▫▫ Earthquake Reports ▫▫

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
COI says in its bulletin No.2 there were two deaths as a consequence of the earthquake. One was a 78 year old man, and another a 56 year old woman. Both died of heart attacks at the shock. One person suffered a broken leg when jumping from a second floor in fear.

Confusing whether the airport was closed. COI says that it was technically evaluated and there is no danger for its use. Thus, this could confirm the conflicting reports of operations being normal and no flights being perceived. Should return to normal this morning.

The Santiago Cabral y Baez Public Hospital is back into operation.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Ken

Thanks for your reports on the condo and Sosua. Good to have someone on scene. Sorry about your gym.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I received an e-mail from Conchman,

he suffered damage to his recently purchased house when part of the roof collapsed but everyone is OK.

Ocean World Adventure Park received no detectable structural damage and all the animals are fine. This is of course preliminary in nature and a detailed inspection will follow. There was concern and apprehension because a particular part of the park which houses expensive machinery (value of about $2 million US) is beneath sea level and even a small leak would have been a disaster - but no problem.

If I hear more I will let you know.

Gregg

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Glad to hear.......

........that everybody is physically OK. Sounds like it was scary as hell. BTW if anybody happens to walk by my place on the beach, I'd sure appreciate a damage assessment. Good luck to everybody.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Does someone know if Puerto Plata`s airport La union is operating? We operate several duty free stores there, and today they were opened, but they were later closed by Aerodom. I have been told that they are some problems with the columns.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
another aftershock 11:54am. The building shook. I think the after shocks will continue all day. I really felt this one. I mean the building undulated.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I heard it on National Public Radio this morning while going to work here in Kentucky.

After reviewing yours posts, especially my neighbor, Xanadu, am trying to contact our project manager down there to see how Casa Linda is, ESPECIALLY our house!

Doug's been looking for an excuse to get down there; unfortunately, he may have to go down this week to clean up the mess. oh god, we bought a brand new TV, etc. Hope it is ok.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan, you should be able to make contact. Phones are working, travel normal on streets and higway, and there is little evidence of the earthquake last night.

Each person seems to be an individual case. Some report little or no damage in the house, other report a lot. By damage I mean pictures off walls, cans and bottles out of cupboards, etc., and furniture moved (and in some cases tipped over if tall, like a book shelf).

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - Doug just called Timo, the manager. The office employees had already made a sweep of the neighborhood early this morning. The secretary went inside our house and reported no damage of contents. Timo said only reports in our neighborhood have been knick-knacks turned over on shelves. No pics off walls, etc. He said they were going to make more thorough inspections (wall cracks) later today and will email us the results.

XR - could difference in our 2 places be that you are on a ridge and we're down low? (know squat about geology)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JanH, everyone reporting hit and miss. For example, Escott had almost no damage in his condo (C2) at El Neptuno but alanindr had extensive damage in B1. They are both ground floor and nearly neighbors.

Again at El Neptuno, damage to wall and stairway near entrance to A section, but no damage elsewhere.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your question.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Thanks, Ken baby. we've put off even thinking about insurance; guess we need to start looking at the options. Doug & I were lucky this time.....

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Ken??

Do you have later news about our condo ( alanindr )? We were told this morning that it was minor, lamps, pottery, etc... Have you seen inside? Thanks, Mary

lcheco10

Sep 22, 2003
Was it like the one in 1944

Wow, as far as I heard from family and friends, this earthquake was as hard as the last one we had in 1944. I am glad that there were not so many human casualties this time.

Oh, my beautiful Santiago, I just hope it does not get sunk like the old Santiago, back in the late 1930's.

Everyone remain safe and do not forget to call your family and friends, and to check out your home damges for your safety.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Ken??

MaryS said:
Do you have later news about our condo ( alanindr )? We were told this morning that it was minor, lamps, pottery, etc... Have you seen inside? Thanks, Mary
Hi Mary. I heard the same thing about dishes and other stuff in the condo. Nothing major. TV fell off but is still working. It isn't that bad but worse than mine appeared to be according to Marco. He said your looked like a disaster area with broken dishes etc but nothing major.

Last edited:

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
May be a blessing in disguise since I don't care for knick-knacks/dust collectors. There were some ugly ceramic masks on the wall I had thought of tossing. Plus, i'm glad the painting hadn't been started yet. Besides, i'm on the 19th year of not insuring property and i'm way ahead of the game.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Does it ever end?

Just had another after shock (I hope). Jeez, this is really starting to get way too interesting for me. Xr, were you on the computer again?

Dianne

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did everyone hear the noise?

I've been surprised that nobody has mentioned the noise when the earthquake shook us all up about 1am. When I woke up, not only was my bed bouncing and shaking but it sounded like there was a train in the basement. Very loud. Didn't last long and was not repeated with subsequent tremors or after shocks.

A friend in Perla Marina was lying awake reading when the earthquake occurred. She said she could hear the noise approaching and immediately worried that it might be a tornado coming.

To me, the combination of the noise and the violent motion made it even more frightening than if it were just the motion.

teri

Sep 22, 2003
Hallo, I'm writing from England. The grand daughter of a friend is over here from Puerto Plata and is worried about how things are.
So I'm relaying messages to her via someone else...

Does anyone know how things are in Los Reis [Race?] A road in Puerto Plata. Or can you give me any good links for more information?

I just looked at the P. P. photo link, it looks awful over there, and I'm so sorry for you all. Best wishes