You get used to the heat right???!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nope.

You never get used to it. You learn to tolerate the heat.

I came to the DR from the Tampa Bay area where summer is BRUTAL. Heat & Humididity, a brutal combination, from June through October. natives just try not going outside, and if they do, water is involved.

But the brutal summers are outweughed by the awesome winters.

The DR is actually cooler than much of FL.

Also: Jarabacoa is always 8 degrees cooler than Santiago, and 10-12 degrees cooler than StoDgo. The wind in some areas of the NC help.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yeah.. Listen we hear that up in Jarabacoa and Constanza they have Frost in the winter! a friend and I were planning to go and we decided it would be too cold...

And while I cannot say that I tolerate the heat any better I sure cannot tolerate the cold now. When it is 60 degrees I think it is freezing.back in the States.

And I confess that i have an AC in both to office and the Room with the TV where I pretty much live in August

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Summer used to be my Favorite Season, now here in the DR I HATE IT!! I can't wait for winter which I used to HATE! Funny how things change.

Seriously I will get used to the heat and humidity right? In a year or so???!!!!

I know lots here seem not to be bothered by the Heat but of those who used to, please say you don't notice it as much :)

You will acclimate but it takes time.

Our first couple of summers the AC was 24/7 plus fans. We quickly learned to walk on the shade side of streets. We wore the usual tourist type shorts, shirts and flip-flops and was always sweating.

I started to ware jeans, socks and boat/deck shoes to horse ride and found that I'm MUCH more comfortable. 10 years later, we very seldom use any AC but we do like our fans. (also the cost of electricity went way up)

Of course, we still sweat but nothing like we used to.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yeah.. Listen we hear that up in Jarabacoa and Constanza they have Frost in the winter!
In 5 years I've never experienced frost in the winter in Jarabacoa. It may get into the 50's once in a while.

I LOVE winter in Jarabacoa. Highs in the mid/upper-70's, lows in the 60's, just fantastic weather!

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
It doesn't bother me. It actually got hotter in the summer in SC than it does here. I mean in SC in the summer there are several days where it is over 100 degrees. We rarely ever get that here. I can't remember the last time we had that here. The difference is it got much colder in the winter in SC and here the temperatures don't change much. It is just hot all the time here. But I prefer this to snow. I hate the snow. And yes we did get snow in SC. Not as much as the north, but every winter at least a couple of days if not a couple of weeks.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I've never understood how locals can wear jeans and socks on the reallllllly hot and humid days meanwhile I'm undressing trying to wear the least amount of clothing and still sweating buckets...

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
I know it's counterintuitive, but you're actually making yourself hotter the more exposed skin you have. Look at Arabs. They wear full body black clothing and don't seem to be falling out from the heat. It's a combination of the type of material you wear, and how you wear it. Light cotton suits are not popular in the Caribbean because they look great, it's because they breathe and they're comfy.

As to the heat, yes you will get used to it. It all depends on how much you get out in it, as someone mentioned. The longer you're exposed to it, the better off you'll aclimate. Understand however that going out for a nice sweaty walk and then coming back into lay under the AC does NOT constitute exposure! Try turning the AC up a few degrees every so often till you don't even need it anymore.

Jan 3, 2003
It will only get worse in the DR as time goes by. I live in Coral Gables, Florida and it is paradise here. I can't understand how my ANGLO-SAXON friends here on DR1 would trade the beauty that I live in (your country) for the heat, filth, stank and humidity of SD. Coral Gables is packed with those massive trees lining most streets as for ex. Alhambra Way which cuts right through the heart of Coral Gables. Here they protect trees and plant more. It is a canopy of tree cover that keeps you wonderfully cool. And for those of you that say that CG is too expensive I have seen apartments going for the same rate you'd pay in Mountain Annie's Gazcue.

On the other hand, SD and the country in general is in a race to see how many more trees it can cut down. That accounts for your heat increases year over year. For all the ranting and raving about Constanza and Jarabacoa you'd had to have seen those places 50 years ago. The mountains for the most part the ones you see as you enter the city are balding. There is and continues to be massive deforestation going on. The cities themselves used to be as Coral Gables is now. They used to be filled with beautiful Caribbean ( correct spelling CC,LOL) pine lining all the streets within the city itself. Of course that used to be in Trujillo's time!!!

The idiocy and mental retardation of the authorities and the Dominicans in general has stripped all of Constanza of any tree cover in the city and most hills and mountains surrounding the city. It is truly disgusting but what can you expect from an analphabet (real world look it up) group of people. What has been the result? Constanza which in the summers used to be cool in the daytime has become a hell-hole of heat in the summer. Since it is dry heat, it feels like millions of pins being inserted into your skin. It is not fun at all.

