Word of the day

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Learn a new word in Spanish every day with an example of usage of the word in a phrase.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 1- beso

Tip- for beginners the word of the day will help you increase your vocabulary day by day, listen to the pronunciation of the word in the link and see an example of usage in a sentence.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is the flashcard section of this website (with audio for most words). Once again it is a good study option for beginners and educators of Spanish. All vocabulary is thematic meaning by topic which is one of the recommended ways to study vocabulary.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 2- desamparo

I think this is a good word to know as well as the synonyms- abandono, soledad, indigencia

It is an everyday word and you will run into it in literature meaning book writing for sure.

Meaning- abandonment, helplessness, neglect

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Aug 2- desamparo

I think this is a good word to know as well as the synonyms- abandono, soledad, indigencia

It is an everyday word and you will run into it in literature meaning book writing for sure.

Meaning- abandonment, helplessness, neglect

Also, all these words are a challenge to translate. I often see texts where the translator gets them wrong.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Today, I learned the adj berrinchudo/a

Read it in those internet dichos and had to look it up i.e. Someone that get annoyed easily and in the case of the child spoiled.

Good observation and new for me too but my instinct tells me it is local. Do you know where the person is from? I am thinking Central America or Mexico.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Also, all these words are a challenge to translate. I often see texts where the translator gets them wrong.

The usage of desamparo and the possible meaning it has is based on context and nuance. Since I read in Spanish I see it a lot in literature and the diffrent meanings the word can have with uniqueness per se.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Good observation and new for me too but my instinct tells me it is local. Do you know where the person is from? I am thinking Central America or Mexico.

The person who posted is from DR. But, it could veyr well be from Central America as it was one of there internet saying already written.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
August 4- acceder a

It is good that the online dictionary has the preposition that follows the verb. It is best to learn it this way so that it becomes habit and you don’t get stuck when speaking trying to figure out what preposition follows the verb. The same concept exists in English. The grammar topic is phrasal verbs.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
August 4- acceder a

It is good that the online dictionary has the preposition that follows the verb. It is best to learn it this way so that it becomes habit and you don’t get stuck when speaking trying to figure out what preposition follows the verb. The same concept exists in English. The grammar topic is phrasal verbs.

When I say "Mi hermano conoció a un pintor muy famoso" is the rationale of using the a the same?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
August 4- acceder a

I think a sentence where it is used would be good.
I believe I understand the word since it is the same in French, but will look it up, made me curious.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think a sentence where it is used would be good.
I believe I understand the word since it is the same in French, but will look it up, made me curious.

Update:
Interestingly, it has the meaning I was guessing. But from what I see it can also means to agree with/accept.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Update:
Interestingly, it has the meaning I was guessing. But from what I see it can also means to agree with/accept.

Click on the link in my first post it’s there. I just post the word of the day from the website and it has examples of usage and audio for pronunciation :)

Last edited: