Wifi Spots -- list 'em

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
BAMullins said:
I would be willing to list these sites on www.accessairwifi.com. I also offer a marketing package for hotspots, but a cheaper or free listing might be in the works as well!

Brian
Not accessable for systems without the latest version of x and the latest version of y and for people who protect their system with Javascript and flashblockers.

Not really userfriendly, sorry to say that.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
here's a new one for you from San Pedro

DunHill said:
Not accessable for systems without the latest version of x and the latest version of y and for people who protect their system with Javascript and flashblockers.

Not really userfriendly, sorry to say that.

The Jumbo mall, you can sit and eat pizza at Domino. No key needed, free wireless for all.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
where is the jumbo mall?

jellylegs2002 said:
where is the jumbo mall?

Hipermercado JUMBO
Ciudad: San Pedro de Macoris

( 3 Diciembre 2004 )

El Hipermercado JUMBO, con una superficie de 5,000 mts2, forma el segundo de la parte este y el tercero del pa?s. Est? ubicado en Luis Amiama Tio No. 104, en San Pedro de Macoris. Rep?blica Dominicana.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Playa Dorada Area

Right by the gates to Playa Dorada is Field of Dreams Bar & Rest.
Free WI-FI if you take a drink or something.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
updated the list

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/wifi.html

I will have to break it up into seperate pages soon. It is great to see WIFI becoming more readily available in the DR. Hopefully soon broadband will be available in smaller towns as well.

I need to add sections for Juan Dolio, Puerto Plata, Cabarete and San Pedro. heck now that I know san pedro has a wifi hotspot I may spend a few days there in the winter. Great place to see a ball game.

OK, I went ahead and broke the WIFI section into seperate pages for each town or city.

When I first started listing wifi hotspots there were THREE all in santo domingo. I can see wifi starting to take off in the DR. It is great for ex pats or people that need to tele commute etc.

Last edited:

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
DunHill said:
Juan Dolio
Plaza Oasis- 250mW
Feed is with Satellite Internet

1 - omnidirectional local antenna
1 - 24Db Beam to Metro complex
(next beam to Guayacanes)

Still free

Update on this:
It is not free anymore

Coverage:
Plaza Oasis > From Shell till Police Station (till Carwash)
Metro Country club, west and centre
Guavaberry, private villa area
Los Conucos

and more spots to come (Metro, Capella area)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Area Update

Update on this:
It is not free anymore

Coverage:
Plaza Oasis > From Shell till Police Station (till Carwash)
Metro Country club, west and centre
Guavaberry, private villa area
Los Conucos

and more spots to come (Metro, Capella area)

Latest coverage HotSpot-Dunhill wifi network

Mar del Sol - 1 spot (area behind gas station)
Plaza Oasis - 4 spots
Plaza Chocolate - 1 spot
Metro country club - 4 spots
Los Conucos - 1 spot
Guavaberry - 3 spots
Costa del Sol - 3 spots
Julia's Cafe - 1 spot

And in between, several other locations, to fill the gaps between the main spots

Arjan

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
two hotspots in Bella Vista Mall, Santo Domingo: Verizon for the whole plaza and Make Up center 3rd floor.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
This thread has been quiet for some time. Any new wifi hotspots in Santo Domingo? Do those listed here still work, accesible for the general public? The Jaragua lobby, the UNIBE library? What about the other universities?

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Hadn't seen this thread before.

There are at least five open wifi's on Cabarete beach. Onno's has been around for over a year at least. I noticed a router on O'Shays and they have a little card saying they have wifi. The windsurf place east of Onno's is open but when I tried to use it, found it unreliable. Further to the east of the beach, there is a bar that has loads of shells and pictures on the wall of London and Taj Mahal etc, (anyone know it's name?) They have a good signal. Either Lax or Casanova (can't remember which) have a wifi but the signal isn't great. Most of the centre of Cabarete, you can pick wifi up from the beach. When my friend visited, he brought a pocket pc and made Skype calls from the beach.

Marlene's, as previously mentioned, the router broke around last April. By my December trip, I had stopped even trying to see if they'd fixed it (shame, I used to go there for breakfast when it was working!) Still have a wifi sign but I'd be surprised if they have got around to fixing it.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Puerto Plata

Playa Dorada - Hemmingways

Just outside Playa Dorada on highroad heading into town - Cafe cito

As mentioned before - Field Of Dreams.....opposite the second entrance to Playa Dorada

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
THe Fun Royale - Tropicale Resort in Playa Dorada is now boasting 85 % resort Wi Fi coverage! SO if you are coming to the resort bring your laptop! They are also the first resort offering VOIP long distance cell phone rentals for guests. They are priced at $50 US and come with up to 3 1/2 hours of long distance talk time. A far cry better then the usual long distance options here.