a year from $5,000 not counting the owners labor but including rent of premises.

In France , for any seaside town, a minimum of $30,000 would see you through the first year including rents, insurances, heating etc. etc.

So perhaps there are some under financed businesses started by gringos in areas of DR such as LT. Also some people just get bored and the sum of money involved is not that large. I think that happened to a German who used to have a bicycle selling savory snacks, quite good they were, round the bars of Sanchez. Soldl the bike, the cooking pots and returned to Germany?

Some years ago I was offered a seafront bar premises in Sosua for $40,000. Now I believe they are worth much more.

Anyone with bright idea, for example a Mongolian restaurant can test the market in the DR quite easily for low outlay.

The Mongolian Barbeque

pi2.

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Other good motivation I have encountered in LT to start a business:

Waiting for the right contract in Germany or Switzerland. Manager of a restaurant etc. in the Caribb looks so much better than twiddling the thumbs.

Gaining practical experience before applying for an international job.

Naturally both these reasons contribute to turnover of businesses in LT since if the person has got it slightly right he is closing the business and off earning the Euros or Francs within a year or so. In some parts of Germany just now unemployment is under 3% as economies boom.

pi2

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Many businesses have been going for years - for example two bakeries.

Of course it is relatively cheap to live in LT while ramping up the business. I noticed 1 br apartments etc. for 6,000, 8,000 pesos a month in central LT advertised in LT7. 8,000 is about $200 dollars a month. High expense on utilities is not required as a/c is only very rarely necessary. Food is very reasonably priced compared with the US.

I think there is already one poodle clipping parlour ( caring for other four legged friends too ) and no competition.

Fluctuation also on the South coast of England. Typically a couple reach 55-60 and pensions have not kicked in as they normally do at 65. The start a business with a portion of their savings and and run it till pensions are available then they sell the business, see the World etc. etc.

This makes for turnover of businesses.

Typically in France however pensions kick in at 50-55 and and pensioners well backed by pensions look for a ,hobby-business,. These businesses in France often carry on for years and different members of the extended family share in running the business. Many French abroard have strong links with France or the French islands and they like the French medical services etc. They are inclined to return to their roots and sell a business abroard after relatively few years having enjoyed a fantastic lifestyle in places like LT.

pi2

pi2

I have seen a turnover of at least three waves of French retirees in LT .. who did just that.. had pensions.. came here for a time, started the little cafe, or pizzeria, got the vilas.. then started to ENJOY their retirements... with the locals.. and at the bar at 10 starting on the wine...

now, there is a good backbone for the French in LT

They have a wonderful .. completely accredited French education system here. And. as noted./. Most are still covered by French insurance.. Many have family property back in France and will return there for their final days. It is a VERY good set up for the French.

Most of the North Americans.. and Italians.. and Germans.. are here to stay.

The issue that the OP had about the beach bars.. was.. I believe a directive related to the INTERPOL sweep last year. I think that the actions were directed against the owner of THAT particular bar.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Beach bar problems seem to have gone away. Two Americans run a successful bar/restaurant on the beach.

LT has been experiencing steady growth over the years and new roads / infrastructure can only make it more attractive.

Turnover of businesses is only to be expected for the reasons stated above.

It is also a beutiful and economical place to live.

pi2

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Beach bar problems seem to have gone away. Two Americans run a successful bar/restaurant on the beach.

LT has been experiencing steady growth over the years and new roads / infrastructure can only make it more attractive.

Turnover of businesses is only to be expected for the reasons stated above.

It is also a beutiful and economical place to live.

pi2

I am shocked that you gave Americans credit for hard work

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I am shocked that you gave Americans credit for hard work

I never said the bulk of Americans do not work hard.

Members of congress and tycoons in their yachts - a different matter.....

pi2

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Yes, many in U.S. are big tycoons in yachts. some tycoons are bigger than their yachts:

not only TYcoons, in U.S. have yachts, also many RAcoons as well:

imgres

many racoons are not good sailors, must take seamanship lessons, maybe available as homeschooling. Racoons not allowed in schools.

imgres

Pi3

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Rocket raccoon has taken over the US - and CG.!!!!!

[video=youtube;4hDjttNGgYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDjttNGgYA[/video]

pi2