Wifi Spots -- list 'em

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Fyi:

Not wanting to scare the you know what outta you all, but I think reading this won't hurt:

From yahoo news:

Hop into Starbucks or an airport terminal and you may find yourself tempted by the inexpensive Wi-Fi service offered. Fire up your computer, browse the wireless networks available, and maybe you'll jump on a network named "tmobile" or "wayport" or some other common name among Wi-Fi service providers. Sure enough, your browser pulls up a page asking for your credit card information... or maybe you'll find yourself with "free" access to the internet. Surprise: You might have just been punk'd by a hacker.
Such is the case of the "evil twin" hotspot, a rising danger for users who rely on public hotspots for internet access. The trick is simple: A hacker just creates a hotspot with the same name (or a very similar one) as a legitimate hotspot nearby, hoping to dupe web surfers into connecting to the hacker hotspot instead of the legitimate one. The goal is the usual fare: Collect user names, passwords, credit card numbers. All the good stuff.

The Los Angeles Times notes that such lookalike networks are on the rise, and though this scam has been around for many years, it seems to be rising in popularity. My hunch? Wireless routers have better range than ever before, and it's practically child's play to set up a harvesting web site to dupe people into giving up their personal information. And since your laptop will automatically connect to any network you've connected to in the past (Windows thinks any network named "linksys" is the same network no matter where you go), people can be duped by evil twin hotspots without ever knowing it.

So what can you do about it? Sadly, not a lot, and all that security software on your laptop won't help you one bit if you willingly connect to one of these hotspots. As with most scams, diligence is your best ally: Learn what legitimate hotspot web pages look like. Hackers rarely make a perfect copy. If you encounter anything out of the ordinary, disconnect from the hotspot immediately. Tell the manager of the establishment you're trying to connect to, that something funny is going on. They may not do anything about it, but hopefully they'll call the cops and encourage them to track down the signal.

It couldn't be long until somebody would come up with a little idea like this one.
Move yourselves acordingly... ;) (Eg... cautiously), as scams seem to be on thing which is never under developed here, just as anywhere else.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Fyi:

Well, bravo J-D! Welcome to the club. It seems I finally found out how in all havens some of you manage to double post 8(

Sorreee, I swear I will never, never again re-post if I can't seem to see my post.

... J-D.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
To answer my own question, yes the UNIBE library and plaza wifi points work fine, as well as that of Conde-Parque hotel in the Zona Colonial. Both in Santo Domingo

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Downtown Puerto Plata

Sams Bar and Grill on the main street or down towards the Ocean from Central Park has just installed free WI-FI,
I believe its now the first in downtown POP.
Welcome to the 21st century Sams................

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Wifi

To answer my own question, yes the UNIBE library and plaza wifi points work fine, as well as that of Conde-Parque hotel in the Zona Colonial. Both in Santo Domingo

Palace hotel,off el conde...I have been using their signal now for a week or so,and it is great...as I live right next to the hotel...am getting rid of Verizon internet tomorrow...
bob

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Some of these are probably already listed, but in Cabarete:

Claro (small restaurant in front of Hotel El Magnifico and Casa Blanca) need login/password - it's free, just ask...best signal if at the table closest to the driveway as router is at El Magnifico

Windsurf Resort (great breakfast and lunch specials, can sit by the pool) good connection, strong signal

Ali's Surf Camp in Pro Cab

Onno's on the beach - good connection, strong signal

several other restaurants on the beach - just look for the WiFi Zone sign or ask - Bambu, Casanova, Lax, etc.

Marlene's Bistro across from Banco BHD (may not have it anymore)

Le Terraza (I think that's the name) - second floor restaurant just west of HexenKessel (German Pizza place on "main street")

Cafe/Lobby at Hotel Kaoba

Beach Cafe at Agualina

Beach Cafe at Extreme Hotel

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can vouch that the Wi-fi at SDQ's AILA departure lounge is alive and kicking. :)

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Captain Steve restaurant in Luperon has internet. Not wifi, but you can connect your own computer. Free if you are drinking or eating.

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
Some of these are probably already listed, but in Cabarete:

Claro (small restaurant in front of Hotel El Magnifico and Casa Blanca) need login/password - it's free, just ask...best signal if at the table closest to the driveway as router is at El Magnifico

Windsurf Resort (great breakfast and lunch specials, can sit by the pool) good connection, strong signal

Ali's Surf Camp in Pro Cab

Onno's on the beach - good connection, strong signal

several other restaurants on the beach - just look for the WiFi Zone sign or ask - Bambu, Casanova, Lax, etc.

Marlene's Bistro across from Banco BHD (may not have it anymore)

Le Terraza (I think that's the name) - second floor restaurant just west of HexenKessel (German Pizza place on "main street")

Cafe/Lobby at Hotel Kaoba

Beach Cafe at Agualina

Beach Cafe at Extreme Hotel

Add Martini's Beach Bar & Grill to the Cabarete list, they are locoated on the grounds of Cabarete East. Breakfast/lunch/dinner, happy hours too!
www.martinisbeachbar.com

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
THe Fun Royale - Tropicale Resort in Playa Dorada is now boasting 85 % resort Wi Fi coverage! SO if you are coming to the resort bring your laptop! They are also the first resort offering VOIP long distance cell phone rentals for guests. They are priced at $50 US and come with up to 3 1/2 hours of long distance talk time. A far cry better then the usual long distance options here.

wifi costs 7 dollars / hour there.
AZB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Venus bar and grill

Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo (El Conde en Zona Colonial)

Venus bar and grill on Palo Hincado, and I believe the new Discovery Hotel. On Independencia

C

Chip00

La Campagna Stgo

La Campagna in Stgo has them at the one in Los Jardines and it's speed is pretty good.

I'm not sure if the one on JP duarte has it though.

It's a great place to eat breakfast and read the news and emails from work.