2006 info on Moving to the DR

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
More questions

Thanks to all of you for your insightful thoughts and information. We just got back from another trip and have put an offer in on a house in Sosua. I know you're all saying to rent before we buy, however we found a house that is affordable for us and we aren't going to be dependant on having to sell the house if we decide to leave the DR.

I posted another thread about internet service in the Sosua area. I understand that it is readily available and the house we may buy has cable. The question is how do I arrange to have DSL or 'high speed' internet connected? Is there a web site or telephone numbers and any recommendations would be appriciated.

Another thing, mail. What do you guys do about it? I understand there isn't a postal delivery system in the DR so what do you do? I am thinking of having all of my mail delivered to a relative here in the States and then once a month having them FEDEX it to me there. What'd ya think?

We've decided to make the move simple and either sell or store all of our things here in the States before moving down. We'll be buying a car there and I understand that we need a residency (Cedula) before we can obtain insurance. Any suggestions on where to go to buy a car would be a great help. I've checked www.super-carros.com and have gotten an idea of what's out there.

I'm so glad that I found DR1 as it's making the transition much easier.
Jack

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Moving to the Dom Rep

Hi there!

This is my first time on here so please be gentle with me!

I'm after moving to Sosua/Cabarete and would love to buy a house there with my husband and 2 children age 2 & 6.

I am wondering if there is anyway you can get a 'mortgage' or loan on a house over there and also if there is any sites which would advice me on the prospect of moving over there.

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Harrod

May 17, 2006
Hello everybody,
Only joined the site a couple of days ago,all this info has been very helpful.Have actually bought a house in Caberete,Costa Azul to be precise,anybody local?Will be moving when all goes through finally here inU.K.
Maybe late July early August as the house has renters till 1st Sept.Probubly will have to rent for a few weeks ourselves,fortuanately I think that is to be arranged by Centuary 21 the people who we bought the house from[they are excellent but the guy who found us the house was from Caribbean realty in the high street in Caberete,couldn,t have been more helpful,names Michael.Really nice guy.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
proudpeace said:
I'm after moving to Sosua/Cabarete and would love to buy a house there with my husband and 2 children age 2 & 6.

I am wondering if there is anyway you can get a 'mortgage' or loan on a house over there and also if there is any sites which would advice me on the prospect of moving over there.

Hi Proudpeace and welcome to DR1. There is a tremendous amount of information on these boards about the DR. Use the Search function and let us know if you have any other specific questions. Generally the feeling here is that the interest rates are too high to comfortably use a DR mortgage or loan to purchase property.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Harrod said:
Hello everybody,
Only joined the site a couple of days ago,all this info has been very helpful.Have actually bought a house in Caberete,Costa Azul to be precise,anybody local?Will be moving when all goes through finally here inU.K.
Maybe late July early August as the house has renters till 1st Sept.Probubly will have to rent for a few weeks ourselves,fortuanately I think that is to be arranged by Centuary 21 the people who we bought the house from[they are excellent but the guy who found us the house was from Caribbean realty in the high street in Caberete,couldn,t have been more helpful,names Michael.Really nice guy.

Welcome to DR1 and congratulations on your house purchase.

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Moving to Sosua/Cabarete

Hiya All!

I am looking to move to Sosua or Cabarete soon - hopefully.

Still looking at getting jobs etc?

We were told by a Estate Agent in Sosua, Keith Watson, that South is okay but is more touristy than the North.

His daughter had moved from Sosua near to La Romana and it took her nearly an hour just to get to a store.

Having been to Sosua 3 times I have to say I love it! Locals mixing with the tourists. Really friendly, never felt threatened once.

Glad I've found this site, getting loads of information!

Thanks you All!

