2006 info on Moving to the DR

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Great minds!!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth Kim - good reply.

Would just add that main hospitals are in Puerto Plata, Santiago and Sto. Domingo.

Ah great minds think alike Whirlybird!!!!!!
Sorry forgot the hospital question!!!!!!

zig-zag

Oct 4, 2007
hi taglhr
we have just bought a house in cruz de veron punta cana inthe process of moving hope to be their before xmas. how have gone about shipping not finding much info on the matter have shipping company but do you need visa,s, or can you just ship.
any info would be helpful
cheers zig-zag

pj476

Oct 16, 2007
Hello everyone,
This site is probably the most informative place to be for those of us interested in the DR. I'm coming down for my 6th trip and wish to purchase a home in the sosua/cabarette area to retire to in 6 years. I'm not wealthy but really love the DR and fear price appreciation will hurt me. Also it gives me something to look forward to and enjoy a few times a year. I think I'm comfortable with most things except how to manage the home until then. Is long term rental feasible or advisable. Any other advice is also appreciated.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello everyone,
This site is probably the most informative place to be for those of us interested in the DR. I'm coming down for my 6th trip and wish to purchase a home in the sosua/cabarette area to retire to in 6 years. I'm not wealthy but really love the DR and fear price appreciation will hurt me. Also it gives me something to look forward to and enjoy a few times a year. I think I'm comfortable with most things except how to manage the home until then. Is long term rental feasible or advisable. Any other advice is also appreciated.
It's a tough call.
If you're buying a house, how can you know what it will be like in 6 years, unless it's in a highly reputed gated community?
You don't want to find yourself with the neighbours from he77.
If it's a condo, it may be easier.
The biggest problem is in knowing if you would really want to retire here.
Most people would suggest renting for at least 6 months first, before purchasing, and in your case, that wouldn't be for another 6 years.
If you do buy, you'd have to be sure that whoever manages it for you, is trustworthy.

billt8552

Oct 22, 2007
how about Samana and Las Terrenas

My wife and daughters and I plan to move to DR in 2 years when I retire. We love the Samana peninsula. Is it a practical place to live? I will retire on US$3200 per month, which will go up to 4100 two years later-three years SocSec will kick in another 1800 per month. Plan to home-school my two daughters who will be 14 and 16 at the time. Would local schooling be better?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My wife and daughters and I plan to move to DR in 2 years when I retire. We love the Samana peninsula. Is it a practical place to live? I will retire on US$3200 per month, which will go up to 4100 two years later-three years SocSec will kick in another 1800 per month. Plan to home-school my two daughters who will be 14 and 16 at the time. Would local schooling be better?
If you mean for availability of goods/shopping, it's not too practical, but it sure is beautiful.

You sound like you'll be OK financially.

As for the schooling, I would suggest you contact Hillbilly.
He's not in your area, but he knows just about all there is to know about the educational system here.

billt8552

Oct 22, 2007
Thanks, Rocky--my wife is from a very rural area of western Virginia and I have simple tastes--we love beautiful! God bless.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Would you adopt me please! ;)

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
What to pack?

What do most people suggest in terms of what to bring from home and what not to bother shipping? Electronics, household goods, etc.? How about those things you CAN'T find anywhere or are too pricey to buy b/c they're HTF and wish you had thought to bring or end up asking someone to send you?