Will Cuba opening its doors to USA affect DR tourism ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012

Cuba has at least for now. Old world attraction. That is what will be its bigest asset. When that wears off it will be just another vacation place. People want to see the past relive the adventure of the stars. The D.R. has never had that so in this area their is no compition. The D.R. once had a beautyfull Colonial Zone. that was destroyed by one woman. I hope Cuba does not ask her for help with the future.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In response, at present Havana does not have one 4 star hotel but a few could be renovated. Already on a few beaches a few of the international companies have 3 or 4 star resorts . In relation to the building of real 5 star resorts as good as the best in Punta Cana , I doubt if Cuba itself will build them and I dare say that one or two international companies such as Marriot or Hilton or Barcelo may build a resort with golf course and beach to attract the crowd you mention but this would not challenge the position held in Punta Cana with so many places such as Hard Rock, Punta Cana Resort or Cap Cana or even IberoStar and Casa de Campo

it is called a work in progress. you seem to forget that when the DR got into the tourism business, it was no great shakes, either. you did not have all the greatest hotels to brag about. go to Sosua and look at that abortion called Sun Bay, which has been defunct for decades, which they are trying to sell to a sucker. the thing looks like a comedian tried to build an army barracks, and failed. go look at that other joke in Costambar. same deal. at least Cuba is not starting from scratch, and has educated, dedicated, disciplined people to advance the tourist industry. the money will come in for the AI construction, and if they price it the way the DR does, you will get competition. you sound like a guy whistling past a graveyard.

the other thing is that, as Meemselle and 4 4 4 have said, when people go to Cuba they are going to Cuba. people go there because they want to see CUBA. half the people who go to te DR do not even know the name of the country. they think it is Punta Cana.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When the flood gates open to direct US investment there should be a mad rush to secure property, development rights and whatever licenses/permits will be required. Over time, new construction will increase, renovations of existing properties will be done. Not a quick process for sure.

Where we will probably see the biggest immediate impact is the opening of service type establishments. McDonald's, KFC, rental car companies, a Hard Rock Cafe, that type of thing. Then will come the retail stores, automobile dealerships and the progressive march towards turning Cuba into a clone of anywhere USA. Due to Cuba's proximity to the US, I expect US companies will enjoy a significant export advantage over countries further away. Branching out into the Cuban market will be hard to resist for for the "profits above all else crowd".

There is currently a stark absence of international goods and services available in Cuba compared to the DR. Here in the DR, SD/Santiago seem to get all the mainstream Intl fast food places and product offerings due to the need for an expansive customer base to support such operations. In Cuba, there is nothing, so I think there will be a mad rush on the part of businesses to secure locations and future opportunities. The DR will continue to plod along as it has for years. The economic conditions here in the DR are what they are and what they have have always been.

Cuba is new territory with nothing but opportunity which may or may not work for any given business model. That country won't change overnight, but billboards announcing {insert company name here} coming to this location sometime, should pop up like weeds. It will be hard for companies to resist securing a position in the new Cuban market because they know, "he who pauses is lost", and if they don't act quickly, their competitors will. Delay results in lost opportunity, apparently a cardinal sin in a money grubbing market place even if it does destroy the historic allure of that market place in the process.

As happens here in the DR, not all new service sector businesses will survive the long term, but they will try because that's what companies do.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Where we will probably see the biggest immediate impact is the opening of service type establishments. McDonald's, KFC, rental car companies, a Hard Rock Cafe, that type of thing. Then will come the retail stores, automobile dealerships and the progressive march towards turning Cuba into a clone of anywhere USA.
Branching out into the Cuban market will be hard to resist for for the "profits above all else crowd".

We'll know capitalism has truly arrived when Fidel's cigar is no longer coupled with drab military fatigues but rather, lightly toned linens, a broad winning smile and the new rallying cry, "Nuestros precios son LOCOS!!!"

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So, update!

Since Obama is visiting to "OPEN" Cuba to US tourists, now we'll see who was right and who was wrong on their assessment of the impact this would have to the DR's own tourism industry!

Cruise ships, Hotels, etc... We'll see the death of the DR tourism some of the posters assured was on the books for the DR with an open Cuba to USA average people.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So, update!

Since Obama is visiting to "OPEN" Cuba to US tourists, now we'll see who was right and who was wrong on their assessment of the impact this would have to the DR's own tourism industry!

Cruise ships, Hotels, etc... We'll see the death of the DR tourism some of the posters assured was on the books for the DR with an open Cuba to USA average people.