Last edited by a moderator:

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
my two cents

cant say anything you havent seen in the other posts,

only thing is to get a Honda or Toyota car/jeep/truck

parts are available all over the place incase you have to get it fixed...unlike us parts which would be expensive.

if you're not bringing your own car down...i recommend you buy something new so at least you get some kind of warranty from the dealer....and by dealer i mean THE honda dealer ....not the other guys that sell honda cars.

why not buy second hand/used....because if anything happens you're screwed and as an extranjero here you will be screwed over and over till you sell it again.....unless you are a mechanic which helps.

for living up north (im in santo domingo) i suggest a jeep like a Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4...not a SUV which really eat gas.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
*** Moving to the DR? ***

We have just updated the real estate section with some info relating to moving here. This is a work in progress, so expect to see the content change and more added from time to time. If you find any mistakes, please email me.

Moving to the DR

Enjoy!

anacubana

Sep 19, 2006
I no speak ingles, necesito alguien en espa?ol me diga que lugar es mejor para retirados cerca de playa

mspattya

Oct 2, 2006
Renting First In The Dr

i AM ABOUT TO MAKE MY FIRST TRIP TO THE DR (PUERTA PLATA) . I ENLISTED THE HELP OF A REALTOR TO FIND ME A RENTAL APARTMENT .THE STUDIO IS IN COSTMBAR, HOPE I SPELLED THAT RIGHT. I HAVE NO IDEA THE NAME OF THE COMPLEX , THEY DID NOT GIVE THE INFO BUT IT IS 9000. PESOS MONTHLY AND INCLUDES ALL UTILITES. NO AC. I AM RENTING FOR 3 MONTHS INITIALLY TO SEE IF I LIKE THE DR AT ALL, THEN I MAY LOOK TO PURCHASE SOMETHING, BUT I AM NOT SURE, MAYBE RENTING IS THE WAY TO KEEP IT. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELPFUL HINTS WOULD BE APPRICIATED. SUCH AS WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO FIND EXPATS RESTAURNATS, BARS ETC. I WOULD LIKE TO MEET UP WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SOME DR EXPERIENCE :bunny:
THANKS SO MUCH

trueheart

Oct 31, 2006
New to DR

Hi All,
Thanks for all the helpful info. i just joined. will be coming to DR on Nov.9th. I'm renting a condo in Sosua from a friend in the states. i've never been to DR so have lots of questions. I'll be coming for 2-6 months to write. i'm very excited about coming, and also a bit nervous about the unknowns.

So here are my questions:
1.The same questions as Jack about mail. i've tried to set up doing as much business as possible online.

2. phone:The condo comes with internet, thank God. At this time there is no phone in the condo. My friend says she has been told to go to the local grocery store and buy a second-hand phone and prepaid card that gets "loaded" into the phone??? Do i have that right? or is it just as easy to bring a phone with me and a prepaid calling card? Does Cingular cell phones work there?

3. I was thinking of bringing some foodstuff with me of things I may not be able to find there, like some grains, Braggs, almond butter, etc. will I be able to bring them into the country? what do you suggest?

4. I'm assuming i don't need a Visa, i have a passport.

5. Money: i was told it's easiest and best rate to simply get money from an ATM. Is that true?

6. What about shots? I was not planning that unless someone says i need them.

7. i'm really not sure how long I'm staying, probably six months. At this point I have a one way ticket, but assume i'm not going to be allowed to enter DR without an exit ticket. Is that true? Any suggestions?

I feel like i'm asking really dumb questions, but I'm really a baby at this. thank you for your help.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Hi All,
Thanks for all the helpful info. i just joined. will be coming to DR on Nov.9th. I'm renting a condo in Sosua from a friend in the states. i've never been to DR so have lots of questions. I'll be coming for 2-6 months to write. i'm very excited about coming, and also a bit nervous about the unknowns.

So here are my questions:
1.The same questions as Jack about mail. i've tried to set up doing as much business as possible online.

2. phone:The condo comes with internet, thank God. At this time there is no phone in the condo. My friend says she has been told to go to the local grocery store and buy a second-hand phone and prepaid card that gets "loaded" into the phone??? Do i have that right? or is it just as easy to bring a phone with me and a prepaid calling card? Does Cingular cell phones work there?