The summers used to be wonderfully cool. Trujillo had a place up there and there was a hotel in the vicinity now abandoned. The winters used to much colder also. It was tough in the winter back in the day with temps ranging in the low 40's and upper 30's. Today, Constanza which is amongst the coldest in the country will easily range in the upper 80's and low 90's in the summer. Believe it or not I used to live there and couldn't believe it myself how hot it has gotten. The winters are quite mild and warm also with temps ranging in the 60-80 range. Sometimes you get the 50's but less and less as each year passes.

So the DR will only get hotter as more trees are destroyed to build furniture or burnt for fuel and the waterways disappear as a result. Well at least you ex-pats will be able to run away once the DR turns into Haiti ecologically speaking. Expect more heat as more trees are destroyed. Oh I forgot. If Constanza is being stripped of its tree cover, what about the rest of the island? I scarcely saw any type of vegetation such as that from Santo Domingo all the way to Punta Cana except for shrubbery. The DR is on target to be a thoroughly deforested nation in the not so distant future.

yeah.. Listen we hear that up in Jarabacoa and Constanza they have Frost in the winter! a friend and I were planning to go and we decided it would be too cold...

That's a myth from folks who haven't been there in a long time. Pretty soon the winters in Constanza will be as warm as SD. They've cut down so many trees and continue to cut down that pretty soon the winter harvests will fail. You can see late at night under cover caravans of Daihatsu trucks hauling in lumber from the mountains. I did.

The "Foresta" in Constanza is a little itty bitty broken down office with no officers and no money. Heck, you could come in broad daylight and drive in right through Constanza with a Daihatsu flatbed full of lumber and nothing would happen to you. "Foresta" would probably salute you right through if they ain't sleeping on the job.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Sosua, Dominican Republic Weather Forecast from Weather Underground

My place. Doors and windows open with a nice breeze off the ocean. 1 fan on me. Electricity is OFF AGAIN so on solar/inverter and that works just fine since we use Edenorte for only about 4 hours a day for 1 pool pump.

A few blocks away in Sosua most likely at least 10 degrees hotter and no breeze.

Have my jeans, socks, shoes and a short sleeved shirt on. I'm comfortable.... but I ain't going into town after 10 AM.

:)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Like bronzie and dv8, I don't think anyone in DR has ever seen me without my hair in a ponytail - and that's in winter! I don't do well in heat, which is why I'd never be able to live in DR year round. How Dominican women wear their hair long, and both men and women are in suits - I'll never understand. And no one [except some foreigners!!] ever stinks there!!!

I used to dread the days when I had to step out of the house to run errands.I made
sure to carry an ice cold water bottle at all times and a hand towel around my neck.

I'm looking forward to the fall and winter months now.;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
another argument with monster in law: "how did you live in poland if you complain so much about AC being cold?" easily, woman. in poland it's cold OUTSIDE. you wear more clothes when you go outside, you are a happy camper. in DR is is cold INSIDE while all you wear is a short, short dress. how about: f**k, no?

surprisingly, when i go home in the winter i am super happy. i enjoy the weather. i do not feel cold. but when i arrive back to DR i am grateful it's warm. this feeling last all the way it takes me to get to the car, then i am already half dead from heat and back cursing :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
another argument with monster in law: "how did you live in poland if you complain so much about AC being cold?" easily, woman. in poland it's cold OUTSIDE. you wear more clothes when you go outside, you are a happy camper. in DR is is cold INSIDE while all you wear is a short, short dress. how about: f**k, no?

surprisingly, when i go home in the winter i am super happy. i enjoy the weather. i do not feel cold. but when i arrive back to DR i am grateful it's warm. this feeling last all the way it takes me to get to the car, then i am already half dead from heat and back cursing :)

Ha ha! I know what you mean! As soon as I step out of the airport, it feels like
someone just opened an oven door and I want to turn back!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly! and usually i am still dressed in long pants due to the unique way airplanes are designed. i do not believe it for a second there is any temperature control on board, it's always freezing cold. on my last trip to poland i nicked 3 additional blankets. so i sat on that damn plane in leggings, sweat pants, two pairs of socks, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, hoodie and a 3 meter long woolly scarf. wrapped up in 4 blankies. horror.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Some don't let the heat bother them ....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cHyaJ4viMg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
i'm with NV: it's hell. i love four seasons and the fact that all weather was temporary. and i loved british weather, waking up not knowing what the day is gonna be like. the summer in DR is getting worse and worse for me. i do not go out for days. i like hurricanes and winters and all those prolonged rainy seasons. heat? hate it.

I love hurricane season. Someone mentions a tropical storm or anything and i get giddy. is there any better smell than those first few minutes of rain.

