You give begging people your money?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I don't drive a car in DR, so maybe because I'm missing out the action it's not "fair" for me to say this BUT AT LEAST THOSE WINDOW WASHERS ARE WORKING FOR THEIRS INSTEAD OF BEGGING.

But I would tell them too to not touch my car, but thinking about it I should give them cos once again they're trying and maybe they're just 100 DOP away from living on the streets.

Dec 26, 2011
I don't drive a car in DR, so maybe because I'm missing out the action it's not "fair" for me to say this BUT AT LEAST THOSE WINDOW WASHERS ARE WORKING FOR THEIRS INSTEAD OF BEGGING.

But I would tell them too to not touch my car, but thinking about it I should give them cos once again they're trying and maybe they're just 100 DOP away from living on the streets.

It's the attitude. If they're polite and my co-pilot has 20 pesos handy, by all means. I'll happily throw in a gracias, joven. But you throw a filthy rag or sponge on my windshield, you'll not be rewarded for your "tenacity".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I give to the handicapped or old people. When boys ask me for money I ask them whether they have a popola instead of a huevo, if they're female because only women ask for money. real men make their own
Agreed, the physically infirm and old.

I only "give" to kids who earn it-and that doesn't include kids in parking lots supposedly "watching" my vehicle.

May 29, 2006
I hear there is a common practice where someone brings in handicapped from the campo to beg in the cities, then pay them a small percentage of their take for the day. So many scams out there. There was an older woman in Sosua for years who would drag around some young girl to look pitiful and the word from the locals was she was living in a big house in POP with a pool. The girl was often paid with ice cream(ugh..) When you see a Dominican giving to someone, they are most likely truly in need.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I don't see people dying of hunger in this country (on the contrary, they look rather fat)... as food grows on trees, runs around in a forest and flows from Western Union..

P.S. we gave cash in all directions when we came to DR... it ran out.. sorry

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Saturday is beggars day in Jarabacoa and they seem to come out of the woodwork. If they come to the porch or dooe they get nothing, if they have a medical certificate or doctors letter they get nothing. There is usually several old ladies and a guy with a withered food down where we buy our fruit and vegetables. They are very polite and the locals give them change so I also give them 10 pesos each, but not every week.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have one that I give to regularly: the very friendly fellow with the obviously bum leg in the wheelchair in the farmacia in Sosua. We chat when I pass and I consider him a friend. I knew him before he was given the wheelchair and crawled around Sosua on hands and knees.

Other than that, it is on an individual basis. Most likely are old people who show visible signs of need.

Rubbing the stomach and telling me you are hungry produces nothing.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I don't see people dying of hunger in this country (on the contrary, they look rather fat)... as food grows on trees, runs around in a forest and flows from Western Union..

P.S. we gave cash in all directions when we came to DR... it ran out.. sorry

Well, it's not like a commercial of African babies being eaten by flies. But still, hunger is hunger and we all have our own morals and feelings to decide when to step in or not.

Even tho when a child is being forced, grown ups can handle hunger better than kids.

But yeah, I should really put some money a side cos at a certain point I was out of money too and I didn't even reach my destination.

Once again, it's not Africa but if you're not only staying in a resort or in the tourist places and you're going deeper into the barrios you'll see that it's real.

But once again, I'm really feeling for those kids and somehow I can't even have 10% of that for all other beggers.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I have one that I give to regularly: the very friendly fellow with the obviously bum leg in the wheelchair in the farmacia in Sosua. We chat when I pass and I consider him a friend. I knew him before he was given the wheelchair and crawled around Sosua on hands and knees.

Other than that, it is on an individual basis. Most likely are old people who show visible signs of need.

Rubbing the stomach and telling me you are hungry produces nothing.

I thought in Latin countries people are taking more care of their parents. I always hear Latin people (not Dominicans specific) talking down on white people for putting their parents away in a home while the Latin people take the parents inside their homes.