3. I was thinking of bringing some foodstuff with me of things I may not be able to find there, like some grains, Braggs, almond butter, etc. will I be able to bring them into the country? what do you suggest?

4. I'm assuming i don't need a Visa, i have a passport.

5. Money: i was told it's easiest and best rate to simply get money from an ATM. Is that true?

6. What about shots? I was not planning that unless someone says i need them.

7. i'm really not sure how long I'm staying, probably six months. At this point I have a one way ticket, but assume i'm not going to be allowed to enter DR without an exit ticket. Is that true? Any suggestions?

I feel like i'm asking really dumb questions, but I'm really a baby at this. thank you for your help.

Since I first posted this thread I have learned a lot. I've been living in my new house for about 3 months now and all is going well.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. There is a service in Sosua called EBS on the main street. They can deliver your mail from Miami here. The issue is the cost. I ended up transferring everything to online bill pay and had my mail sent to a relative.

2. Buy a Vonage setup prior to leaving the States or Canada. Go to one of the big box retailers and set it up prior to leaving. Then all you'll need to do is plug it in to the router and you have cost free calls to anywhere in North America.

Cell phones, bring your cell phone from the U.S. it can be converted here and is much cheaper than buying one.

3. Don't bring any food stuffs. You can get whatever you want here.

4. No Visa needed.

5. You are correct about the ATM, however I would open at least another account with another bank prior to leaving. This way if one of your cards is stolen or lost you still have access to money.

6. No shots. At least in the arm. You'll probably be getting a lot of shots in the local bars.

7. One way ticket. They (the Dominicans) only care that you have $10.00 to enter the country. No one checks that you have a return.

Hope this information helps and if you need anything just PM me.

Jack

Yamasa Bound

Oct 22, 2006
So Jack How is the DR compared to HOT Phx? LOL... I am 250 miles south of PHX and planning my move to the DR in 2007 if all goes as planned. My husband is Dominican so I will be in the care of his family and alot of things Americans worry about I will not have issues with as my inlaws are doing alot of footwork for us. But I was wondering how you get your mail through your relatives? I hear there is a local service but it is exp in the DR. Also is the humidity really bad there? Since you are from a dry arrid place like I am you would be able to tell me better than say someone from Florida.. I will be in New Orleans within 30 days to live until we go to the DR..So I will be getting used to the Humidity and inconveniences there so I will not be so shocked without luxuries etc in DR..Does that make since? LOL OK Let me know what you think of the DR, Any troubles with anything? Thanks! Pam

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Hi i am new member and i think this is a very good tool for people that want to move or are living in the D.R.

I am Puertorican and i often come for business to the Dominican Republic but when i come i usually work go to the hotel i have visited the capital and i know about the sites but it is very different when you actually owned a property and live in the D.R. I currently purchase a villa in Casa de Campo i will like to know if anyone could recomend a fast and stable internet conection preferably broadband or DSL flash like they call it here. I have been informed that there is Broadband provided by Telecable nacional please inform me in Puerto rico things are very advance i have Onelink Brodaband with a regular download speed of 6mb and dsl is everywere for $ 24.95 per month and wify is everywere too.

I also have another question i currently have centennial i bring my phone from Puerto rico and it works fine in santo domingo the capital neverthless in casa de campo it works but not as well in Puerto rico there is Verizon i do not want to have a D.R Phone and a Puerto rico Phone because my main residence and work are still in Puerto rico but i want to see if i change to verizon please make recomendations!

flick

Oct 28, 2006
we have just bought a villa in sousa, near the international school, as we are currently based in the uk we feel we need a property management company to look after things for us any thoughts? also when looking at the villa we noticed that there were security bars on the bedroom windows only with an internal grill door to the bedroom part of the house, not very happy about this as the front and patio doors have these little panes of glass anyone could break and then they are in the house. anyone in the area that installs these grills thank you in advance

