Words, words and more words

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Since the news on TV and in newspapers are dominated by news about the pandemic I started to notice how many words are used for the same item. Depending on what newspapers I read it’s a different word. I know Spanish vocabulary is vast but it is incredible because the word is just standard vocabulary in most cases and not necessarily a regionalism or slang.

The word that prompted me to start this thread is Mask. In many cities people are required to wear a mask until further notice. In newspapers I have seen:

máscara
mascarilla
tapaboca
nasobuco - this word is regional used in Cuba
cubreboca

There are many words in Spanish that have synonyms whether they are standard words, regionalisms or slang. Some that come to mind are:

Straw
Kite
T-shirt
Sandwich
Bus
Pen/ pencil
Fruits
Vegetables

There are more. You can add them to the thread.

-MP.

Reactions: colmcb and House

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Computer

It is interesting that the masc. un computador exists but you don’t hear that in Latin America and the fem. una computadora is what is commonly used.

Cell phone

It is either celular or móvil.

Reactions: colmcb

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Computer

It is interesting that the masc. un computador exists but you don’t hear that in Latin America and the fem. una computadora is what is commonly used.

I wonder if the reason that the noun el computador exists in Latin American Spanish is due to the masculine gender of the noun for computer (el ordenador) used in Spain.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I wonder if the reason that the noun el computador exists in Latin American Spanish is due to the masculine gender of the noun for computer (el ordenador) used in Spain.

Actually, ordenador is what I meant to write. That word is not used in LA. Computadora and less common computador are used. Maybe ordenador is more common in Europe because of the French equivalent which is similar. I am not sure why computador is used in LA.

Last edited:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Actually, ordenador is what I meant to write. That word is not used in LA. Computadora and less common computador are used. Maybe ordenador is more common in Europe because of the French equivalent which is similar. I am not sure why computador is used in LA.

Interesting, the kreyol word for computer is òdinatè.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is another word:

Sandwich

bocadillo

sándwich

sánguche- colloquial used in Argentina

refuerzo- colloquial used in Uruguay. I learned this from a colleague

emparedado- learned this word from a children’s reader. I was surprised when they had emparedado as the word for sandwich.

From the selection above the only word I use is sándwich.

-MP.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I was talking about this with my wife as we use the french words for the bread, but...

A sandwich= the sandwich as lord Sandwich invented it, two slices of bread vertically cut.
Una tostada= a toast, the piece of bread you can use with jam.
Now there is the croque monsieur, or tosti... I always heard “ a sandwich caliente” . What word do they use in other Latin American countries?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The other words they use in Latin America countries are listed in my post #10. In my observation, sándwich and bocadillo are top and then there is some usage of emparedado. Anything else is really local or a special type of sandwich.

Also here is a discussion from Duolingo’s forum.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tortas mexicanas are some of the best sandwiches I've ever tasted.

There's a sandwich chain in the DR called Emparedado but I've never heard anyone use the word emparedado for sandwich.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
That is a perfect example of a localized word for sandwich tortas mexicanas.

A Cuban sandwich is also specific but it is actually called un sándwich cubano.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Another word:

Money-

Most are slang but commonly used. Dinero is the standard then you will hear so many other words for both paper and coins. Plata is the main word for me. In South America, the main word is plata then other slang.

Another word:

Hangover or to have a hangover-

There are many ways to say this in Spanish. Most are slang but you will hear a variety in the Spanish-speaking world.

Tener resaca, Tener cruda, Tener goma (Central America), Tener guayabo or estar enguayabado (Colombia), Tener ratón, estar enratonado (Venezuela) . I hear all of these on a regular basis.

-MP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chirimoya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Another word:

Money-

Most are slang but commonly used. Dinero is the standard then you will hear so many other words for both paper and coins. Plata is the main word for me. In South America, the main word is plata then other slang.
Dominican Republic - cuartos
Spain - pela, perra, pasta
El Salvador - pisto
Nicaragua - reales
Several South American countries - luca

These are the ones I've come across. Then I looked it up and found a much longer list:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@Chirimoya

I am surprised you did not have chele on your list. It is authentically 🇩🇴.

As well, billete is very common especially among Spanish speakers from different countries. It is easy to understand.

I have seen the link you referenced. They give a lot examples of words of all variety in Spanish including billete.

-MP.

Reactions: Chirimoya

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It looks like the use of the word “polosyur” or poloshirt. In the DR it can mean anything except a camisa or franela.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Dominican Republic - cuartos
Spain - pela, perra, pasta
El Salvador - pisto
Nicaragua - reales
Several South American countries - luca

These are the ones I've come across. Then I looked it up and found a much longer list:

I verified in the link again I can’t believe they don’t have verdes and fula. Those are standard local slang in Cuba for money.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003