Now I get it that some parents had fights with their children but the amount of older people I saw in the streets doesn't add up to what I was thinking about Latin people. It can't be that all of these elderly messed up everything with their home base.

What should one do for a kid (even tho the kid is now 50+) to let their parents rot on the streets?

Dec 24, 2012
There's this one feller in our barrio who's been living here for many many years. Some 10 years ago or so his mother died, they were very close, he didn't handle her death very well and lost his mind. He was never the same again and though he's an in his 40's or so his mind is of a child, doesn't speak coherently, anyone who meets him today would label him as crazy. For us folks who have known him, his mom, sisters and family, know what really happened to him. When he walks around we all chip in, give him a piece of bread, others a cup of coffee, I give him a few pesos each time he comes around. For any regular folk begging, you never know but like someone said before I would rather give to a reputable charity with low overhead costs. Usually best that way but if I know of someone who is truly in need, I make sure to send help that way.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Def Fish,

Just turn the wipers on and keep them on while shaking your index finger, at least until they go away.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i categorize beggars also the kids i will give money to and the handicap. i hate when the deported guys from new york were im from beg for money when they have enough experience in finding any job there speaking excellent english and spanish

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
i categorize beggars also the kids i will give money to and the handicap. i hate when the deported guys from new york were im from beg for money when they have enough experience in finding any job there speaking excellent english and spanish

Totally forgot about them! The ones that got deported! Even tho I don't ever seen one begging, those are still the ones that are your guides to come with a sad story at the end of the day that they need to feed their 3 babies and what not!

I knocked dude out for scamming me, he had me all up in tears about his story so I gave him some extra just to find out he's a fiend! That's why I raised the bar! Even tho for handicaps it's different but the rest all had their chances!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
"NADA!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It degrades them, and you.
Promotes more "Beggers".
Demonstates to children that you don't need to work for a living, just beg for a living!

Donate to charity that helps children iN need!
Most of the beggers, including old women, children, and those cute "babies in arms", are part of a "begging crew".
Mothers actually rent out their newborns!
They don't get to keep the money, but are given a fixed amount, and a quota to meet befre they can go home!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You hit it right on the head!!

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
thats right. it was just one guy from the bronx that was deported and he was in santo domingo and he was at the hotel bar when we was talking and i said do you want a beer then he said i just want some milk for my baby he was pretty much a good guy

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
As my wife don't know what to do she use ash tray to store few pasos for those walks around with dirty sponge. Me as soon as see a red light I stop and make sure I have enough room move forward when ever I see the guys with dirty sponge walk toward me. It works most of the time in NY and so far in DR. As for others.... NO....

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I am stingy with money. Not that I need to be, but choose to be. I've been to the DR enough to know how some of these fools operate.

I have a b!tch look that I think scares most kids away cause they do not ask me a lot of times. If they do I'll give them some candy instead. I usually lose my pesos to them playing dominos anyways lol
Handicap people... sometimes...
Old people... I have never been asked on the streets by an old person (once again my b!tch look must scare them off).

There was one time however when my husband and I went to the countryside and this women that lives in the area burst out of her shack and started patting me on the head and started saying God will bless me if I gave her 100 pesos. All it took was one nasty look in husbands direction and she left-if I opened my mouth she would've been walking with my flip flop up her ass.

I can't stand when I'm at a restaurant eating and people come up asking for change. Drives me f'ing crazy.

I will however buy meat for street dogs and feed them without thinking twice and not caring what the price is. People look at me crazy when I order an extra serving of meat and than go feed a dog :D I've trained my husband to do the same. Yes, I've trained him ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha. i trained mine as well. i give him sometimes bones and leftovers for dogs. he would stop where dogs are, give each a little bit and wait to see they eat it all.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Cmon guys if a dog that eats it's own vomit and crap is worthy of leftovers a poor old drunk or drug addict is worth 10 pesos.