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
So Jack How is the DR compared to HOT Phx? LOL... I am 250 miles south of PHX and planning my move to the DR in 2007 if all goes as planned. My husband is Dominican so I will be in the care of his family and alot of things Americans worry about I will not have issues with as my inlaws are doing alot of footwork for us. But I was wondering how you get your mail through your relatives? I hear there is a local service but it is exp in the DR. Also is the humidity really bad there? Since you are from a dry arrid place like I am you would be able to tell me better than say someone from Florida.. I will be in New Orleans within 30 days to live until we go to the DR..So I will be getting used to the Humidity and inconveniences there so I will not be so shocked without luxuries etc in DR..Does that make since? LOL OK Let me know what you think of the DR, Any troubles with anything? Thanks! Pam
Hi Pam and a big welcome to the Dr in advance. First off, I don't get mail anymore, before I left the States I set up all of my bills online and the few that still send out paper statements go to a relatives house in Colorado. From there my relative scans the documents and e-mails it to me. I can't tell you how liberating it is to not get all of that mail everyday. If you're a letter writer then you may have issues here, there is a mail system however you would need to post or do a search as I've not used it since I've been here.

The humidity is quite a shock coming from Arizona. It's about the same as the Monsoon season in Arizona, however you get used to it quite quickly and now I even use a light blanket at night to sleep.

Let me know if you have any other questions and do tell where on the island you're moving.

Jack

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Hi i am new member and i think this is a very good tool for people that want to move or are living in the D.R.

I am Puertorican and i often come for business to the Dominican Republic but when i come i usually work go to the hotel i have visited the capital and i know about the sites but it is very different when you actually owned a property and live in the D.R. I currently purchase a villa in Casa de Campo i will like to know if anyone could recomend a fast and stable internet conection preferably broadband or DSL flash like they call it here. I have been informed that there is Broadband provided by Telecable nacional please inform me in Puerto rico things are very advance i have Onelink Brodaband with a regular download speed of 6mb and dsl is everywere for $ 24.95 per month and wify is everywere too.

I also have another question i currently have centennial i bring my phone from Puerto rico and it works fine in santo domingo the capital neverthless in casa de campo it works but not as well in Puerto rico there is Verizon i do not want to have a D.R Phone and a Puerto rico Phone because my main residence and work are still in Puerto rico but i want to see if i change to verizon please make recomendations!
Kemo: As to your first question about DSL Flash. If you do a search you'll find a lot of information about what's currently available in the Sosua area. I live in Sosua as well however Verizon Flash is not available. Since I work from home I ended up purchasing a direct Satellite system that ran around $5000.00USD to install and around $299.00 a month. It's quite expensive however the up and down load speeds are great. I also use Vonage as my home phone service and with my Satellite system the connection quality sucks. In that respect I would not recommend any kind of VOIP for a satellite system.

As for you question about cell service. Please keep in mind that Verizon here is NOT Verizon in the U.S. The company here just bought the name and marketing rights other than that they are completely different. The other issue you may want to consider with your cell service is the cost. Call you provider now and ask how much per minute you're charged while talking in the DR, you may be surprised. I still have Verizon in the U.S. and I took my phone to Verizon here and added a local line.

Jack

trueheart

Oct 31, 2006
New to DR & Overwhelmed

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the helpful info. Jack, thanks for the answers to the questions i asked, although am so new to message boards i could not find the thread again until just a few minutes ago.

So I arrived a couple days ago and feel somewhat overwhelmed and cut off. I'm assuming this is "normal". I did sign up for Vonage and get a dial tone but the call does not complete. I emailed them with no response yet.

The apartment is not as well equipped as I was led to believe and a small child next door cries all the time. I feel more overwhelmed by not speaking the language fluently and by the money system than I expected to be. and you're right Jack, the humidity is shocking to my system.

I am in Sosua and could sure use a friend right now. Is there someone in the area who might want to show me 'the ropes" or be willing to meet for a cup of tea? Also do you know someone I could hire to give me some Spanish lessions? I have had some in the past, but never used it. I think I will pick it up quickly, but would like some help.

Thank you,
Deb trueheart