My family hates me when a hurricane is approaching. They're all acting like its the end of the world, and im just trying to find someone with a jeepeta to head out to the malecon to the see the waves.

i miss winters, even floridas mild winters... 50-60 degrees, i'd kill for that. O and how come theres never any fog here. Why is that?? i miss fog too lol

Seriously considering moving back to Tampa.

May 12, 2005
It will only get worse in the DR as time goes by. I live in Coral Gables, Florida and it is paradise here. I can't understand how my ANGLO-SAXON friends here on DR1 would trade the beauty that I live in (your country) for the heat, filth, stank and humidity of SD. Coral Gables is packed with those massive trees lining most streets as for ex. Alhambra Way which cuts right through the heart of Coral Gables. Here they protect trees and plant more. It is a canopy of tree cover that keeps you wonderfully cool. And for those of you that say that CG is too expensive I have seen apartments going for the same rate you'd pay in Mountain Annie's Gazcue.

On the other hand, SD and the country in general is in a race to see how many more trees it can cut down. That accounts for your heat increases year over year. For all the ranting and raving about Constanza and Jarabacoa you'd had to have seen those places 50 years ago. The mountains for the most part the ones you see as you enter the city are balding. There is and continues to be massive deforestation going on. The cities themselves used to be as Coral Gables is now. They used to be filled with beautiful Caribbean ( correct spelling CC,LOL) pine lining all the streets within the city itself. Of course that used to be in Trujillo's time!!!

The idiocy and mental retardation of the authorities and the Dominicans in general has stripped all of Constanza of any tree cover in the city and most hills and mountains surrounding the city. It is truly disgusting but what can you expect from an analphabet (real world look it up) group of people. What has been the result? Constanza which in the summers used to be cool in the daytime has become a hell-hole of heat in the summer. Since it is dry heat, it feels like millions of pins being inserted into your skin. It is not fun at all.

The summers used to be wonderfully cool. Trujillo had a place up there and there was a hotel in the vicinity now abandoned. The winters used to much colder also. It was tough in the winter back in the day with temps ranging in the low 40's and upper 30's. Today, Constanza which is amongst the coldest in the country will easily range in the upper 80's and low 90's in the summer. Believe it or not I used to live there and couldn't believe it myself how hot it has gotten. The winters are quite mild and warm also with temps ranging in the 60-80 range. Sometimes you get the 50's but less and less as each year passes.

So the DR will only get hotter as more trees are destroyed to build furniture or burnt for fuel and the waterways disappear as a result. Well at least you ex-pats will be able to run away once the DR turns into Haiti ecologically speaking. Expect more heat as more trees are destroyed. Oh I forgot. If Constanza is being stripped of its tree cover, what about the rest of the island? I scarcely saw any type of vegetation such as that from Santo Domingo all the way to Punta Cana except for shrubbery. The DR is on target to be a thoroughly deforested nation in the not so distant future.

That's a myth from folks who haven't been there in a long time. Pretty soon the winters in Constanza will be as warm as SD. They've cut down so many trees and continue to cut down that pretty soon the winter harvests will fail. You can see late at night under cover caravans of Daihatsu trucks hauling in lumber from the mountains. I did.

The "Foresta" in Constanza is a little itty bitty broken down office with no officers and no money. Heck, you could come in broad daylight and drive in right through Constanza with a Daihatsu flatbed full of lumber and nothing would happen to you. "Foresta" would probably salute you right through if they ain't sleeping on the job.

The 1940-1960. The Golden Era of DR

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I love hurricane season. Someone mentions a tropical storm or anything and i get giddy. is there any better smell than those first few minutes of rain.

My family hates me when a hurricane is approaching. They're all acting like its the end of the world, and im just trying to find someone with a jeepeta to head out to the malecon to the see the waves.

i miss winters, even floridas mild winters... 50-60 degrees, i'd kill for that. O and how come theres never any fog here. Why is that?? i miss fog too lol

Seriously considering moving back to Tampa.

As anyplace that has nature and natural events. Be aware and BE PREPARED!

Living in the San Francisco area and Earthquakes. A light metal shed in the back yard with all sorts of emergency stuff. Had a boat in the Bay and that also ready with all sorts of food and medical stuff; always kept the fuel full.

Upper mid-westwest and northern New England. Winters? Tornados? Had a plan.

Down here on the North Coast. Heavy double pained (sp) sliders and windows for a Cat 3. Food and medical stuff stored. Gen and extra fuel. Extra water storage and purification. In house "safe-er" areas. Jeep in a solid garage with a real garage door. Thick and heavy plywood ready to put up if needed.

I check MikeFisher's posts everyday for our weather. Put in my own weather station too.

It's all in the planning and being prepared IF and WHEN something should happen.

Which President said? "The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." The fog effect can be chilling. lol.