Wifi Spots -- list 'em

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I've always thought that there was Wifi at the Plaza Internacional in Santiago. I don't know for sure, but I always see someone with their laptop out in the food court...I suppose they could just be fooling around on their computers, but I always assumed they were taking advantage of an internet connection.
Can anyone actually confirm this?

Jan 21, 2006
Wi-Fi

Las Terrenas: Alisei Hotel

La Vega: El Naranjo Restaurant

La Vega: Hipermercado Centro (not that there is any room to take advantage of it - at the 4 seater cafeteria)

La Vega: Undotre - Restaurant/Bar in Plaza Michelle

Santiago: Plaza International does have wi-fi on the upper level, but I believe it is supposed to be a pay for service, because I keep seeing people entering orange and walking out with a receipt then entering something in their computer. I just connected and entered (15) 0's as the WEP access key and connected fine.

Almost all of the businesses in Cabarete has wi-fi due to the fact that it is HOW they connect. There is a provider that is providing internet through a satellite I believe (they have it wired to the antenna on top of supermercado albertico) and most of the businesses have subscribed to him - I am not sure exactly on the set up - but since he has begun the service - almost every company (Onnos, Lax, Hotels) all offer that internet service.

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Santo Domingo :

There is a restaurant on El Conde between Isabel La Catholica and Las Damas that advertises WiFi but it was not working when I checked it out today.

If you are sitting in the main square 2 mins NW of that where all the resturants are you can pick up a signal there. Rita's Cafe next to Pate Palo seems to be the best signal.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Around El Conde in Santo Domingo there's loads of wifi points now.
Mercure hotel, the Pizzarelli restaurant, Anacaona Restaurant at Plaza Colon, Rita's Cafe at Plaza Espa?a, Conde-Parque hotel near Plaza Independencia.

Oh, and for the Jaragua hotel lobby, metioned earlier, that signal is not free, they want you to pay if I remember correct US$12 for 24 hours.

garyOPA

Sep 20, 2007
If you are in the area of "30 de Mayo" in Barahona, you are more than
welcome to use our own WiFi running "free-open" from our gaming store.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Unrelated

Can anyone tell me websites for info on wireless connection via laptop by the card you insert.

I would prefer in in English but if not - so be it.

I need to know tariff amounts - connection charges, and connection speeds.

thank in advance

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can anyone tell me websites for info on wireless connection via laptop by the card you insert.

I would prefer in in English but if not - so be it.

I need to know tariff amounts - connection charges, and connection speeds.

thank in advance
If you mean in the DR, forget it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
on the east coast, Punta Cana/Bavaro:
* Cap Cana
* Steve's Corner Bar(Esquina Picante) at the Plaza Bavaro
* Punta Cana Marina at the Punta Cana Resort & Club
* Las Lenas Cafe, at Friusa in Bavaro
Mike

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Misprint?

I guess t`s a misprint?
Just yesterday while waiting at Rocky`s for oven-baked pasta with pepperoni ($200 RD) I tried to check my mail on my laptop. VAIO did not find any connection and a waitress told us to go on a PC on the next table or wait until the dueno wakes up a las cinco. In the final bill was included a separate charge for Internet use. And funny enough, for 1 hour 10 minutes online the charge was "two hours".
Not a big deal, just a small dominican deal.
Pasta was good.
Thank you.

Rocky's - Sosua
Playa Vista Beach Bar - Boca Chica

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I guess t`s a misprint?
Just yesterday while waiting at Rocky`s for oven-baked pasta with pepperoni ($200 RD) I tried to check my mail on my laptop. VAIO did not find any connection and a waitress told us to go on a PC on the next table or wait until the dueno wakes up a las cinco. In the final bill was included a separate charge for Internet use. And funny enough, for 1 hour 10 minutes online the charge was "two hours".
Not a big deal, just a small dominican deal.
Pasta was good.
Thank you.
If I may.
It sounds like you were overcharged for your internet service and we do keep time logs on our bills.
We will gladly refund you the 30 pesos if it is applicable.

FYI: We do have free wifi here. It is not a misprint.
In fact, we started it.
Nobody but nobody had free wifi around here when we first started offering the service.
Of course, everybody had to keep up with the Jones, and one by one, most bars in town copied us, except for the free electricity we also provide.
That being said, in order to assure excellent service to all, we have an invisible signal which requires me to configure each machine once.
After that, the puter will be able to find the signal each time you are within range.
There are many advantages to this.
We will not provide the service to folks who want to do heavy downloads, as it would slow everybody else's service down.
As I am the only one who does the initial configuration, I advise the folks of the "download" rule.
The net result is this.
It requires adapting to my schedule, AM or evenings for the initial configuration, but from that point on, you are pretty much guaranteed better surfing here than anywhere else in town, not to mention being able to plug in, enabling a person to work/play on his/her puter as long as he/she pleases.
No purchases are required.
This is the only true FREE internet service in town.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Very cool! I did not know about the configuration thing.
Anyway my post was not meant to paint one of my favourite eating spots in black.
I like Rocky`s and it rules.

Pasta was great. Chill!
If I may.
It sounds like you were overcharged for your internet service and we do keep time logs on our bills.
We will gladly refund you the 30 pesos if it is applicable.

FYI: We do have free wifi here. It is not a misprint.
In fact, we started it.
Nobody but nobody had free wifi around here when we first started offering the service.
Of course, everybody had to keep up with the Jones, and one by one, most bars in town copied us, except for the free electricity we also provide.
That being said, in order to assure excellent service to all, we have an invisible signal which requires me to configure each machine once.
After that, the puter will be able to find the signal each time you are within range.
There are many advantages to this.
We will not provide the service to folks who want to do heavy downloads, as it would slow everybody else's service down.
As I am the only one who does the initial configuration, I advise the folks of the "download" rule.
The net result is this.
It requires adapting to my schedule, AM or evenings for the initial configuration, but from that point on, you are pretty much guaranteed better surfing here than anywhere else in town, not to mention being able to plug in, enabling a person to work/play on his/her puter as long as he/she pleases.
No purchases are required.
This is the only true FREE internet service in town.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Very cool! I did not know about the configuration thing.
Anyway my post was not meant to paint one of my favourite eating spots in black.
I like Rocky`s and it rules.

Pasta was great. Chill!
Kool.
I didn't think you were painting it black and it gave me an opportunity to explain why we do it the way we do.
I hate surfing the net with a slow signal, as do most people, so this way we keep things blistering fast.