You get used to the heat right???!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I love hurricane season. Someone mentions a tropical storm or anything and i get giddy. is there any better smell than those first few minutes of rain.

My family hates me when a hurricane is approaching. They're all acting like its the end of the world, and im just trying to find someone with a jeepeta to head out to the malecon to the see the waves.

I used to be just like you. Hurricane Sandy and the 3' of water in my house squashed my giddiness. Now I hear the word 'hurricane' and I get a tightness in my chest. :(

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I broke down and bought an a/c today. Corripio, less than 18k pesos including installation. 12k btu ciac made by carrier. During the day it feels fine. The breeze is awesome i am very comfortable. But in the night the breeze dies and it feels hotter. Crazy. I am more uncomfortable at 7am or 10pm and than i am at 2 pm.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I used to be just like you. Hurricane Sandy and the 3' of water in my house squashed my giddiness. Now I hear the word 'hurricane' and I get a tightness in my chest. :(

You, yours and your friends got the SHyT blown out of you. I hope that you and all have made some recovery. And I do think about you with every mention of even the word..... Hurricane.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I Now I hear the word 'hurricane' and I get a tightness in my chest. :(

Had to do it!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NBKNCvRWefs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy Friday!!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I broke down and bought an a/c today. Corripio, less than 18k pesos including installation. 12k btu ciac made by carrier. During the day it feels fine. The breeze is awesome i am very comfortable. But in the night the breeze dies and it feels hotter. Crazy. I am more uncomfortable at 7am or 10pm and than i am at 2 pm.

Mornings are nice a cool so we run around opening everything.

You WILL be paying for that AC unit over and over with your electric bill. Use it ONLY and WHEN you need and your small fan just does not do it for you would be my advice.

Nice wind off the Ocean but did feel the heat and humidity today so I turned up the fan one notch. lol

PO-d_Gringo

Feb 13, 2013
The trick is to soak your socks in kerosene.
It keeps the ants from crawling up your legs and eating your candy ass.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Summer used to be my Favorite Season, now here in the DR I HATE IT!! I can't wait for winter which I used to HATE! Funny how things change.

Seriously I will get used to the heat and humidity right? In a year or so???!!!!

I know lots here seem not to be bothered by the Heat but of those who used to, please say you don't notice it as much :)

Which heat?
I live here for 12years and I still love the weather!
I am from Holland and had there 26years of cold, rainy and ****ty weather, maybe that explains a lot...

Which heat?
I live here for 12years and I still love the weather!
I am from Holland and had there 26years of cold, rainy and ****ty weather, maybe that explains a lot...

I am from Van and had 37 years of rain and well Grey weather, maybe snowed twice a year? If we were lucky, I liked that part. Driving in the Snow was fun! The drizzle and cool weather not cold but cool i didn't like but I actually now think i prefer Vancouver's Weather to this!

I like the sunlight and blue sky's but at night holy f&ck it is hot. I'm sure once I go on my holiday to Van soon I will not want to wait to get back to the DR, I HOPE!!!!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Solution is coming... (some day...):

Wissenschaft: Ventilator auf der Haut: Professor entwickelt Klimajacke - Diverses - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten

"Put on you what, it's hot." This absurd-sounding invitation to default after the request of the researcher Wilhelm Stork soon. The system engineers at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) has invented an air jacket that cools heat and great physical exertion.
For this he uses the fan effect: Channels with circulating air in the jacket provide for faster evaporation of sweat. This lowers the temperature.

The prototype looks like a bulletproof vest. "This is no accident, because the jacket was co-developed by a company in the industry," said Stork. So far, the company is the only partner who sees potential in development. The air jacket could - worn under the shooting jacket - on hot days make sure that police and bodyguards stay cool. When such a vest or jacket comes on the market and what it will cost, can not say.

For the development of the Federal Ministry of Research contributed several hundred thousand euros. "The project was first a wearable, active climate control realized," it says in a review of the ministry. "This allows longer wear or use times will give you around with firefighters and police officers along with a reduced physical stress." Further applications provides the Ministry with People with cardiovascular problems.

Beyond work and health aspects of the research tries to inspire even the lifestyle arena for its innovation. He refers to a Japanese man who in 2011 brought a shirt with two built-in fans in the back on the market. "The swells then always something on." His knowledge of it have been sold around 50 000 pieces - especially remained shut as many air conditioners after the nuclear accident at Fukushima in Japan.

Stork came up with the idea already in the summer of the century 2003. "I wanted to clean up my office one day in August, but it was just too hot." An air conditioner was not there. "Besides, I did not even cool the room but me." After several experiments, among others Eisjacken he came to the conclusion that the most sensible way is to optimize the body's cooling mechanism.

Unlike most animals, humans can sweat and thus regulate his body temperature even in hot weather and great effort. One problem is to get the sweat from the skin. Wind is helpful. "A fan front and one in back would be great. This is of course not to implement, "says the professor.

His solution: air ducts. On the jacket hanging at waist front and rear hand-sized box with fans, as they are used for computers. Tighten the air entering from the shoulder into the sewer system and is then discharged to the box again. Such a draft is created directly on the body, which actually provides cooling. Arms, legs and head, however, remain hot.

In addition, the 200 grams heavy jackets buzzing constantly to himself, as we know that even on computers. "You could certainly improve," said Stork. To the jacket he has also developed a chest belt that measures including breathing, heart rate, and physical activity. With a mini computer in the form of a wristwatch can then be adjusted accordingly cooling.
With a power of two watts, the Air Jacket is significantly lower fuel consumption than an air conditioner with two kilowatts. "This is my contribution to the climate debate," Stork said with a grin. And now he pulls the jacket itself, to clean up his office in the summer? "No, I have determined that my pain is due less to the heat well. I invent rather clean place. "

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have never gotten use to the heat, just learned to tolerate it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't know whether I got used to it or became naturally adjusted to staying out of it. The problem is here if you allow yourself to overheat then you can't cool down, and so avoid the heat, walk in the shade, keep your bottom buttons on your shirt open, avoid dark colours and whenever you get the chance, pop into a pharmacy to stand there for a moment in the A/C. Just do your best to stay out of sunlight, and avoid ever being in a rush.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You'll get used to it...but you have to get out in it! I'm orginially from Houston, Texas and it is humid as Satan ballzsack there. I never did mind the heat until I moved away and then came back to visit. You'll aclimate...give it time and get outside! lol...

Good luck!

Going to LRD from Houston in the summer must be like a trip to the Minnesota woods.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today we went to santiago to a birthday party so i patted on some makeup. oh. my. god. how the hell do those dominicanas plaster they faces with maquillaje without having it run down their pants in rainbow streaks is a mystery to me.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
The summer months are the only time we turn the air con on, and thats only 30 min before sleep, well sometimes during sleeping, otherwise its ceiling fans and breeze only. the summer months are def hot and humid! I happen to like it, Canada westcoast weather sux!!(except for this year ;) )

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
when I first moved to Las Terrenas, I was out walking by the beach around one Pm, along the beach road by the Pueblo de pescadores.,.. it was December and we had had about six weeks of rain which was abnormal even for there but it had finally dried up and the road was not even muddy so I was walking and walking. And wondering, really, why there was no one else out and about. It was so gorgeous.

And then, about five minutes later, I said.. OMG, I am going to faint.

"only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun"

most of LT shuts down at 1 pm and opens up at 4 Pm till 7 Pm for the very sensible siesta...

I learned.

Now I have a little Gold Star window ac in my office which keeps me cool and dry all day...... not frigid.. just a couple of degrees cooler.

and a fan at night.