First, it took about 30 years for DR tourism to get to this point. Cuba will not be a threat anytime soon. They have little infrustructure, poor technology and no resources at this point. A lot depends on what the Cuban Government wants. I

don't think they are going to roll over for all this development without their control of everything. Many companies are not going to invest in a country where their return on investment is questionable. I watched the CNN program on Cuba and

there are many similarities between Cuba and the DR. There are also many differences. One huge difference is that the average Cuban makes $20us per month. The average Dominican makes $300-400 per month. Cuba is not going to change

anytime soon. It will be gradual and take years.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
LT, I don't think it's gonna take that long. The delegation accompanying Obama is a very large one and there's a lot riding on this mission.
In secret there have been dealings and negotiations to set this mission up for a long time already. The next steps are already taking place to open up Cuba and I reckon Obama would like to have that as his legacy to be the one who opened up Cuba just like Reagan and the fall of the Soviet Union.
In addition the Cubans are much smarter than the Dominicans ;)

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
LT, I don't think it's gonna take that long. The delegation accompanying Obama is a very large one and there's a lot riding on this mission.
In secret there have been dealings and negotiations to set this mission up for a long time already. The next steps are already taking place to open up Cuba and I reckon Obama would like to have that as his legacy to be the one who opened up Cuba just like Reagan and the fall of the Soviet Union.

Smart how, just wondering!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Having diplomatic relations is the first step. The Cuban Gov wants this but they will not give up their control of the population to big corportations from Europe and the US.
A lot of what Obama is doing in the last few days is a dog and pony show. Everyone is smiling and shaking hands. Get real. Raul Castro is not going anywhere anytime
soon. Unless he changes his thinking it wil be a very slow transition in Cuba. Don't hold your breath. If Cubans are so smart than why are they living like this?

Jun 18, 2007
Having diplomatic relations is the first step. The Cuban Gov wants this but they will not give up their control of the population to big corportations from Europe and the US.
A lot of what Obama is doing in the last few days is a dog and pony show. Everyone is smiling and shaking hands. Get real. Raul Castro is not going anywhere anytime
soon. Unless he changes his thinking it wil be a very slow transition in Cuba. Don't hold your breath. If Cubans are so smart than why are they living like this?

I believe he knows he can't fight change anymore but wants to go out with his head high that's why this dog and pony show.
Don't blame the way they're living on the Cubans. If there wouldn't have been an embargo IMHO Castro would have been booted out a long time ago.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I believe he knows he can't fight change anymore but wants to go out with his head high that's why this dog and pony show.
Don't blame the way they're living on the Cubans. If there wouldn't have been an embargo IMHO Castro would have been booted out a long time ago.

When Communism fell Cuban leaders weren't smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall. You really think that a people stuck in the 60s are ready to move forward?
Maybe but again the DR is light years ahead. Do you think the average American who won't leave the a-i is really that interested in Cuba? I doubt it.

Jun 18, 2007
When Communism fell Cuban leaders weren't smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall. You really think that a people stuck in the 60s are ready to move forward?
Maybe but again the DR is light years ahead. Do you think the average American who won't leave the a-i is really that interested in Cuba? I doubt it.

Time will tell who is right ;)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Cubans are educated in the sense they can read and write, just like the North Koreans. They are told what to think. Dominicans may not have easy access to schools, but they have freedom and can own their own real estate , business and move about freely. Cuba is so far behind, it will be 25 years before they have anything close to freedom and will not be considered as a vacation to Americans with money for decades. The Cubans are still literally killing themselves to get to the States

Jun 18, 2007
Cubans are educated in the sense they can read and write, just like the North Koreans. They are told what to think. Dominicans may not have easy access to schools, but they have freedom and can own their own real estate , business and move about freely. Cuba is so far behind, it will be 25 years before they have anything close to freedom and will not be considered as a vacation to Americans with money for decades. The Cubans are still literally killing themselves to get to the States

So are Dominicans so what's your point?
Have you been to Cuba and spoken to the people? I have and I see the difference between the 2 nations, if you don't you're blind.
Cubans invent in order to make their lives better, the Dominican just looks for the easiest way.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The majority of my European friends have visited Cuba in the past couple of years. I suspect there are lots of Americans who would like to visit not an AI but Havana.....to experience life like it used to be.

I love the place but then I am Irish and easy to please.

Status
Not open for further replies.